April 7th At the Pass

Have not been fishing lately (weather, tides, work),

Launched Sat @ 7am with water temp of 77.2f and wind blowing at 20mph. Looked to go outside but 3-foot rollers ended that thought. Back inside to a small mangrove island and the girlfriend got a couple small jacks and 2 short trout on a bucktail. I did manage a 16" trout on the Pop-R. Continued down the line and got 3 ladyfish and saved one for chunking. Headed south to a wind blown point and tagged 2 8 pound jacks on a Yo-Zuri jerk bait. Did see maybe 100 brown pelicans feasting on glass minnows. Into the Morgan River and back out after 20 minutes of absolutely nothing. To the SE corner of Cape Romano set up 2 rods with chunk ladyfish. One rod goes off and after 150 years out, finally slowed whatever it was down. Gained a few yards, lost a few. Finally, break off. Reeled in the line and 30-pound leader cut and barely chafed. Re-rigged and tossed another chunk. 3 minutes later, GF rod screams. She picks it up and this fish is going to Mexico. My rod then screams and I promptly broke it off to assist the GF. She gets the stopped and gains/loses. I pull the anchor and we chase this fish as we both want  to see what it is. 20 minutes later and 200 yards away, about a 7 foot lemon shark is beside the boat! And the 5/0 Gamagatsu circle hook is in perfect position, right the corner of its mouth. A few pics and then broke it off. It was a nice pull!!  Headed back towards the ramp and made a stop and saw some nice small but useable pilchards. Did not throw the net. Stopped at a point and the GF catches 4 trout (all short) in 5 minutes. I got a 22" mackerel on a shrimp/cork combo. By then the watercraft activity got very heavy and decided to put it on the trailer.

Be safe out there!

Polar 1900 Yamaha 115

Replies

• SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 4,284 Captain
    Sounds like an enjoyable day with a lot of activity.
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
  • snookaffinitysnookaffinity Naples, FLPosts: 968 Officer
    Nice
    "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
  • Golfn1Golfn1 Posts: 23 Greenhorn
    Really enjoy your reports.  Tight lines !!
  • 1outlaw1outlaw Naples FLPosts: 642 Officer
    Good report!!.... Hopefully be out sunday but appears they are already reporting wind and rain!
    Jason :USA

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file