Summer snook in the surf

andrewthe1andrewthe1 Posts: 436 Deckhand
I am hoping to get a snook from the surf this summer, was going to try around pompano beach-miami area, any tips on what time of year would be good to start?

also any beaches with better access etc as i know most get crowded after 0800
we need more internet money

Replies

• tarponhuntertarponhunter Posts: 285 Deckhand
    Usually Ill start seeing fish show up on the beach around now. Generally though I wait to fish once some bait shows up usually around June. Fish early mornings or evenings and throw small white flies. Don't be afraid to blind cast around bait and in the first trough too
  • andrewthe1andrewthe1 Posts: 436 Deckhand
    Cool thanks! Another thing i often question, knowing snook love structure it is hard for me to not head to the jetties or rocks, I have heard people get them on barren beaches or as you mentioned cruising the trough....maybe I just need to cover more ground in those areas.
  • Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,211 Captain

I've been catching them 200 miles north for the past 6 weeks.

My parents live in cocoa beach so maybe I should just pay them a visit!? lol again even there I do best by the port or the seb inlet, really trying to sight cast some on the fly, so figured south of fort pierce would be best, either way the chase is fun!
  • tarponhuntertarponhunter Posts: 285 Deckhand
    The jetties are definitely a good area to target cause there will often be bait and snook close by, but don't be afraid to walk the beach to the south or north of the jetties as thats where you'll often find cruisers you can sight cast to
    The jetties are definitely a good area to target cause there will often be bait and snook close by, but don't be afraid to walk the beach to the south or north of the jetties as thats where you'll often find cruisers you can sight cast to
    awesome thanks, i cant wait sight fishing is highly addicting!

My parents live in cocoa beach so maybe I should just pay them a visit!? lol again even there I do best by the port or the seb inlet, really trying to sight cast some on the fly, so figured south of fort pierce would be best, either way the chase is fun!
     I'm in Sebastian (currently in the process of moving). Any beach south of pineda cswy is holding snook right now, but when conditions are right for seeing them, they usually don't cooperate. Overcast days are prime, and low tide is easier to fish. The inlet is a different game entirely, and I wish I didn't remember what that place used to be. I remember nights where I ran out of flies, and burning through a spool of 50lb seaguar in 3 days wasn't weird. It isn't like that anymore. You're better off in the surf.

I'm in Sebastian (currently in the process of moving). Any beach south of pineda cswy is holding snook right now, but when conditions are right for seeing them, they usually don't cooperate. Overcast days are prime, and low tide is easier to fish. The inlet is a different game entirely, and I wish I didn't remember what that place used to be. I remember nights where I ran out of flies, and burning through a spool of 50lb seaguar in 3 days wasn't weird. It isn't like that anymore. You're better off in the surf.
    wow that is crazy, I never got it that good, but did manage my fair share as a rookie....havnt been in a year.

Good to know they are still around in the surf, I used to only do well there during the mullet run, sucks they dredge filled the beaches around the surf break RC's used to do well in the coquina areas that are now covered :neutral:

wow that is crazy, I never got it that good, but did manage my fair share as a rookie....havnt been in a year.

Good to know they are still around in the surf, I used to only do well there during the mullet run, sucks they dredge filled the beaches around the surf break RC's used to do well in the coquina areas that are now covered :neutral:

Mother Nature is having none of it, and the majority of what they filled in is already gone. I avoid those rocks when I can. I'm fine with losing a few flies to treacherous habitat, but digging a line out of those rocks isn't fun. 
          It's shaping up to be a very good year in the surf. I'm seeing groups of HEAVY fish out there. And please keep your fish wet. Should you feel the need to lay a fish down in the sand for a photograph, just remember that most of us view that as a shameful practice (we've all done it). Don't be that guy. I've been known to occasionally buy pancakes for strangers I spot treating their fish with the respect they deserve.

Mother Nature is having none of it, and the majority of what they filled in is already gone. I avoid those rocks when I can. I'm fine with losing a few flies to treacherous habitat, but digging a line out of those rocks isn't fun. 
          It's shaping up to be a very good year in the surf. I'm seeing groups of HEAVY fish out there. And please keep your fish wet. Should you feel the need to lay a fish down in the sand for a photograph, just remember that most of us view that as a shameful practice (we've all done it). Don't be that guy. I've been known to occasionally buy pancakes for strangers I spot treating their fish with the respect they deserve.

Agreed, I learned a lot from how mountain trout guys treat their catches and how the fishes slime coat provides similar protection as our(humans) skin.......Im sure you know the pain of watching careless north jetty guys net up a big fish, let it flop on metal grates(cheese graders) and concrete then dont net it down but let it do the belly flop of death......I think they need a "net up net down" policy but that deserves its own post!

Cool you are seeing some tanks, as crappy as the banana river is the ocean seems cleaner than ever.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file