5/10 St Augustine Offshore

First off, I'm not sure why people are so hush hush about putting up reports.  I thought thats what this forum was for, helping out fellow fishermen and women.   It's not like you're giving out numbers, Just a heads up that something might be worth fishing for.  Oh well, here's my report.  I hope it helps.

Left Vilano yesterday at about 630am, just in time to watch the sun pop up on the ride out.  Seas were nice, just a spread out ground swell.  Was able to run 30kts all the way out.  Stopped off in the 120' area to check water temps (74) and we saw some nice weed mats and lines starting to form.  Checked a few out with nothing to show.  Continued east and when we crossed over a drop off from 178-210' I noticed a real nice bottom piece.  Marked it for bottom fishing later.  Water was blue as could be and temp was up to about 75-76 degrees.  started getting lines in the water around 280' and trolled east.  Somewhere around 500' for absolutely no reason the line goes off......FISH ON.  everybody worked well together and got the fish in the boat.  About a 18-20lb cow.  Lines back out, trolled over the exact spot and nothing, so we continued out to 600' then spun around.  Got back to that spot from the first hookup and the outrigger goes off.  Half way through reeling that one in another line goes off.  Double hook up and both fish in the boat.  Same size, 1 cow 1 bull.  Never saw anything else swimming with them.  Continued trolling and had a nice dolphin come look at the spread but never bit.  Trolled until about 1230 and picked up lines and went back to bottom fish that spot.  First drop....double triggers.  Pulled in a couple more of those and then the bar jacks started chewing :| Not much more on the bottom bite.  From the sound of the radio it sounded like the afternoon bite was on fire.  Mahis, tuna, wahoo, sails, and a blue marlin hook up.  Oh well, looking back I wish we would have committed to one or the other but either way it was a great day and we put some good fish in the box.  Seas were slick calm for the ride in at 47kts.  

If y'all can get out there then do it.  Mahis are chewing.  I'll put up some pictures shortly

Tight lines, Matt

Replies

• StayinLazyStayinLazy Posts: 313 Deckhand
  • JettyDawgJettyDawg Posts: 111 Deckhand
    Nice haul of fish.
  • AltonAlton St AugustinePosts: 9 Greenhorn
    Good report nice catch. 
  • ShelShel Posts: 1,023 Officer
    Nice job! Thanks for the report.
  • Tony RomaTony Roma Posts: 215 Deckhand
    Thanks for the report
  • JesseKJesseK JACKSONVILLEPosts: 7 Greenhorn
    Thanks for the good read. 
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 4,411 Captain
    Some good eating for a while there.
  • Sea-SquatchSea-Squatch Posts: 1,382 Officer
    Solid day of fishing!
  • Another Day at The DockAnother Day at The Dock Posts: 52 Greenhorn
    I agree with you on the lack of reports, not like you're giving away any spots. Great report
  • Sky KingSky King Posts: 311 Deckhand
    Great looking fish box. Thanks for the detailed report. 
    Signature3.jpg
  • EarthmoverEarthmover Posts: 195 Deckhand
    Nice report 
  • BottomBumpinBottomBumpin Posts: 923 Officer
    edited May 14 #13
    stud trigs!!  congrats and thanks for giving us your fishing spots  :#

• andrewthe1andrewthe1 Posts: 436 Deckhand
    x2 on the jumbo triggers! Are those bar jacks any good to eat?
    we need more internet money
  • cftsmokecftsmoke JacksonvillePosts: 7 Greenhorn
    Thanks for the info.  Been traveling for 3 weeks and missed the warmup and good weather.  Coming home on a redeye to a week of wind and rain.  Awesome
  • Knotty DreadKnotty Dread Posts: 116 Deckhand
    edited May 15 #16
    shallowv said:
    They look a little like alcamo jacks to me
    Shallowv, on second look, I think you are right.  The first photo shows the elongated dorsal fin...which indicates an almaco.
  • shallowvshallowv Posts: 112 Deckhand
    They look a little like alcamo jacks to me
  • andrewthe1andrewthe1 Posts: 436 Deckhand
    edited May 15 #18
    I thought they were "lesser" but never tried any of the jack varietal except the rainbow runners/yellow jacks in the keys which are really good.
    we need more internet money
  • Cast_N_BlastCast_N_Blast JaxPosts: 896 Officer
    Hard to beat a day on the water with those Regan boys! Where was Bobby?!
  • GigabytethisGigabytethis Posts: 10 Greenhorn
    Penn Squalls? I have a few of them as well and the feedback is still being rendered. 
    Nice bunch of fish.
    Gigabytethis.
     Neptune Beach Florida
  • shallowvshallowv Posts: 112 Deckhand
    Personally I don't think the squalls can stand up to bottom fishing for very long.  I feel like they're more a king fishing reel where you don't need a lot of torque
  • WeberWeber Posts: 82 Greenhorn
    edited May 17 #22
    I have 6 penn squall 60ld, they have been great and held up really well.  I wouldn't hesitate to purchase again.
  • captmikeatleecaptmikeatlee Posts: 19 Greenhorn
    Regan's!!!!!
  • StayinLazyStayinLazy Posts: 313 Deckhand
    stud trigs!!  congrats and thanks for giving us your fishing spots  :#

You're welcome  :D

Well I usually smoke any of the jacks and make fish dip but these things were so full of worms, it was useless to try.

Hard to beat a day on the water with those Regan boys! Where was Bobby?!
    You got that right!  It's always a blast with them.  Bobby was still in the Bahamas I think or else he would've been there.  How you been JoeGigabytethis said:
    Penn Squalls? I have a few of them as well and the feedback is still being rendered. 
    Nice bunch of fish.
    Thank you, it wasn't bad for a last minute trip.  Those Squalls aren't mine but they did the job without any trouble.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file