FBI Shootout in Kendall

Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,150 Moderator

Yesterday was the anniversary of the Miami shootout. I had the honor to

meet and work with both Ben Grogan and Jerry Dove who were both killed during that shootout. May they Rest In Peace. I was also present during this crime. It was teh worst day of my 33 year career.  Retired Special Agent Fernando Candelario wrote this song, "The Agent", many years ago. Dedicated to all the survivors.

Replies

• alacrityalacrity Posts: 2,660 Captain
    i remember that day like yesterday.  you guys were unfairly undermanned in terms of weapons.  i pass by that site all of the time, see the plaque and remember the day.  RIP

***THE GUY IN MY AVATAR IS BLAIR WICKSTROM***

• TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 10,154 AG
    In today's environment where many question the FBI's contribution to our country, I thank you for the reminder, Jack.

For those not familiar with the events:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1986_FBI_Miami_shootout

• conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 3,545 Captain
    I remember it also like it was yesterday. RIP to all the brave LEOs that perished. I wish that today the leaders of this great agency weren't so politicized because it takes away from all of the hard working dedicated officers that put their lives on the line everyday without appreciation for what they do.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• JohnnyBanditJohnnyBandit Posts: 8,284 Admiral
    Jack I think you and I met one  time in South Florida...

I know we have/had a mutual friend.

Were you still in Miami area when Hurricane Andrew Hit?
  • riverdiverriverdiver Posts: 1,998 Captain
    In today's environment where many question the FBI's contribution to our country, I thank you for the reminder, Jack.

For those not familiar with the events:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1986_FBI_Miami_shootout

I honestly don't think "many question the FBI's contribution to our country". 

I do do believe many are questioning the possible actions of a very small part of the FBI.

And I say "possible", because it's very difficult to get straightforward reporting on what may or may not've been done by that small group of agents. The MSM doesn't have any push to cover what's going on, so it's hard to get factual info.

That said, I know a retired, and soon to be retired FBI agent. Both of them are angry about the possibility of Federal Agencies acting in a political manner. What they do know, neither are saying.. but they aren't happy.

• riverdiverriverdiver Posts: 1,998 Captain

Gardawg said:
    scary

Yes, the real deal was scary.

Im not sure why you linked a tv show, the Ruger Mini 14 firing fully automatic should've tipped you off it was dramatized.

Why can't we just salute the guys involved instead of linking a Hollywood production featuring Hutch as a bad guy?
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,150 Moderator
    I lived in Miami from 72 to 99 and lived in Homestead for Andrew.  Took the eye of the storm down there
    I lived in Miami from 72 to 99 and lived in Homestead for Andrew.  Took the eye of the storm down there
    Did you happen to come up to the 84 Lumber on SR 84 in Davie a few times after Andrew?
    Did you happen to come up to the 84 Lumber on SR 84 in Davie a few times after Andrew?
    I used to occasionally come to 84 Lumber but don't recall being there after Andrew.  It took 1 1/2 years to get a permit to rebuild my historically designated house and by the time I needed lumber for the rebuild, there was a lot in Hoomestead
    I used to occasionally come to 84 Lumber but don't recall being there after Andrew.  It took 1 1/2 years to get a permit to rebuild my historically designated house and by the time I needed lumber for the rebuild, there was a lot in Hoomestead
    Well I was one of the managers at that 84 Lumber when Andrew Hit.... There was a guy from Dade that was an FBI agent that would come pick up stuff a few times after Andrew.

I do believe you know or knew Kerry Myers.
  • GA FinGA Fin Posts: 8,463 Admiral

Rest in peace to those agents that were killed.

How are all the injured agents doing?

The few times I have had any interaction with FBI agents they were beyond professional. Really impressive folks.

It amazed me how quick and how many agents we had show up when an armored car officer was murdered via a shot to the head via a 30:06 rifle in Atlanta(Buckhead). We were first on scene(we were 1 minute away) and in 7 or 8 minutes the two scenes were swarming with FBI agents.

Straight white male living a life of privilege and proud of it.

"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters."
    JB 
    About 1/3 of the FBI personnel (Agents and clerical) in Miami were affected by Andrew and the other people were a Godsend in their assistance.  I does not surprise me that people were picking up lumber in Ft Lauderdale.  We had a horse boarding stable and even had Agents delivering hay to our barn for several weeks.

GA Fin 
    Two of the wounded Agents have passed, both of causes unrelated to the shootout, two were at the ceremony held two days ago in Pinecrest and Miramar, and the last one I have lost track of.

Gardawg  -- riverdiver
    The video linked by Gardawg does not come close to what actually happened during this confrontation and shootout.  Yes it was scary and a long shootout lasting over 5 minutes (normal shootouts last maybe 30 seconds or less)   There was 14 Agents on the surveillance/stakeout that morning, 9 were on the scene when Grogan decided to pull the car over before it got back on South Dixie. and the 5 of us were only a minute behind.  When I pulled up, the shooting was still in progress and the Metro officers were right behind me.  I helped one of them pull Maddox out of the car away from his guns. One of the officers saw Gordon McNeill down in the street and without knowing who he was, bad guy or FBI Agent, decided he had been hit enough and laid down on top of him to cover his body with his own to prevent more bullets hitting him  The clip showed Grogan loosing his glasses but didn't explain he was virtually blind without them.  Ben & Jerry were one of the first agents to be hit , not the last ones as the clip depicts.  The most accurate video of the three that were made ( One attached above by a commercial film company for TV, One by the FBI and one by Metro Dade Police Department) was made by Dave Rivers, the Metro homicide detective who was in charge of the crime scene

• mplspugmplspug Lake Mary, FloridaPosts: 6,235 Admiral
    Agent Hexter I just want to thank you for you service.

Captain Todd Approves

• mustang190mustang190 Posts: 9,401 Admiral
    mplspug said:
    Agent Hexter I just want to thank you for you service.
    X2!

5 minuets is an eternity in a gunfight(or any fight).
    2013 Pathfinder 22 TE , 150 Yamaha,
  • bottomtimebottomtime Posts: 315 Deckhand
    Jack- I suspect you probably crossed paths with my father in law, Walt Moehle, during your time in the bureau.  He transferred to Ft Lauderdale in probably 87 or 88. He retired in 02 or 03.
  • 9-Lives9-Lives Posts: 2,118 Captain
    Where EXACTLY did this go down?

I was never 100% sure. I was in Junior high at Westminster when it all went down.  I still live in Miami today and go through the area weekly.

Anyway, On 82 ave between 124 st and 120 st. on the North side of the road is a small (I think) FPL substation with a wall around it.  I always thought that was the exact location.  Over the years I have heard of other nearby locations.  Anyone know the exact location?
    marlin_baitball.gif
    9-Lives said:
    Where EXACTLY did this go down?

On the West side of 82 Ave, between 122 Street and 123 Street there is the FPL substation with the wall around it.  On the East there is a duplex with a circular drive and parking off the North and South side of the drive   I believe there was a tree or two in a "garden" area forming the circular drive.  The bad guys ended up in the North parking area of this drive with one agent car next to the subjects and a parked car on the other side.  At this point, even though the cars were initially Southbound, the crashes and resulting attempts to get away along with the attempts by the agents to contain the scene, the cars were facing North.  Another agent's car was at about a 60* angle at the rear  fender of the first agents car.  The car that Ben and Jerry were in ended up approximately in this "garden" area, against what I believe a tree.  Other FBI cars were kinda scattered around the area. When I arrived, I pulled in Southbound and stopped at the corner of 122 St and saw Mireles shooting his revolver.  From the angle I was observing, it appeared he was shooting at someone running into the back yards and I ran East to cover the back yards
  • mplspugmplspug Lake Mary, FloridaPosts: 6,235 Admiral
    He posts a tribute to his fallen peers and y'all turn it into a political post.  You all have mental problems.

Captain Todd Approves

• 9-Lives9-Lives Posts: 2,118 Captain
    Thanks for confirming Jack. Not sure why I said North side of the road, I meant west side. I just mentioned this to my wife, she apparently knew exactly where too. She says last she knew, you could still see where bullets hit that wall.
    marlin_baitball.gif
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 1,212 Moderator

Y'all's response to Mr. Hexter's honoring of his colleague's loss of life is disgraceful. There are certain people on this forum, right and left, who have no sense of propriety.

Mr. Hexter, I thank you for your bravery, your service and I honor the comrades you lost.

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)
  • GardawgGardawg Posts: 7,255 Admiral

Y'all's response to Mr. Hexter's honoring of his colleague's loss of life is disgraceful. There are certain people on this forum, right and left, who have no sense of propriety.

LOL ... Jeez, one can't post ANYTHING on this forum without getting criticized by the resident grumpy old men who hang here.  
    “Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

Heres Tom with the Weather.”
    Y'all get away with a lot more than you're supposed to here. B)
    "That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)
  • GardawgGardawg Posts: 7,255 Admiral
    Y'all get away with a lot more than you're supposed to here. B)

that was not directed towards you or the mods

I forgot to make that clear.
    “Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

Heres Tom with the Weather.”
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 22,532 AG
    edited April 16 #25
    Never heard about this until now. Crazy.
    133cbf2b243368b1ddb2f591a1988076--beach-posters-florida-travel.jpg
  • Ron@.38 Special[email protected] Special Posts: 6,753 Admiral
    edited April 16 #27

I have a niece who is a highly decorated agent. Most of the honors she has received had to be passed to her by her superiors since she has unusually been under cover and could not attend the ceremonies where she was honored. 

I feel for those who serve in this capacity, its not an easy life. Heck her wedding had to be called off as her husband who is also an agent had to go over seas for some interrogation work the day before the planned wedding.

Not an easy gig, but rewarding as she has told me.

Now Comey??? That's a whole other story! (or slime ball I should say)

edited April 16 #28
    How in the world did this turn into a political debate about Comey.  I'm the OP who posted a tribute to 2 fallen agents and 5 others who were wounded, 30 years ago, probably before Comey was out of high school, yet there are those on this forum that could turn a thread about kissing an alligator into politics.  I hope one of the Mods in OT  will  split all this political  crap and send it too the dumpster.
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 10,154 AG
    Jack,  I take some responsibility for getting this one off the tracks.  My apologies...Mike
    How in the world did this turn into a political debate about Comey.  I'm the OP who posted a tribute to 2 fallen agents and 5 others who were wounded, 30 years ago, probably before Comey was out of high school, yet there are those on this forum that could turn a thread about kissing an alligator into politics.  I hope one of the Mods in OT  will  split all this political  crap and send it too the dumpster.
    As requested. I agree.

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file