Penn Battle Reel Repair Question

JustKeepSwimmingJustKeepSwimming Posts: 119 Deckhand
Popped out fishing today (well tried). Once I arrived at the spot I noticed that the reel would get really stiff when the spool was at the lowest point and then free back up. I packed in the fishing and came home and took apart the reel.
After taking the reel apart I can tell that the spool shaft sticks when its almost at its lowest point. I'm guessing it must have a tiny tiny bend in it? I can't actually see by looking but i'm assuming that is the issue. I just wanted to see if anyone else has had this issue? and if they had any idea what causes this? It's not something i've experienced before. The reel fished fine just last week. 

*Edit, I just put the reel back together and noticed that it only sticks if I reel slowly? But i'm assuming the issue is still a slight bend in the spool shaft

Replies

• HadgeHadge Posts: 11 Greenhorn
    I had similar problem , if all parts are in an proper and still bad, you may need a new main gear and pinion gear
  • Alex from GAAlex from GA Posts: 1,148 Officer
    Did you remove the shaft and check it for straightness?  Put it in a drill and mount the drill in a vise.
  • JustKeepSwimmingJustKeepSwimming Posts: 119 Deckhand
    Did you remove the shaft and check it for straightness?  Put it in a drill and mount the drill in a vise.
    Yeah I removed it. I honestly couldn't really tell if it had a bend in it. If it did it was only slight but I guess that would be enough to cause it to stick. 
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 2,831 Captain
    More than one possibility with that kind of symptom... You might do well to take it to a pro... 

I have two of the first generation Battles and they've done well in very hard service.  I was able to get parts for them from Dave's Parts and Service here in Florida,  fishingreelparts.com 

and they're also available at  Scott's up north, https://store.scottsbt.com/Default.aspx
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
    Thank for the links. I'll update with how I get on with the repair
    All fixed. I replaced the spool shaft. 

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file