Yellow Jack Sashimi - Great Call!

xeniaxenia Posts: 148 Deckhand
I read a recent post where someone asked the best way to eat Yellow Jack.  I got one on Saturday along with some Black Grouper, and when I asked my brother which he preferred I give him, he immediately said Yellow Jack.  I asked him how he likes to eat it and he said sashimi.  OK, maybe they are on to something.  In all my years of fishing I have to admit that every Yellow Jack I caught I sold for good money, and never actually tried it.  Well, I saved a little bit for myself and just tried it as sashimi.  Nothing fancy, just the pure fish with half ponzu and half soy sauce.  Unbelievably good!  I've had many other species as sashimi, with up to today wahoo being my favorite, up to today.  Guess who's eating the next Yellow Jack I catch?

Replies

• sk018sk018 Posts: 2,699 Captain

Cero Mackeral is up there with wahoo if you haven't tried it.

My favorites as sashimi are Wahoo, Cero Mackeral, tuna, Rainbow Runner, Cobia, Yellow Jack

• tankardtankard Posts: 6,314 Admiral
    Yellow jack is fantastic I wish we had them up here in the Big Bend! Nope, we got crevalles. Amazing how two fairly closely related fish can be so very different in edibility.
  • DOCKSIDEDOCKSIDE Posts: 1,699 Captain
    Crevalles ain't bad.  White flaky meat.
    somewhere south of disorder and on earth... mostly .
    ..............................................................................
    IBEW LU 433
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 22,199 AG
    Just had some fresh mackerel prepped with the typical salt and then vinegar.

Outstanding!

http://www.sushiencyclopedia.com/sushi-menu/mackerel_sushi.html

133cbf2b243368b1ddb2f591a1988076--beach-posters-florida-travel.jpg
    DOCKSIDE said:
    Crevalles ain't bad.  White flaky meat.

Where is this white flaky meat you speak of? Believe me I've tried to like them, I even like bonito, but I have never been able to make crevalle palatable.
  • Fish HaidFish Haid Posts: 7,863 Admiral
    I don't care for raw fish, but I really did enjoy the cooked bonito.
    23895.gif
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 9,611 Admiral
    Tell me, what is this "yellow jack" you speak of?
    quick google image search.  We catch them in the keys, ive never seen one in Sarasota area. 

My dumb friend caught a 10 pounder last time he was in the keys....and threw it back thinking it was a short amberjack.

Doofus. Facepalm. When he showed me the pic I almost cried.

edited May 18 #11
    sk018 said:
    quick google image search.  We catch them in the keys, ive never seen one in Sarasota area. 
    Thanks.  That's a species I've never caught.

The first one I ever caught was in stiltsville, or what was left of it. Fortunately I had read Vic Dunaway's fish ID book and he said they were excellent. So I kept it, even though it felt strange keeping a jack. Glad I did.
    edited May 18 #13
    Incidentally, one of the most delicious sushi fish, often called "yellowtail" or "hamachi" is also a member of the jack family:

Seriola quinqueradiata

It is extensively farmed for the sushi market, and my mouth is watering as I type this.  :)

Yep. Basically a cold water amberjack.

And let's not forget that pompano and permit are delicious too, so not all jacks are trash fish!

Incidentally, one of the most delicious sushi fish, often called "yellowtail" or "hamachi" is also a member of the jack family:

Seriola quinqueradiata

It is extensively farmed for the sushi market, and my mouth is watering as I type this.  :)

And that fish's cousin in the keys known as the "rainbow runner" is equally as good raw
    tankard said:

And let's not forget that pompano and permit are delicious too, so not all jacks are trash fish!

Yep just like Cero mackerel and Wahoo are mackerals and IMO the BEST Sashimi there is.
  • RareRare Posts: 214 Deckhand
    Do enjoy catching them on the bridges in the keys...

• jensenjeff1955jensenjeff1955 Posts: 20 Greenhorn
    I've always known them as Bar Jacks, my son caught these a few years ago in Islamorada one of our favorite fish to eat 
    sk018 said:
    tankard said:

Yep just like Cero mackerel and Wahoo are mackerals and IMO the BEST Sashimi there is.

Spanish macks make great sashimi as well. Kingfish are....well...decent smoked. And that's about it...
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 3,368 Captain
    I've always known them as Bar Jacks, my son caught these a few years ago in Islamorada one of our favorite fish to eat 
    Those are Yellows. Bars are similar but less Yellow and rarely get that large. Bars also have a more pronounced blue stripe along their back under the dorsal. Both are good eating though. Bars are also a little more streamlined like a Blue Runner.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• RareRare Posts: 214 Deckhand
    edited May 22 #21
    Sometimes when young YJ are not trying to destroy your lure at the bridge you get a chance at the big boys-  These are Jerry's lost kids....

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file