MINWR Scheduled PUBLIC MEETINGS

Rich MRich M Posts: 890 Officer
edited April 19 in General Hunting #1

Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge

Invites the Public to Attend Waterfowl Hunt Workshops

Titusville, FL:  The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (Service) is holding two waterfowl hunt workshops for Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge (NWR, Refuge), as listed.

·         Wednesday, May 2, 2018 - 5:00-6:45 pm, Port St. John Public Library, 6500 Carole Ave, Cocoa, FL  32927

·         Saturday, May 5, 2018 - 10:00-11:45 am, Titusville Public Library, 2121 S. Hopkins Ave, Titusville, FL 32780

The public is invited to attend either or both workshops; each of the workshops will be similar.  We will discuss the Refuge’s history and impoundment development; biological trends and habitat management; the waterfowl hunt program, including hunting ethics and safety; and your ideas, concerns, and comments for the waterfowl hunt program.

Ideas, concerns, and comments regarding the waterfowl hunt program at Merritt Island NWR may be submitted to the Refuge:

·         In person at either of the workshops;

·         In writing by email to minwrhuntprogram@fws.gov; or

·         In writing by mail to Waterfowl Hunt, Merritt Island NWR, P.O. Box 2683, Titusville, FL 32781-2683.

We look forward to seeing you at one of the workshops and/or hearing from you.

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service is committed to providing access to this public meeting for all participants.  If you need alternative formats or services because of a disability or have any questions concerning a reasonable accommodation, please contact Ms. Julia Bumbaca at 703-358-2349 or Julia_Bumbaca@fws.gov, TTY 800-877-8339 with your request by close of business April 25, 2018.  Please direct all requests for sign language interpreting services, closed captioning, or other accommodation needs to Ms. Bumbaca by this date.

Replies

• Rich MRich M Posts: 890 Officer
    I also want to say that I have not spoken to anyone at USFWS since the February 27, 2018 meeting - no idea what is going to be covered.

I'll see whoever shows up on Wednesday - not able to do the Saturday meeting.
  • PinmanPinman Posts: 1,283 Officer
    I enjoyed the round table discussion meeting in February.  Don't know what to think of these being only an hour and 45 allotted time....
    edited April 18 #4
    With such a short time-frame - I think it is just gonna be them presenting info.  

You coming up?
    Ill have to see. Wed is iffy from this far.  Sat maybe
  • Big MakBig Mak Posts: 1,604 Captain
    Have y'all seen this?
  • H20dadH20dad Posts: 689 Officer
    A guide who wants to screw the public for his business. Shocking. I’m shocked. My level of shock is at full. 

Ban all guides from working in the wildlife refuge.....
  • binellishtrbinellishtr Posts: 7,381 Admiral
    A conflict of interest for sure. I am seeing more and more of that lately.
    Duck hunters have to remember that we are but 1 of the user groups.

Duck hunting could cease to be a viable activity if they actually degrade levies around the potholes. On the bright side, at least we won't have to fight over mm motor use, trophy ducks, chara, and fresh water habitat anymore because there won't be any....
    Let's all take a deep breath and remember that we had a February 27 meeting where the refuge was talking about maintaining fresh water habitat in the impoundments.

We'll find out at the meeting.
  • navigator2navigator2 Posts: 22,395 AG
    Big Mak said:
    Have y'all seen this?

Don't act surprised. Remember that **** who called himself Shadow here about 10 years ago? SOS, different year. Board pullers. If they pull that stunt below, I hope ALL the sea grass dies. Toilet water. Karma.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • N. CookN. Cook Posts: 1,917 Captain
    The Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge was not established to improve fishing...MINWR was established first and foremost for BIRDS, including all waterfowl....including ducks of all species....The FRESH water impoundments were the attraction for the great variety of birds using the area and remain crucial to the mission of the Refuge....Pulling the boards on the structures or any vandalism altering the intention of the Refuge should be prosecuted as a crime.
    N. Cook said:
    The Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge was not established to improve fishing...MINWR was established first and foremost for BIRDS, including all waterfowl....including ducks of all species....The FRESH water impoundments were the attraction for the great variety of birds using the area and remain crucial to the mission of the Refuge....Pulling the boards on the structures or any vandalism altering the intention of the Refuge should be prosecuted as a crime.
    Sounds like the feds have a good tip to follow on one of the possible board puller. Maybe a sting operation. 
    edited April 24 #15
    I agree h20, but i highly doubt they will do anything meaningful. History  has shown that they believe it's easier for them to simply regulate the miscreants into compliance. ;)
    Lucky nobody dumps trash out there..otherwise it would be locked up if SFWMD operated it.
  • N. CookN. Cook Posts: 1,917 Captain
    Bumping this up.....Richard will be at the Weds. Meeting...I will be at the Sat. Meeting....

These are the meetings the USFWS promised would be held to give all the duck hunters a chance to weigh in with their comments.....I hope we get a good turnout......especially from those who have expressed opinions on the various forums....
  • HuntnfeeshHuntnfeesh Posts: 234 Deckhand
    Yeah they promised a presentation,  a proposal of changes, an open forum with small table discussion access to refuge personnel... in an hour and 45 minutes? Total? Yeah they're either expecting poor turnout or plan on very little open forum. 
  • HuntnfeeshHuntnfeesh Posts: 234 Deckhand
     I'll definitely be at 1 if not both, depending on work
  • gladesmangladesman Posts: 816 Officer
    Hunters should have tape recorders on every discussion table - to verify at a later date if what USFWS says the comments were is actually true. Agency will be taking notes and/or recording for later written documentation. Reason for mentioning is that at a meeting with NPS managers one night the NPS lady writing my verbal comments on a tear sheet as I spoke composed a statement that would have become part of the LEGAL record meaning the exact opposite from what I stated moments earlier. My comment was very critical of NPS - the mistake may have been critical but folks are human too. It took 5 minutes of back and forth to have the mistake corrected to my/our ECC's satisfaction. The Feds know and understand the process well and anyone attending should also or stay home because screwing up verbal or written can ditch serious efforts by others.
    So - No way to edit a post - what a swell site.

Edit my 5:11 pm post by adding the words "Public not guided" before the 1st word of the comment.
    edited April 30 #22
    You can edit your post by clicking on the grey wheel / sprocket looking thing on the upper left corner then "edit"
    Thanks Pinman but FS might want to consider investing the 4 letters "edit" in a noticeable place - like with all the other icons at bottom of post block.
    I urge everyone who wants to go to be there.   At the very least, you will be informed and will be able to ask questions & get answers.  

The refuge wants your comments and for you to help provide solutions to issues.

I urge everyone to submit their comments in writing - email or letter. 
    Fire the current Managers for failing to manage the area properly..and let it get to the mess it is currently is. Make them accountable 
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 18,484 AG
    edited May 1 #26
    Fire the current Managers for failing to manage the area properly..and let it get to the mess it is currently is. Make them accountable 
    Yeah....You tell'm crazytrain.....  :D
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 18,484 AG
    This is an important meeting...I predict 5 people (plus Rich) will make it there.... ;)
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
    It would be interesting if some who attend the meeting asked “by what standard do the current managers justify keeping their jobs based upon the current habitat status.”  

Inwould love to hear them answer that one on the record. Just keep asking it.....
  • spanglerspangler Posts: 351 Deckhand
    I'm gonna be at the meeting tomorrow.  Because of the drive, I'm going to try and make the most of it and spend a day on the refuge. I've never been.  Anything specifically I should plan on checking out?  Might bring a kayak, def bringing fishing gear.

I'd definitely like to see these wooden board water control systems.  What's the best way to do that?
  • spanglerspangler Posts: 351 Deckhand
    I know I'll need a printed and signed fishing permit.... interesting.

https://www.fws.gov/uploadedFiles/2016FishingRegs(2).pdf

Bring a cast net - net some finger mullet or mud minnows and toss em off a point for trout or reds.  I've only done the shore fishing thing a couple times there and caught fish every time - trout and/or reds.  

Bring a pair of binoculars - the water is low for the wading birds, so you'll see plenty of diff kinds of birds.  A bird book might be fun.

Plan to get out and walk some - the roads are mostly closed to vehicle traffic.  You can't park on the sides of paved roads.  

Some areas charge for access - national seashore and black point for starters.

Introduce yourself.  The meeting is at the public library which is a little ways south of the refuge.  I'll try to be there around 4:30 or so.  Saturday's meeting should have more folks.  I'm hoping for 20 guys - one of my coworkers says he'll be there tomorrow, another says he's gonna go on Saturday.  So if you, me and he go we're up to 3, almost at Joe's estimate.

Just be ready to realize that the refuge folks are regular people and not incompetent as some would paint them.  If you got stuck at a restaurant table with any of them, you'd probably have a decent discussion and make a friend or two.  Go willing to listen and ask questions - you'll learn stuff.  

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file