RON HARPER HAS PASSED ON. (MARCH 20)

I just found out from Max that Ron died on March 20. He had suffered from throat cancer. I haven't seen an obit in local papers yet.

He was the tarpon king around here. He would guide for anything but preferred tarpon. He put me on some giants. He was also one of the best nature photographers on the coast. We spent some enjoyable days on the bay. I'll miss him
OD

https://www.facebook.com/ron.harper.146

Replies

• SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 4,080 Captain
    R. I. P.
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 808 Moderator
    Seems like we're losing too many good friends these days. RIP
    "That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Posts: 1,804 Captain

Ron was a friend, and I knew this was coming any day. Checked on him about 10 days ago to see how he was doing.

Last August when I bought my surf fishing gear Ron met me at the tackle shop in East Point and showed me what to get. He'll be missed.

• loydDloydD GeorgiaPosts: 78 Greenhorn
    RIP
    Lovely Loyd
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 12,034 AG

Is this Capt. Ron that was a member here?

prayers for family and friends.

Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • Old DogOld Dog Posts: 515 Officer
    Yes, Capt'n Ron.
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 4,411 Captain
    I thought that's who it was.  I knew he was sick lately.  I didn't know it was that bad though.  RIP Capt. Ron. 

• CranfieldCranfield Posts: 1,284 Officer
    That is the saddest news, Old Dog and I have been trying to keep in touch with him, but his telephone message machine is full and emails went unanswered.
    We knew he was attending treatment in Panama City which entailed time away from home and subsequent recovery periods and we assumed thats why comms were difficult.
    Having known Captain Ron for at least 15 years, he was quite a private man and not involving others in his struggles is so typical.
    He was a good friend, a first class Guide, very knowledgeable about all things to do with the natural world and most of all, he was a bloody nice bloke.
    RIP Ron, The Bay will miss you, as will we.  
  • skyway andeskyway ande Posts: 2,820 Captain
     o:)  God Bless! Amen
    God, save the South!
  • CranfieldCranfield Posts: 1,284 Officer
    edited April 26 #11

RON WITH A NICE RED

Four years ago when Cranfield and the Old Dog fished with Ron at Apalachicola. Brian with Ron

Capt'n Ron Showing Cranfield Where to Catch a Big 'un.

.Capt'n Ron Waiting Only Somewhat Patiently for Cranfield and the Old Dog to Get Aboard For Some Trout Snatchin'.

Back in '09 I was fishing the upper bay at Apalach and Ron was in the other boat fishing with us. We had caught a bunch of small trout and he gave us a hard time about the lures we were using saying we ought to try using one of the Mirror Lures he was using. (It was about the size of the trout we were catching). He said let me show you something. He ran off a few hundred yards, made a few casts, and came back with this one. We stopped at Blue Water in SJ and picked up several of those Mirror Lures on the way home. I'm a Believer!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file