Part 2 Sailfish Smackdown 2018

John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 1,493 Officer
edited April 21 in General Paddle Craft #1
Congratulations to the winners ! 

1st Brandon Skoff #sailfish landed 10:18am $5,000.00 Railblaza, Turbo USA Global Fishmounts Trophy

2nd - Thomas Kuhns, #sailfish landed 10:36am $2,000.00 Railblaza, Turbo USA, Global Fishmounts plaque, YETI Hopper Flip Cooler

3rd - Franco Natividad, #sailfish landed 1:18pm $1000.00 Nautical Ventures Marine SuperstoreYETI Cooler, Global Plaque

4th - Sammy Palacios, #sailfish landed 12:39am Day 2. Global Fishmounts plaque, YETI Cooler

Nautical Ventures Marine Superstore Mahi Division - Brian Whelan 7.7lbs

Jacksonville Angler Franco Natividad wins the #EKFT Championship #billfish Ring!!

Replies

• SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 4,242 Captain
    Congrats to the winners.
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,249 Moderator
    Nice. I always wish I had Sailfish dialed in, but it would be a waste of entry fee for me.
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 1,493 Officer
    jcanracer said:
    Nice. I always wish I had Sailfish dialed in, but it would be a waste of entry fee for me.
    You say that, but look how many of the winners have been first time sailfish catches.  First years first and second places were first time ever catchers from Oklahoma !  This years champion drove down from Jacksonville to take his first kayak sailfish in part 1.  I don't think there has been a Sailfish tournament where atleast one of the anglers that placed did not catch his first ever kayak sailfish during the tournament.  Being that you are local, it would be nice to get one prior to entering a tournament, but don't rule first time luck out of the equation.
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,249 Moderator
    maybe next year.
    I'll do summer slam though, at least one of them, as long as my work schedule allows.
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • inshore daveinshore dave Posts: 535 Officer
    You know, although I've never caught a sailfish, I would really like to partake in the Sailfish Smackdown. Problem is that the time of year of this event, the weather is always lousy. even with all my stuff secured, I'm not in the position to replace equipment immediately after it's lost. I will practice like hell the rest of this year, get better at the offshore game, and will compete in the Summer Slam next year.
    2014 Hobie PA14-Dune
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 1,493 Officer
    You know, although I've never caught a sailfish, I would really like to partake in the Sailfish Smackdown. Problem is that the time of year of this event, the weather is always lousy. even with all my stuff secured, I'm not in the position to replace equipment immediately after it's lost. I will practice like hell the rest of this year, get better at the offshore game, and will compete in the Summer Slam next year.
    Weather is a big issue, especially if you are relatively new to offshore. It helps to be local, and just not sign up if it looks like it is going to be bad. Flipped twice during the event this year and lost a $400 pair of glasses. Even though I recovered all my fishing gear, the flip can fill the reels up with sand that takes days to clean out. Good idea to increase your offshore game before considering the smackdown.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file