Daiwa ss 1300 finally wore out/ Should I buy another or replace with different reel?

austjjaustjj Posts: 45 Greenhorn
I feel since this reel lasted so long and was trouble free, just to buy another for around $100. I like the weight and the ability to cast a distance. I  use 8 lb test and jig with 1/8 with Gulp curly tail. Or what would you suggest to replace for around $100. Appreciate any suggestions and tips.

Replies

• Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,150 Moderator
    The Daiwa SS is a great reel and is still being made.  The only problem, and it's nor really a problem, is that it does not have infinite anti-reverse.  At the same price point is the new(relatively) Daiwa BG.   Visit a hop and decide n your own.  Both are good reels
  • austjjaustjj Posts: 45 Greenhorn
    Good advice, thank you
  • Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 4,683 Captain
    Can't really go wrong with Daiwa
  • kellerclkellercl Posts: 1,403 Officer
    edited April 11 #5
    So what is the point of reverse on a reel anyway?  All mine have it, but have never used it.

Edit

I understand free spooling for offshore, my question is about spinning inshore reels.
  • Rich MRich M Posts: 961 Officer
    edited April 11 #6
    I have several Diawa SS reels - the 1300, 1600 and 2600.  They are great reels.  I also have other brands that are great reels too.

Ultimately, it is all up to you what you want to get.  It is hard to beat a proven reel that you really like.  Those diawas can cast a mile.

The instant reverse on a spinning reel stops the clunkiness.
    kellercl said:
    So what is the point of reverse on a reel anyway?  All mine have it, but have never used it.
    There are some areas where back reeling is used to let lot line instead of simply opening the bail.  Why, I haven't the faintest idea.

The anti reverse I'm writing of on the SS is an 18 point gear which engages a dog that drops into the gear preventing it from turning backwards and thus engages the drag in the spool.   This is teh same type gear and anti-reverse that can be seen and is used on the timeless Penn Senators.  More modern reels use a 1 way bearing (only turns one way), thus providing instant anti-reverse.    Some manufacturers, especially in conventional reels use both systems, the gear/dog to back up the anti-reverse bearing.

One hint, do not oil these anti-reverse bearings or they will fail due to too much oil.

Some manufacturers have eliminated the external anti reverse switch on the reel, as well as an internal bail trip, getting away from just more unnecessary parts to break.

I will look at the Daiwa BG and compare to the 1300ss, but I think I will stay with the 1300. Thanks to all for your suggestions
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 4,475 Captain
    You can get some pretty good deals on Ebay on reels.  That's where I get most of mine.  I usually buy the older Penn reels.  I've got a couple I only paid $15-$20 on.  They're from the early 90's but still work great.
  • BobberBobber Posts: 876 Officer
    SS with mono
    BG with braid
    Bobber said:
    SS with mono
    BG with braid
    I like both, but really mono guy, so will stick with the SS, thanks for your input. I will take my time and see if I can find a new one online for under $90
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 10,154 AG
    edited April 13 #12

One hint, do not oil these anti-reverse bearings or they will fail due to too much oil.

That's a great tip, Jack.  You do need to be careful from over lubricating those bearings as they may not work at all.  However, I will suggest a very light coat of oil is better for the long term life of the bearing than running it dry.  Unfortunately, I have the rusted Shimano anti-reverse bearing (two actually) to prove it, and I suspect you've seen a few of them as well.  Just don't lube them up like you do a regular bearing and be careful of over-lubrication (particularly grease).  Your thoughts on this would be appreciated...Mike
    Yes, LIGHT oil, like 1 drop a year,  Those old Stradics with the oil port in the body caused a lot of problems because people pumped them full of oil
  • Alex from GAAlex from GA Posts: 1,165 Officer
    On back reeling; I used to use Mitchell 300s and 308s and the drags weren't the best.  I used to back reel with light line or there was a good chance of breaking the line.
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 2,860 Captain
    I have all of the current modest cost (mostly...) Daiwa spinners in use daily - two of the old BG 20's, one of the BG 30's, one SS 2600, and two of the new BG 3500's (that replaced two Stradics)... Can't say enough good things about them -particularly that Daiwa has always kept a good supply of parts for these models.... unlike some other manufacturers I could name....  Yes, you can probably find a newer - maybe even brand new... one but you still want to take a look at the new BG reels in the same size range since the older a model is - the greater likelihood that you might need a repair part that's no longer being imported.....

More and more reel makers have eliminated the anti-reverse lever (and saved money doing so....).  The only time you'll really need it is when... you find that you've accidentally fouled your reel with it's own line (wrapped around and under the rotor.....) when that occurs you'll desperately need the ability to backwind your reel (another of those "ask me how I know" propositions....).  The new BG 3500's still have that switch - I don't know whether the smaller sizes do....
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • Tropic RatTropic Rat Posts: 112 Deckhand
    got a 2600,1600,1300 and a 700 series - loved the 2600 when it first came out and bought the whole series- Dunno why, I just love 'em  all going strong to this day. They seem to have a cult following in the south florida and keys area.

got some BG's too but love me those SS's!
    I am going to take closer look at BG 2500, the dawia ss 1300 and I also saw Penn Battle II 2500. I am leaning toward the Daiwa and might just go with the one at the beat price on ebay when ready to buy. I appreciate all the input, willing to listen about the Penn Battle II. I saw charger boat captain this past weekend at Bass Pro buying a dozen outfits, since price for combo on them was from $120 to $150. He said they cant be beat and buying at the start of a new season. My question but did not ask if so good, why buying again this year.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file