Everglades/Miami report

mdp2146mdp2146 SCPosts: 7 Greenhorn

Hi Everyone,

I am planning to bring my family down in two weeks (5/21) to try and put them on some fast action fishing -kids aged 10-14. I planning to target Oscar, Bream, Mayans, and pretty much anything to keep them pulling fish. Looking at the forecast it looks like steady rain for the next week. Just wondering if someone could give me a report of the current fishing conditions and where I should start? I'm planning to stay in Miramar so I will be close to Holiday, Sawgrass, and could even head down towards Miami. Where should I go if the water levels rise?

Thanks so much for your help!

Replies

• bmoodybmoody Posts: 877 Officer

myfwc.com/fishing has a bunch of brochures on urban canals

Boat or no boat?  Holiday park has been a good bet of late, and I wouldn't count it out in two weeks.

• mdp2146mdp2146 SCPosts: 7 Greenhorn

Thanks BMoody!

I have already been doing as much research as possible. Watching YouTube videos, looking for forums like this, searching Google Earth, and I have read just about all of the info on myfwc. I have to say that Florida does an excellent job with making helpful information available for those who care to look!

I will have my boat, a tracker 2072, and am set up to be able to take the family just about anywhere we can back a boat in.

I plan to take one day for myself and try the C100 for peacocks but that will be later in the week if the kids want to take a break.

I have looked closely at Holiday Park and got some pointers from my Uncles who have fished there. One point they made was the water level. If it is too high, the fishing is harder because the fish can easily move out of the channels and into the weeds. The forecast is calling for 4" of rain over the next week so this had me worried a little.

Thanks again for the tip and I will definitely check out Holiday.

• davids8477davids8477 Posts: 201 Deckhand
    Launch on alligator alley at Mm 35.  Go north on the Miami canal for about 3 miles. 
    Fishing there has been great.  
    YMMV cause it is called fishing not catching!
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,227 Moderator
    Good luck ! Looking forward to a report.
    "You'll get your weather"

Thanks Davids8477! I understand the fishing vs catching. I say that myself to a lot of the guys around home who always want to go with me to catch the big ones or just catch a lot of fish. The pics I have of those days are 1 per 10+ days on the water, that's just the days they see. But with me taking the kids, I want to do everything possible that I hedge my bets that they have an active trip. Last year we went to Chesapeake Bay for a week and didn't catch much. We still had a great time but the memories were made playing on the beach and not "in the fish". I think swimming will not be an option in the Florida canals  :#  

I will let you guys know how it goes. Thanks again for all the help!

I was in that canal yesterday - going back there today - and we landed about 40 Large Mouth, 3 mud and numberous brim in about 3 hours. 
    Also LOTS of alligators to see.

• bmoodybmoody Posts: 877 Officer
    Crappie jigs and crankbaits should get just crushed by the oscars and Mayans.  Black with blue fleck senkos and green punkin' or watermelon red flukes are great choice for local LMB.  Don't hesitate to throw 10+ inch worms.

http://myfwc.com/media/30003/Freshwater_cypr_map.pdf  C-14 canal
    http://www.myfwc.com/media/1521460/Freshwater_C1_BlackCreek_Canal.pdf C-1 Canal
    Find others like these here:  https://public.myfwc.com/CrossDoi/Publications/Internet/sSearch.aspx  Use canal or angler guide as search terms.

Holiday/Sawgrass:  http://www.myfwc.com/media/669307/Freshwater_WCAbrochure.pdf

Don't worry too much about 4" of rain, particularly since you're not focused just on bass.  Targeting smaller fish might be better for expectations, you're apt to catch many 10-13" bass out of Holiday Park and that area.

I have a pile of crappie jigs so that should work. Has anyone ever tried fishing a crappie jig under a cork with a straight slow reel? I do this with the kids for bream in the local ponds and it works great. Keeps the jig out of the moss without the kids having to focus on how fast they are reeling. Think this would be the same for the Oscar?
    Starting to get weather forecast into next week and looks like the rain will continue. We are gonna make the best of it no matter what.
    Thanks again for all of the help! 
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 4,973 Captain
    We are getting some much needed rain but the water will not flood back into the grass for another month. It's still Low Water fishing.
    I'd head on out the Alley and catch all kinds of stuff on small lures. Crappie Jigs will load the boat with everything a kid could want..
    Lot's of Bass to be had but no 8 pounders , just tons of 1 to 3's..catch um up.
    Killin and Grillin :grin
    Thanks TRT. Holiday Park and the Miami Canal off of A.A. are definitely our first two spots. Everyone is starting to get excited! 1 to 3 pounders will make happy kids and a happy wife.
    Good morning at the above mentioned canal.  Over 50 bass.  Just be carful of the gators. 
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 4,973 Captain
    Good Job !!
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • troutbomtroutbom Posts: 152 Deckhand
    What davids8477 said. I took my friends grandson out and trolled crappie jigs and crankbaits and couldnt go 50' without a fish. Took another beginner out and trolled crank baits and caught a pile of bass. Took beginner flyrodder out and he did great, mostly on sub surface flies like a clauser. I got constant action on a # 4 Ch/wt popper on a 5 wt and got a bunch of nice bass. Dont be surprised to get a bonus peacock.
    Thanks everyone! Awesome info. A bonus peacock would be great.

Do you guys fish with braid? If so, do you use a leader?
    I use 30 lb braid with a fluorocarbon leader on all my presentations. 
    Usually a 20 lb braid   
  • troutbomtroutbom Posts: 152 Deckhand
    I use 15-20 lb flouro with 10-20 lb  braid using a uni to uni. I mostly fly fish, 12-15 lb fluoro mostly, mono on smmalllest poppers because fluoro sinks.
    Well, just finished up day two here in S Florida.
     Yesterday we fished for around 4 hours on the Miami canal off of AA. Caught a bunch of small bass, small warmouth, two Mayan, one oscar, and one snakehead.
     Today we hit Holiday Park and didn't do much until we ran out to the Miami Canal and as far up as you can go. Caught 34 good sized oscar and mayan and probably twice that many throwbacks. Tried all colors of curly tails, beetle spins, and even worms. Best results was with a black tube bait with yellow skirt. Kids had fun but it was more work than just sitting on a bream bed. They were scattered out and right up against the bank.
     Tomorrow we are going to try the C100 and hopefully hook up with a few peacock. I think fishing the urban canals will be fun for the kids too. One thing is for sure, we are fishing in water unlike anything they will see in SC.
     Hopefully will have a good report tomorrow afternoon. Praying for the rain to hold off a few more days!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file