Red Snapper

Looks like we may get a red Snapper opening for Fri-Sat-Sun starting in July. 1 per person per day, no size limits.

Replies

• NBredfishNBredfish Posts: 160 Deckhand
    How blessed we are that our federal government has bestowed upon us the right to keep one snapper for three consecutive days.

When will this madness end?
  • optimistic Angleroptimistic Angler Posts: 559 Officer
    Are they looking at just one weekend?
  • EarthmoverEarthmover Posts: 178 Deckhand
    That’s almost silly.    3 snapper.   It will probably be 4’to 6’.  With 20nt.  Winds all 3 days
  • Blue gillsBlue gills Posts: 125 Deckhand
    Where did you hear about the season? 
  • model14model14 Posts: 887 Officer
    I read this as we'll get continuous 3-day weekends until the annual catch limit is reached. Not sure only one snapper a day is too bad if it weighs 10+ pounds, a fairly common catch off our coast. Snapper fillet is running $18 a pound at safe Harbor!
  • NBredfishNBredfish Posts: 160 Deckhand
    model14 said:
    I read this as we'll get continuous 3-day weekends until the annual catch limit is reached. 
    29,656 quota for recs will easily be met in a 3 day fishing window if the weather is good.

4 fish average per boat x 2500 boats fishing safmc waters per day x 3 days = 30,000 snapper & season closed
  • deadbuckdeadbuck Posts: 14 Greenhorn
    4 people x 1 snapper each /150 gallons of gas = not worth the trip
  • Cast_N_BlastCast_N_Blast JaxPosts: 873 Officer
    deadbuck said:
    150 gallons of gas? You know you can catch em a couple miles offshore, right?
  • Sea SnakeSea Snake Posts: 5,055 Admiral
    No crap.....if i had to burn 150 gallons to catch a snapper...id leave em alone....

• MaverickMaverick Posts: 687 Officer
    We don’t even burn 150 on bluwater trips. Including high speeding. 
    Shut Up and Fish
  • model14model14 Posts: 887 Officer

The 150 gallons of gas came from the same place as the 2500 boats fishing for snapper per day. ;)
  • deadbuckdeadbuck Posts: 14 Greenhorn

Ok lets call it 80 gallons of gas. 
  • CaptJCaptJ Posts: 489 Deckhand
    Yes, but dining on the elusive American Red Snapper ............Priceless!
  • jmac7469jmac7469 Posts: 62 Greenhorn
    Or let's call it 7 gallons of gas. Their just snapper no reason to run far, or leave sight of land for that matter.
  • Let's Go AmigoLet's Go Amigo Posts: 2,260 Captain
    Snapper are everywhere.
  • Sea SnakeSea Snake Posts: 5,055 Admiral
    I'll cook you some sheepshead and tell you it's snapper, and you probably won't know the difference....

There are better choices. Sea Bass for one.....nothing better than a 3 pound Sea Bass !!...imo

But...them suckers are fun to catch....!!
  • Chase1281Chase1281 Posts: 22 Greenhorn
    Am I understanding that as long as the winds and swell are good I can catch them in a 18’ CC somewhere close?
  • Tony RomaTony Roma Posts: 191 Deckhand
    Chase1281 said:
    Am I understanding that as long as the winds and swell are good I can catch them in a 18’ CC somewhere close?
    Ya man, can be so thick at nearshore spots you have to leave because your tired of wasting bait on them, had them coming to the surface in 60 ft of water before. I’ll be happy to cull through a bunch of 5 pounders and take  a boat limit of 20 pounders home.
    Sea Snake said:
    I'll cook you some sheepshead and tell you it's snapper, and you probably won't know the difference....

There are better choices. Sea Bass for one.....nothing better than a 3 pound Sea Bass !!...imo

But...them suckers are fun to catch....!!
    IMHO There are more keeper Red Snapper then Keeper Sea Bass.
    I love catching and eating Sea Bass, I'm just saying the Snapper Regs are total BS.
    What bait are we using for red snapper?
  • EarthmoverEarthmover Posts: 178 Deckhand
    Any cut bait or live bait.   They eat everything.    
  • MaverickMaverick Posts: 687 Officer

Literally anything. Live bait. Dead bait. Bucktails. Metal vertical jigs. They are everywhere and hungry
    Shut Up and Fish
    Thanks guys. I guess I should look at a couple of nearshore wrecks. Any specific ones that aren’t secret spots?
    Ironically They say we can't have much of a season because we kill our allocated limit through catch and release. They say almost every fish we catch and release dies. Next they'll probably say that too many stave to death so we'll never get a real season.
  • Tony RomaTony Roma Posts: 191 Deckhand
    Chase1281 said:
    Thanks guys. I guess I should look at a couple of nearshore wrecks. Any specific ones that aren’t secret spots?
    FWC website has all the numbers for nearshore reefs

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file