Where have all the redfish gone?

Hey guys. I've been fishing the eastern shore of tampa bay all my life...recently I've not seen redfish like I have in past years..where have they gone???

Replies

• lukkyracerlukkyracer Posts: 451 Deckhand
    You should try Sarasota Bradenton area. Being sarcastic. It is horrible here. Seems like a steady decline the last 3 to 4 years. Personally I wish they would tighten up the regulations.
  • permit_mepermit_me Posts: 795 Officer
    moved to cleaner waters. The red tide, sewage dumps, and continually increasing pressure from anglers would make me relocate too
  • permit_mepermit_me Posts: 795 Officer
    oh, thats right, it did!
  • fishNswimfishNswim Posts: 24 Greenhorn
    edited May 16 #5

They got tired of constantly being run over by chum bat wielding bait chucking meatheads blasting through no-wake zones in tower boats.  
    ~In the abundance of water, the fool is thirsty~
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 8,373 Admiral
    It ain't us commercials this time..

prolly wasn't us back in the early 90's but y'all needed a scapegoat..
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • jbdba01jbdba01 Posts: 141 Deckhand
    Lots of theories around this one - all the way from red tides, more sharks, climate change, fishing pressure, big breeding schools off shore are not pushing into Tampa, more people eating what they catch...

The one that got my attention was when CCA folks said that the redfish hatchery near port manatee has drastically decreased the amount of hatchery released fish into Tampa Bay - they are being released in other parts of the state.

I would put more money on the fact that there is so many more snook now that they are hammering reds and trout.

Regardless, I'm hoping it's a cycle and they'll be back, but many guides that I've spoken to think that they have moved North and aren't coming back.  :(
  • waterdipperwaterdipper Posts: 37 Greenhorn
    The snook ate them all. Not really but they do compete for habitat and food and when one is way up, the other one is going to go down. Especially with all the pressure on them. Hatchery fish have never been a big contributor to the population, so that is not the issue.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file