40 Day Rec Red Snapper State and Fed Waters

Gov. Scott and FWC announce 40-day recreational red snapper season in Gulf state and federal waters

Florida Fish & Wildlife Conservation Commission sent this bulletin at 04/17/2018 01:13 PM EDT
(My FWC.com)That proposed date is June 11th to July 21. 

I received this in an email.

Replies

• capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,229 Moderator
    Seen that. Good news.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • butchbalbutchbal Posts: 398 Deckhand
      :D  
  • butchbalbutchbal Posts: 398 Deckhand
     :D 
  • Top ContenderTop Contender Posts: 559 Officer
    Who opens a season on Monday the 11th?
    why not just open it on the first?
  • TCow86TCow86 Posts: 17 Greenhorn
    Ill be in Orange Beach on the first. Was hoping to hit some of the Florida spots. Guess we will just have to catch all those bama fish.
  • Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,110 Captain
    It looks to me like they decided to schedule the minimum number of weekend days to cut down on fishing pressure.

Remember that Florida negotiated a 20 days season with the Feds. Scott increased that to 40 days on his own. I still think that there will be lawsuits by environmental groups. The states are supposed to stay within the recreational TAC (total allowable catch) for 2018. Until there is a new stock assessment, that is still the law. The case was made that Florida could stay within the limit with a 20 day season as long as they cut the state water season to 20 days. Going to 40 days will put us way over the TAC. Especially since the average size of the fish is getting really big. You can bet that they'll be a lot of culling to keep limits of fish over 6-7 lb each. 

But hey, as long as the season stays open and the weather is OK, I'm going to be out there. Last year it was a matter of limiting everybody out in the first 30 minutes and looking for grouper the rest of the trip. Except when Louie was with me. We had to work hard that day.  >:)
  • crystalriverratcrystalriverrat Posts: 16 Greenhorn
    I think they waited til the 11th to prevent harvesting during rush of opening of grouper season.
  • pnj2108pnj2108 Posts: 55 Greenhorn
    is this for the charters too or just for recreational anglers?
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 7,708 Admiral
    They had to time it with the seasonal weather.    I'm guessing 30 of those 40 days will be moderate to severe chop/high winds, and thunderstorms. 
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
    pnj2108 said:
    Federally permitted boats will have a June 1 opener and close on the same day as the recs. 

They had to time it with the seasonal weather.    I'm guessing 30 of those 40 days will be moderate to severe chop/high winds, and thunderstorms. 
    I’m calling for the first tropical disturbance to form in the gulf around 6-9. Followed by an upper level low a week later.
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,229 Moderator

Except when Louie was with me. We had to work hard that day.  >:)
    It was sevenweights fault... :p :D ;)
    "You'll get your weather"
  • pnj2108pnj2108 Posts: 55 Greenhorn
    pnj2108 said:
    Federally permitted boats will have a June 1 opener and close on the same day as the recs. 
    Thanks i about had a mini heart attack since i had already booked a charter for June 9th B)
  • Hunter85Hunter85 Posts: 28 Greenhorn
    The thing I haven’t seen are what are the limits and size do we go with the state regs or federal regs? 
    2 per day at least 16" to the fork.
  • nicknick Posts: 4,440 Captain
    Not fork...
    You're right, its total length. Sorry.
  • Almost PerfectAlmost Perfect Posts: 465 Deckhand
    If this year is like last year...............
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Contender 27 Cuddy

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file