Coming down in August, looking for advice/good charter captain

Hey guys, first post on here so apologies if its repetitive by any means. Anyways, coming down to the Stuart area from the Tallahassee/PC area in august for a week long vacation with the lady and we are both extremely avid anglers.  I have no clue what the fishing is like both on or offshore at that time and was looking for some pointers, will be fishing land based for the most part other than a day or two of kayak fishing and the one charter were going to take.  We're looking to target Permit, Cobia, Mahi or Sails with the charter but was curious what that time of year brings to the table for ya'll.  If what i said is aplicable, any recomendations on a good captain? Thanks in advice and well wishes, Brandon.

Replies

• VeroDDVeroDD Posts: 297 Deckhand
    Capt. George Gozdz.  He does the Florida Reel Time Sportsman show and is based in Stuart.
  • jasallasjasallas Posts: 16 Greenhorn
    Scott Fawcett, Off the Chain Fishing Charters

have fishes with him several times last couple of years, always a pleasure.  Find him online or Facebook 
  • JIMinPBJIMinPB Posts: 1,872 Captain
    edited April 15 #4
     Permit, you need to know where to go. 

Cobia are hit & miss.  Sometimes unorthodox methods are used to bring them up.  They can be interesting to go after, if you can find them. 

Mahi are scattered all over the place, but are also hit & miss at times.

Sails are usually around, down here by me, but I don't know how easy they will be to find in Stuart. 

Kings should also be around.  Black Fin & Skipjack may be around. 

Both previous recommendations for captains are good. 

I don't do much inshore, so I can't comment on that.

Have Fun.
  • OW HolmesOW Holmes Posts: 25 Greenhorn
    Scotty on Off the Chain is offshore, and George Godz is inshore.  Both are great.  
    Bill Holmes, aboard Bluewater 2850 "Devil Don't Care"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Captain DaveCaptain Dave Posts: 3,374 Captain
    That will be too late for permit, but the summertime sailfish bite on the reefs off Stuart will be alive and well, and there should be plenty of dolphin offshore.  It's not uncommon to have 5-6 shots a day at sails in the summer on live sardines. But it will be calm and very HOT, so plan to cover up and protect yourself.  

For offshore sails and dolphin, Capt VJ Bell on the "Unbelievable" is hard to beat and a joy to fish with. The boat is right at the Hutchinson Island Marriott Marina.  VJ's number is (772)919-1885 and their Facebook page is called "Stuart Big Game Fishing".
    72262-albums10528-picture94957.jpg

Your Southeast Florida Real Estate Resource !
    www.HomesOfTreasureCoast.com

Search for homes on any mobile device with my FREE MLS SEARCH App !
    http://app.kw.com/KW2GYNJDM

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file