EPIC Hammerhead Shark Migration

Every year I chase the Spring migration of sharks that roam our beaches. It starts with the Blacktips in February, turns into Hammerheads, followed by a good push of Tiger Sharks into April. I know Land based Shark Fishing is looked down upon many and It's a sport that can upset many who don't understand it. Which frankly confuses me, as all Catch and Release Sport fishing whether it be small or big game, should be treated on the same playing field. 
Nothing gets me and hundreds of other Beach fishermen more excited than seeing the sickle shaped fin of a Great Hammerhead breach the surface of the water. It is one of those sights that you cannot put a price tag on. Last week a group of around 8 of us all met up in the morning and began to paddle baits. Before I had arrived my buddies had successfully caught and released 2 9-10ft Great Hammerheads and had a third one on as we walked down the beach. This is where the video starts. 

Generally 1 Hammerhead for a beach fishermen leaves us ecstatic, 2 gets us pumped and there are very few days where I have been apart of more than 3+ Hammerheads in a day. Now picture this, we caught and released 11 in a 10 hour period along with 2 9ft Tiger Sharks. The best part was every single shark was unhooked, and released within 1.5 minutes of leadering the fish. 

Sharks washing up on the beach have become a big problem in recent years and land based shark fishermen are generally to blame. Accidents do happen, but a large percentage of these are from careless or inexperienced anglers who spend too much time taking pictures and fighting the fish itself.This is why you see us fishing nothing smaller than 80 wide sized reels, to make surer we can put enough heat on these fish to ensure a healthy release. 

From around 8am to 7pm we caught more hammerheads in a single day than anyone in the land based shark fishing world to my knowledge. It is certainly a day I will never forget and a video I will never outgrow. Hope you all enjoy it and see why as a fishermen who spends a good amount of time offshore chasing pelagics, I still get drawn back to the sand where I laid my roots as an angler. 

Watch the video Here:

Replies

• 4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 810 Officer
    I grew up playing with the blacktips and others in the spring time on Singer Island.
    Not really my cup of tea, but looks like you guys are having good fun. Congrats on "being there yesterday"!!
    "I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
    For they always bring me tears
    I can't forgive the way they rob me
    Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine
  • JIMinPBJIMinPB Posts: 1,875 Captain
    edited April 13 #3

Wow,

I've got some mixed feelings here.

On one hand, I think that you guys are just one step below the guys who spear cobia off of bull sharks, in terms of being nuts.  I would not want to get in the water with those things to release them like that.  But then again, some people think that some things I do are a little crazy too, so I can’t really give you too much of a hard time about it.

On the other hand, I feel the need to congratulate you on a stellar performance in what you chose to do.  That was an impressive amount of tonnage to land in a single day.  You guys seem to have it dialed in. 

As much as I have concerns about what you are doing, I would also love to watch you guys in action first hand.  Maybe I’ll get lucky & bump into you on the beach some day.  I hope so.

Thumbs up on reaching your landmark. You guys are hardcore. 

Nice video work too.

• fagan59fagan59 Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    I have watched these guys in person. I watched them land about a 10-12' hammer. they worked it in and when it got to the beach they did not mess around getting the hook out and setting it free. The wife and I took pics while they were busy working the shark.  really great bunch of guys !!!
  • HyundaifinnHyundaifinn Posts: 53 Greenhorn
    I thought they were endangered and illegal to catch?
  • JustKeepSwimmingJustKeepSwimming Posts: 119 Deckhand
    That looks like a lot of fun!
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 8,168 Admiral
    Nothing is illegal to catch.  Illegal to keep maybe but you cannot put restrictions on what people hook unless you can somehow make the fish understand not to bite certain baits/lures.   
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • landsharklandshark Posts: 76 Greenhorn
    Illegal to harvest, We release them as soon we get the hook out and if we can do so without risking the sharks life. We keep the shark in water at all times, its never fully on sand which would be intent to harvest. 
  • Ron@.38 Special[email protected] Special Posts: 6,753 Admiral
    Landshark, I commend you on how you release and care for the fish! You guys are true sportsman!
  • FrydaddyFrydaddy Boynton BeachPosts: 368 Deckhand
    And every one thinks I'm nuts for fishing in 8 to 10 in a 21 cc. Nice work keep it up!!
  • SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 4,281 Captain
    Cool, Good Dill
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file