Where to get out of the wind

My wife and I always take a couple of days off after tax season and go to the coast.
This year we are taking the kayaks and Friday will take a little trip up Wakulla River from Hwy 98.
But Saturday I was planning on launching at Shell Point but the wind prediction for Saturday is terrible. 16 to 17 mph ENE.
Do y'all think that I could get up in Oyster Bay and it would be somewhat protected from the wind. Or should I just leave 
the kayak's at home. 
Thanks for your advice.

I can't give you a sure-fire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time.
Herbert Bayard Swope
US editor & journalist (1882 - 1958)

Replies

• SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 4,080 Captain
    If you leave them at home, the wind won't blow!  ENE wind, Oyster Bay may be alright.
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
  • Spanky DunlapSpanky Dunlap Posts: 622 Officer
    I know you NEED to catch a fish after Tax Season. I had the same NEED and was lucky to get  on some yesterday afternoon.  

But......it blew 15 to 20 after lunch and while my Gheenoe LT25 is a sturdy little craft it was a slow ride back the ramp. 

Honestly, it's no fun to fish in that kind of wind anywhere on the coast. Pick another river to explore and just enjoy the sunshine.    :)

It is very difficult to win an argument with an educated man and darn near impossible to win one with an idiot.
  • skyway andeskyway ande Posts: 2,819 Captain
    St Marks river is good as well and it gots some fish in it!
    God, save the South!
  • jcbcpajcbcpa Posts: 1,424 Officer
    Thank you all for the replies. We'll play it by ear and maybe give it a shot somewhere on Saturday.
    Either way, I can hardly wait to get down there. I'll post up a report if anything worth posting about.
    I can't give you a sure-fire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time.
    Herbert Bayard Swope
    Just a cold drink and the salt air make it worth it.
  • fishinbugfishinbug Posts: 281 Deckhand
    The armpit in Alligator Harbor.
  • tapatetapate Posts: 5,168 Admiral
    I’ll be out of the wind in an oyster bar in Apalachicola. I highly recommend it!
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 802 Moderator
    tapate said:
    I’ll be out of the wind in an oyster bar in Apalachicola. I highly recommend it!
    Pate, are you going to the bash?
    "That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)
    tapate said:
    Pate, are you going to the bash?
    No plan to. 

Just running down to spend the night to celebrate an anniversary sat pm.
    jcbcpa said:
    Thank you all for the replies. We'll play it by ear and maybe give it a shot somewhere on Saturday.
    Either way, I can hardly wait to get down there. I'll post up a report if anything worth posting about.

So how'd it go?
    "That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)
    I got out of the wind eating smoked mullet, oysters, and cobia and protected my lips from getting chapped with a lot of  OCBC first light of day. 
  • jcbcpajcbcpa Posts: 1,424 Officer
    We had a wonderful weekend. Got down about 3:00 on Friday and since the wind was predicted to be worse on Saturday than Friday we decided to fish Friday afternoon. We launched at the Blue Dolphin Drive launch at Oyster Bay and fished the first oyster bar back towards Shell Point. There's a channel that goes through it. It's a beautiful spot and we didn't venture too far from it for fear that the wind would kick up and catch us too far out. Anyway, my wife was the only one of us to catch a fish. She caught 2 big sail cats fishing with a white gulp. We didn't have any other bites for a long while and then all of a sudden my wife yells to me that she's got a shark. I peddle over to her to help and the fight's on. This fish pulled us both all over that bay for I don't know how long. I didn't think it was a shark but didn't know what it was. She finally gave out and gave me the pole and I got it to the yak and it was a nice Jack. Pound for pound I don't know of anything that fights like that. He was released to fight another day.  We were worn out after that and left to go have a drink and talk about our adventure. 
    On Saturday, we had breakfast, toured around for awhile and finally launched at the 98 bridge on the Wakulla River. 
    We went up the river for a couple of hours and then leisurely floated back down, stopping along the way to take some pictures, have a snack and just enjoy the day. I will say, Saturday isn't really the day to enjoy peace and quite on the Wakulla River. It was packed with people. We saw one guy on a cabin boat with 2 motors trying to go up the river right at the ramp. It was too big to go under the bridge. We enjoyed our little trip nevertheless. Can't wait to get down again. 

Herbert Bayard Swope
    That's a great weekend.

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)
    Great report, glad ya'll had a good weekend.
  • skyway andeskyway ande Posts: 2,819 Captain
    That's a fat Jack!
    God, save the South!
    Sounds like the kind of relaxing outdoor time you needed after Tax Season. I convinced my lovely wife to take a ride up the Wakulla on Friday. I have always enjoyed the peace and beauty of that river. I can remember fishing and swimming there as a kid. We idled the whole way up and back, saw some Manatees and a couple of Osprey's, and just thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. 
    It is very difficult to win an argument with an educated man and darn near impossible to win one with an idiot.
    One sad note was the shocking lack of clarity along the Wakulla River. The water is stained kind of a tannin color more like the St. Marks. It was a far cry from the crystal clear waters of my memory. A very sad sight.  

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file