Mono or Braid?

Trying to decide if I want to use mono or braid on my mahi pitching reels? What does the board say. 

I was thinking maybe braid, so I could also use these setups for bottom fishing just in case. 

Replies

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 7,698 Admiral
    Lets do 2 stroke or 4 stroke too.    and live bait vs artis.   

Lets really get this place going 
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • WideSpread25WideSpread25 Posts: 46 Greenhorn
    Thanks, 

I'm just trying to decide if I want to keep these as dedicated mahi pitch bait setups, and go with 15-20# mono. Or use them as bottom setups also, and use 40-50# braid. 

Not trying to start war between mono vs. braid, ha
    I think there is a place on my boat for both braid and mono both serve different purposes.  my advice...buy more gear!   that way you don't have to decide, better yet and actually cheaper yet buy another spool for your current setups if they're spinning gear and spool one of each!  that way you can change out in a heartbeat and get back at it. 
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • Just 1 MoreJust 1 More Posts: 105 Deckhand
    What did we ever do, how did we ever catch fish before braid ???? 
  • Gary MGary M Posts: 13,058 AG
    You can get more yards of braid line on a reel since it's thinner but a mahi pitch rod wouldn't need miles of line.

I've never warmed up to braid but my yellowtail spinners only hold about 185 yards of mono. I got spooled and lost a nice fish on a Tortugas trip last year so I'm going to re-spool with braid and then have a 30 foot top shot of Fluoro for leader.
  • RJMurphy4142RJMurphy4142 Posts: 89 Greenhorn

I have four dedicated "offshore" spinners that all have braid.  These would be considered my mahi pitch rods.  One of the reasons I use braid on these setups is because I always have two of them rigged with a bucktail jig can can get more distance casting.

I only have mono on 5 setups....three of them are for yellowtail and have 12 lb pink ande.  I use them maybe 5-10 days a year.  The other two are 20 lb mono setups, on conventional reels, for kings/nearshore bottom fishing. 

I have four dedicated "offshore" spinners that all have braid.  These would be considered my mahi pitch rods.  One of the reasons I use braid on these setups is because I always have two of them rigged with a bucktail jig can can get more distance casting.

I only have mono on 5 setups....three of them are for yellowtail and have 12 lb pink ande.  I use them maybe 5-10 days a year.  The other two are 20 lb mono setups, on conventional reels, for kings/nearshore bottom fishing. 

I've got 12lb cajun red line and that stuff is great.  I can't imagine 12lb braid being much if any better cast wise.   It's probably less abrasion resistant though, but that's what leaders are for. 
    Thanks everyone, 

I'm thinking I'm going to use 30# braid, around 300 yards. Then use about 50-60' of 30# mono as a topshot. Then I would double up the mono with a bimini or spider hitch, and tie on some flouro leader. 

The reels are Penn Fierce 6000's, and I'm going to use the braid just to add more line to the reel. 
  • cameron sleepcameron sleep Posts: 427 Deckhand
    You never know when this guy is out there! Three casts with a three hook weighted king fish rig, Penn battle reel, about 50 feet of 30 pound mono top shot, 300 feet of new 40 pound braid, over backer line. First run it took all the braid but 5 or 10 feet. On Yankee Capts, March 2017, thanks Capt Greg!
  • AOKRVsAOKRVs Posts: 1,630 Captain
    Braid on pitch rods just in case that big boy comes around
    I use pitch rods for flat lines too - you might catch this guy
    or this gal

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Marathon, FL -- World Cat 320CC -- Fishing/Snorkeling/Sunset Cruise

. www.AOKCharters.com

. www.AOKRVs.com   -- The best prices on the best best brands everyday.

Thanks everyone, 

instead of doing the mono top-shot, I'm just going to go with 30# braid, with some mono backing. That way I can use it for pitching to dolphin, and Blackfin Tuna's at the humps or use to bottom fish for Muttons/groupers. 

What brand braid do you all suggest, and what color? I was thinking PowerPro Maxcuatro 'Moss Green'. 
    Maxcuatro = thinnest
    I don't topshot just use leader 3-30' - mono or fluoro
    depending on targeted fish
    for Mahi pitching use snap swivel and 3-4' leader w/hook
    have extra leaders made up for quick reload
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

. www.AOKCharters.com

AOKRVs said:
    Maxcuatro = thinnest
    I don't topshot just use leader 3-30' - mono or fluoro
    depending on targeted fish
    for Mahi pitching use snap swivel and 3-4' leader w/hook
    have extra leaders made up for quick reload
    Monte what's the weather looking like down there?   It's crappy here hopefully this front moves on in the next 10 days. 
  • andrewthe1andrewthe1 Posts: 436 Deckhand
    braid lasts longer, i like daiwa j braid
    we need more internet money
  • HookedUp330HookedUp330 Ida,MI. Tarpon Springs, FL.Posts: 10 Greenhorn
    I like braid better. I will also never ever own a 2 stroke again. And I like live bait. 
    Back at other job thru sat - Will be back down sunday
    Weather has been off and on - couple good days couple windy
    Grouper opening is was blowing 25-30
    Water is looking good - lots of catching, Grouper, tile, tuna and Dolphin
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

. www.AOKCharters.com

Thanks everyone, 

I ended up using 50# power pro, since I would be using these setups for bottom fishing as well. Think I'm just going to double line the braid with a spider hitch, then tie a small spro swivel on the end and attach some flouroleader at the end. For live bait, do you prefer small J-hooks or using live bait hooks like kahle hooks. Thanks everyone. 
    I don't mind circle hooks for live bait seems like the fish end up hooking themselves.    But for cut bait i use long shank J hooks

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file