Need advise for targetting yellowfin tuna from Bimini in June

Team Shark FeverTeam Shark Fever Posts: 8 Greenhorn
Heading to Bimini with the wife and friends in June for 4 days and wanted to get some advise on the yellowfin action up around Great Isaac and beyond. I've been fishing Bimini since the 80's but this will be my first time targeting yellowfin tuna and wanted to know what the chances of actually finding them this time of the year are ? This is the maiden voyage of my newly purchased 2007 Pursuit 335 " Big Hammer "so we're very pumped to make this a memorable trip. Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Replies

• nuevowavonuevowavo Posts: 6,146 Admin
    Does Big Hammer have radar?
    Federales, bring my baby back to me!
  • Team Shark FeverTeam Shark Fever Posts: 8 Greenhorn
    Yes Big Hammer does have a radar ,a Raymarine .
  • Frosty1Frosty1 Posts: 103 Deckhand

Nice boat, I'll be over mid June looking to fish the same area. Was hoping to see any advice on your post.

Good luck with your trip and congrats on a beautiful new boat

• C-QuestC-Quest Posts: 14 Greenhorn
    Nice boat but the closed array radar is not really very ideal for targeting Tuna Birds.  It looks like a 4kw - it can work just will not work more than 1-2 mi most likely assuming it is calm.  You need to set it to manual tuning and turn off Rain, Sea Clutter, and set gain to 100% or as high as possible to give you some noise on the screen.  IF it has echo stretch make sure its on and try to turn off Interference rejection.  (some times its is ok to have on just keep gain at 100%).

There will definitely be tuna around that time of year...good luck
  • remel1993remel1993 Posts: 502 Officer
    Id also like to know as im supposed to be headed there next month for the first time. 
    If I dont answer my phone call, either Im fishing or riding my motorcycle. -Salty Bike Life
  • BullMarketBullMarket Posts: 178 Deckhand
    Shark Fever,  your boat is great.  If you really want tuna fish, upgrade to a 12k open array.  When you do tune the gain to 92% +- a few depending on the sea condition and you will find the birds (3+ miles on a big flock).  If your not going to do that, run up to the canyon in the channel (look at google maps) and fish the two tips of them.  I have crushed it blind trolling out there. Be ready for Blues and Whites as well.  Also if you are willing to run back in the dark, stay still dusk.  That place can be magical the last 30 minutes of the day. 

Good luck and enjoy your boat. 
    Palm Beach Pure Skin Care and Cosmetics PalmBeachPure.com
  • GettinthereGettinthere Posts: 55 Greenhorn
    Get a good bathymetric chart of the channel to the North of Bimini. One that has detail of the contours on the bottom (Mounds\valleys) Those mound points are a good place to start looking for birds. Have a bunch of ballyhoo rigged as you will probably come across some nice rips\weed lines out there that hold nice mahi 
  • probate-rprobate-r Posts: 252 Deckhand
    I too suggest heading up to the NW Channel.  If you don't mind the run, the canyons SE of Lucaya are the spot most people run, to, buts its a significant run from Bimini.  A little closer would be the tuna city area that is roughly N of Great Issac's.  A little closer but it can be a productive area.
    Intrepid 370 - "My Favorite"
  • Team Shark FeverTeam Shark Fever Posts: 8 Greenhorn
    Shark Fever,  your boat is great.  If you really want tuna fish, upgrade to a 12k open array.  When you do tune the gain to 92% +- a few depending on the sea condition and you will find the birds (3+ miles on a big flock).  If your not going to do that, run up to the canyon in the channel (look at google maps) and fish the two tips of them.  I have crushed it blind trolling out there. Be ready for Blues and Whites as well.  Also if you are willing to run back in the dark, stay still dusk.  That place can be magical the last 30 minutes of the day. 

Good luck and enjoy your boat. 
    Thanks Bullmarket for your advice . Can the 12k open array radar be interphase with garmin touch screen and which brand and model would you recommend? Plans are to make it an overnight trip so dusk just means we anchor up around the gingerbreads and target reef fish and giant tiger sharks to tag for NOAA. Can't wait to actually get out there. Thanks again to all for the advice.
  • wanabewanabe Posts: 158 Deckhand
    thats the spirit.. 12 i like furuno .. i have twin tztouch  .. expensive but love them
    they FIND BIRDS!!!
    USCG Captain
    State Certified General Contractor
    State Certified CAM Manager
    State Certified Home Inspector
    State Certified Mold Assessor
    State Certified Mold Remediator
    www.tritonassoc.com
    www.cleanairxperts.com
    www.cleanairinc.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list