TB porpoise report!!

Went out Sunday down around the skyway thought we would try some of the rock piles close to the pier. I Instantly started catching nice grunts on the first spot. Then after we got 3 in the cooler I look over and here comes a porpoise never could get another fish up. He got 5 or 6 before we finally moved. Hit a couple more spots that are not so popular with the dolphins but just couldn't get anchored right due to the wind and current.
Went up around port manatee area first bait down my Gf seemed to have gotten rocked up, but she kept saying it is moving I can feel it. After about 5 min of holding pressure the line broke and as soon as she reeled up a huge turtle surface next to the boat. I think she had him. So then we start catching nice grunts get 2 or 3 in the box then the next one up gets nailed. I look around and there are 2 porpoises a mom and baby kinda close, didn't think it was them, then a big one comes up right by them and you can tell they are happy then they all start swimming round and the dad kept disappearing. He was just hanging under the boat stealing my fish. Lost 5 or 6 before we moved. Went out to the shipping channel all we could get was squirrel fish because we were drifting to fast. Then we tried to go to the port manatee reef. Barely got anchored up and there was the family of dolphins again. Called it a day without even trying to fish the reef.     
Something kind of strange, I know they were taking them straight down under the boat, but for some reason they were not getting marked on my finder. I have a lowrance hook 5 and it seems to work ok if it shows rock I get hung in rocks. If it shows clouds of bait you can usually look in the water and it seems accurate.
Are porpoises radar proof??

Replies

• DigitalchaosDigitalchaos Posts: 25 Greenhorn
    Had some real problems with them trolling for grouper in the shipping channel. Lost several fish and some plugs to them
  • Tanman34Tanman34 Posts: 53 Greenhorn
    Ive always had problems with them around the pier. They only seem to take the fish you want to keep. Like grunts and mangos. had them come up and show me my mangos a couple times like they were saying thanks or laughing at me... not sure which. Never had a problem with them in the PM channel before. Hoping they leave that area that's my favorite area to fish. 
  • GratefulEdGratefulEd Posts: 305 Deckhand
    First couple of times it was cool to see. Didn’t take long for them to become a PITA
  • drgibbydrgibby Posts: 1,209 Officer
    Too bad they outlawed seal bombs..........
  • SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 4,285 Captain
    Ghost porpoise maybe?
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
  • LilcthefishslayerLilcthefishslayer Posts: 609 Officer
    They've been stealing groupers and other species from pier anglers for quite a few years now. They only get smarter, hell in another 20 years gonna get even worse. 
  • andrewthe1andrewthe1 Posts: 578 Officer
    we hooked the same one twice, brook me off, and then my girl friend using live pins under the skyway main channel......didnt think they would eat the hooked bait twice and I was using a big hook!
    we need more internet money
  • cbcatchercbcatcher Posts: 27 Greenhorn
    they do it way offshore also. pull up a nice Scamp and looks like it went through a blender. 
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 3,963 Captain
    It has gotten real bad, they have learned how to do it for sure. My first encounter was in Charlotte Harbor, man they were bad, now they seem to have learned everywhere.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 3,963 Captain
    More than likely it started off with some idiot feeding them, birds are bad on piers too and the morons still toss a fish to a pelican or heron if it is hanging there next to them.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.
  • spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 485 Deckhand
    Went my whole life, fishing the mouth of tampa bay, believing a dolphin wouldn't grab a bait with a hook.  About 5 years ago, I was fishing on the gulf pier at desoto.  Dolphins were balling up whitebait all around.  And I had one grab my line and smoke it.  Never had anything hit like that before!  Only lasted a few seconds.

Last year I had one, I swear it was teaching a baby to follow me from dock to dock waiting for toss backs.  Staying far enough back not to spook fish on the pilings.  Right by the skyway.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file