Suzuki re power

Troutman1956Troutman1956 JacksonvillePosts: 7 Greenhorn
I am wanting to re power my 2006 22ft Key Largo and was wanting to know if the 150hp Suzuki would be a good choice.

Replies

• Itch-2-FishItch-2-Fish Posts: 396 Deckhand
    Suzuki is a quality motor and their pricing the last years have been unbeatable.
    German Shepherd Dogs rule! Adopt one today.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 7,981 Admiral
    Suzuki is a quality motor and their pricing the last years have been unbeatable.
    Has it really?  I mean how much cheaper is a 90hp Zuke vs a 90hp Merc or yammie?    I bet they're all within the same 300-500$ range.    Like Ford/Chevy/Ram.   The entry level trucks are all in the same price range plus or minus some markups.    

I mean if a Yamaha 90 was 9,000 and a suzuki was 7000 that i could see.   But I don't think the difference is that significant. 
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • crackedconchcrackedconch Posts: 356 Deckhand
    I've got 150 Zuke on my 20 foot Pioneer and love it! I've had Yamaha's and old Johnsons, but this is by far my favorite. I've been noticing them installed on a lot of commercial boats including BoatUs. Maintenance on them is less expensive than other brands and they have a great re-power program. Just my .02
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things!!

Pioneer 197 Sportfish
    Suzuki DF150
  • squidvicioussquidvicious Posts: 502 Officer
    based upon my experience: Suzuki motors are very prone to corrosion,i've never seen motors corrode as badly.the earlier big hp motors,these had a bad habit of ingesting throttle blade screws - the screws were not "peened" or sealed with a locktite,the screws were backing off.seen quite a few IAC problems.i'm not a fan of the Suzuki motors,lots of "over engineering"
    can we please stop using the word ISSUE ? it's a PROBLEM
    :wink
  • magellanmagellan Posts: 39 Greenhorn
    I just repowered using a Suzuki a month ago. Got a 250. Love it, saved about 4,000 give or take. One of the reasons I went this way, Yamaha repower motors were not available. All are going to New Manufactors for next 6-9 months. Told this by Yamaha Rep. at recent boat show.  The corrosion issue’s  that I have heard about I think  were on older models. 
  • rudyengrudyeng Posts: 78 Greenhorn
    I had twin DF 250 Zukes for 12 years. Great motors.  My new boat had twin 200 Zukes fly by wire. Loved those as well.  No major issues and super easy to work on.  I did all the oil changes myself.  The IAC valve failed on one of the 250's after 5 years. I replaced both.  Minimal cost. I think it was like $ 200 each.  

No corrosion at all but I'm super careful on the wash down and use corrosion X all over.

Best of luck !
  • crackedconchcrackedconch Posts: 356 Deckhand
    magellan said:
    ......The corrosion issue’s  that I have heard about I think  were on older models. 
    I agree. The research I did before purchasing a boat with them was that the corrosion issue was taken care of many years ago.
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things!!

Pioneer 197 Sportfish
    Suzuki DF150
  • pottydocpottydoc Posts: 2,016 Captain
    You will love the new Suzuki. The corrosion thing was years ago. You’ll probably save at least 1-2k over a Yamaha on top of it, plus as already posted, it’s hard to even find a yam for report right now. Contact International Marine and Outboard Speciallties for prices. They’re both in se Florida, but make some killer deals.
    it's been my experience,the corrosion factor is still there... i'm not a huge fan of Suzuki motors
    There's a bunch of owners out there that would disagree with you. One way or the other, Yamaha has tons of their own issues, and are very hard to find for repowers right now. Plus, the Suzi will most likely be several thousand less, and immediately available. The price difference is real, bunches of reports from guys repwering that saved multiple thousands of dollars going with Suzukis over Yamaha. Way more than might be made up in resell. I'm talking $6000.00 and up on a pair of 250-300 hp motors. Less on smaller ones, but still a significant amount. Go to THT and do a search on the price difference or corrosion. Plenty of first hand reports on there. FYI, with the exception of a number of models, Yam makes a great motor. I've owned four, and would buy another on the right boat. Just not any early/mid F series, any of the 350's, or a F300 that hadn't been run hard during break in, so it wouldn't make oil. 
  • BarrellBarrell Posts: 991 Officer
    Squid you atack Suzuki motors on every sight you belong to. Could you tell us more about your personal ownership and experience like year, horsepower? I personally have owned 5 Suzukis over the last 20 years and they have been all flawless except for my current df300 which had a hicup which was immediately taken care of by Suzuki with no charge. They are not corrosion prone like the Yamahas. Google Yamaha corrosion and you can read for weeks all the problems that Yamaha refused to warranty with corrosion. If Fly by wire is avaliable get it, no matter what the cost. You will never go back to throttle and shifter cables.
    Honestly this thread has made me want a zuke
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 22,393 AG
    We re-powered a work boat with a Tohatsu.

Can't seem to find anything bad about them at all.

Apparently they are either Hondas or Yammies depending on size. According to Hull Truth.
    133cbf2b243368b1ddb2f591a1988076--beach-posters-florida-travel.jpg
    BarrellBarrell Posts: 965 Officer 2:16PM #12 Squid you atack Suzuki motors on every sight you belong to. Could you tell us more about your personal ownership and experience like year, horsepower? I personally have owned 5 Suzukis over the last 20 years and they have been all flawless except for my current df300 which had a hicup which was immediately taken care of by Suzuki with no charge. They are not corrosion prone like the Yamahas. Google Yamaha corrosion and you can read for weeks all the problems that Yamaha refused to warranty with corrosion. If Fly by wire is avaliable get it, no matter what the cost. You will never go back to throttle and shifter cables. owned/operated a marine repair facility - I've seen them all... "attack" ?? because I disagree ? i'm giving what I've seen and repaired,you may not like it,and that's fine.there's a big difference between a guy who owns a boat,his/her experience is limited to one, people in the repair business have a greater experience,due to the number of motors seen/worked on - understand what i'm saying ? corrosion - Honda motor has serious corrosion problems - I would've stated that,if the gentleman asked about Honda motors. Yamaha had a corrosion problem with midsection/exhaust - those were on motors that were already out of warranty,in most cases - yes,there's exceptions.... there's people out there that believe ficht motors were great,based on their owning one and getting very lucky with it. again,i can only state what I've experienced - seems you've a serious problem with that...
    BarrellBarrell Posts: 965 Officer April 25 #12 "Squid you atack Suzuki motors on every sight you belong to. Could you tell us more about your personal ownership and experience like year, horsepower? I personally have owned 5 Suzukis over the last 20 years and they have been all flawless except for my current df300 which had a hicup which was immediately taken care of by Suzuki with no charge." you typed all that,yes ? typed where you have had "a hiccup" - funny,here's you asking for help with a few "hiccups"... could you explain that ? https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/885808-will-df-300-start-without-second-station-wiiring-harness.html https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/832622-cmp-sensor-suzuki-df-300-a.html https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/819766-df300-low-oil-preasure-alarm.html https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/819766-df300-low-oil-preasure-alarm.html https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/807481-2015-df300-overheat-alarm-yesterday.html I also recall a thread you began,concerning servicing your motor - I believe it took you 2 days to replace a waterpump and change the oil ? interesting....
  • firstcoastindfirstcoastind Posts: 11 Greenhorn
    I love reading about old issues with Suzuki's.  It's complet BS!  I have a 300 hp on my 1993 Mako and have had ZERO issues, nearly 2.2 mpg heading into a head sea at 4200-4500 rpm, and nearly 2.82-3.00 mpg heading down.  I've had it over a year and took the cowling off today to change the oil and there was zero corrosion.  There was however a tiny bit of rust on a couple SS screws that are in the water the entire time the motor is in the saltwater.  Saltwater + Metal = EVENTUAL RUST.  

Don't listen to the "Negative Nancy's" on these boards because this is the only place their babble gets rewarded with a response.  They're mad because they own Mercury's, or upset becasue they paid 4K more a Yamaha with 3 years less warranty, but more importantly they wish they had a Suzuki!

BUY A SUZUKI, you won't be disappointed!

Thanks,

Jeremy MacDonald

1993 Mako 221B
    2017 SUZUKI DF300hp
  • Plastered2850Plastered2850 Posts: 1,322 Officer
    I have 2100 hours on my pair of 300 Suzuki still
     running great.They are 2008.
  • CaptJCaptJ Posts: 534 Officer
    Seems all the major brands are pretty good, but there are a few other factors to consider such as resale value, parts/service availability in your area, and obviously initial cost. Here in the Keys Yamaha was the way to go for me. Sold my old ones in an hour, and service/price were far and away better locally. I liked the Suzukis as well, but they've raised prices due to Yamaha's inventory issues. Fortunately the dealer I went with had new 150's in stock, and price was actually a little less then that quoted by the Suzuki dealer (of which there are only 2 in the entire Keys).
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 2,026 Captain
    Has it really?  I mean how much cheaper is a 90hp Zuke vs a 90hp Merc or yammie?    I bet they're all within the same 300-500$ range.    Like Ford/Chevy/Ram.   The entry level trucks are all in the same price range plus or minus some markups.    

I mean if a Yamaha 90 was 9,000 and a suzuki was 7000 that i could see.   But I don't think the difference is that significant. 
    Obviously you haven’t priced outboards recently. I’ll take that bet my man 
    You should have been here yesterday
    For the most part, the Suzis are $1000.00's cheaper. If you're shopping, call Outboard Specialtis, and International Marine for prices. 
  • bonebone Posts: 1,057 Officer
    My twin 140 suzukis are 5 years old and have been in the shop 7 times. been there now for 2 months. Mechanic quit trying to fix them until the Suzuki extended warranty people pay him. Computers, IAC valves, throttle bodies, injectors, tilt trim motors have been replaced and they still dont run. So good luck
  • grey2112grey2112 Posts: 106 Deckhand

I think it is unfair for anyone to give a blanket statement like "X brand has corrosion problems" - yes, certain years and makes/models have had issues, but a lot of them are blown out of proportion, or perhaps only a few of those models had issues.  Others have obviously had no problems with the same exact motor.

I have a 2013 Honda BF250 that I bought new.  Have over 600 hours on it now, works flawlessly, no corrosion issues, great MPG, has been very reliable, and I now do my own maintenance.  I would highly recommend a Honda or Tohatsu (the larger HP Tohatsus are simply rebadged black colored Hondas).  Great warranty, too.  But the Zukes are also well-regarded and less expensive than a comparable Yammie.  I'd honestly (just my opinion) be a little leery right now of any Yammies come off the assembly line since I've got to imagine that some short-cuts might get made in the production process if they are so behind and churning them out as fast as possible - Murphy's Law, you know.

bone said:
    My twin 140 suzukis are 5 years old and have been in the shop 7 times. been there now for 2 months. Mechanic quit trying to fix them until the Suzuki extended warranty people pay him. Computers, IAC valves, throttle bodies, injectors, tilt trim motors have been replaced and they still dont run. So good luck
    Both motors have had the same exact problems? And you have a mechanic that cant figure any of those issues out? There's more to this story. And, FYI, I dont own, and have never owned a Suzuki, so this isn't a homer post. I'd be looking for a new mechanic. 
  • BarrellBarrell Posts: 991 Officer
    Squid you atack Suzuki motors on every sight you belong to. Could you tell us more about your personal ownership and experience like year, horsepower? I personally have owned 5 Suzukis over the last 20 years and they have been all flawless except for my current df300 which had a hicup whic
    pottydoc said:
    bone said:
    Both motors have had the same exact problems? And you have a mechanic that cant figure any of those issues out? There's more to this story. And, FYI, I dont own, and have never owned a Suzuki, so this isn't a homer post. I'd be looking for a new mechanic. 
    I think bone is squids kid.!!
    mr barrel : you do realize I owned/operated a marine repair service for 20+ yrs,right ? there's a big difference between 1 person owning 1 motor/boat,and an individual working/owning a busy repair shop.patterns develop,common problems become quite apparent - that comes from experience - something you clearly lack,your asking for advice and guidance,to perform a very simple maintenance operation proves that point... funny,you claim "a hiccup" and I pointed out 3 you've had...perhaps you've ordered a new 350 ? heard they're being held for updates,quite a few problems with them - a friend of mine,a dealer told me that... I apologize for stating my experiences....didn't realize stating experiences was "attacking" tell me,how many kayaks and paddle boards have you rigged with Suzuki motors ?

So you're telling me a 90hp Suzuki will be thousands of dollars less than a 90hp Yamaha?  Not buying it.   I saw Etecs at the boat show, 10 grand.  Yamaha 90s, same boat show, 10 grand.   They're all around 10 grand, or if you want to get technical, they're all around $7999 plus rigging, and installation.    

So you're telling me a 90hp Suzuki will be thousands of dollars less than a 90hp Yamaha?  Not buying it.   I saw Etecs at the boat show, 10 grand.  Yamaha 90s, same boat show, 10 grand.   They're all around 10 grand, or if you want to get technical, they're all around $7999 plus rigging, and installation.    

At least $1000 more on the yammy . Not 3-5 hundred as you insisted before. Rigging and controls are also signmore expensive for Yamaha’s. I just priced Yamaha controls for a second station. Take a look. For bigger outboards the difference becomes much more significant 
    @Saltygatorvet
    On the bigger motors I believe you.  I just wasn't convinced that you could spend thousands less on a Suzuki 90 vs any other 90.   
    @Saltygatorvet
    On the bigger motors I believe you.  I just wasn't convinced that you could spend thousands less on a Suzuki 90 vs any other 90.   
    And a 6 year warranty vs 2. Some Yamaha’s are back ordered, so you might not even be able to get one. Check the price difference on a 350
    @Saltygatorvet
    And a 6 year warranty vs 2. Some Yamaha’s are back ordered, so you might not even be able to get one. Check the price difference on a 350
    Yeah i heard something to the effect that all the ones 200 and above are going to boat manufacturers for whatever reason in 2018 and you can't even get one right now.  That would certainly drive up prices.   I haven't really heard anyone hard core complaining about the new suzukis.  I'd repower if i had 10 grand lying around, actually i'd probably go bigger on my boat to begin with first. 

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file