2 days, and 75 miles in a Gheenoe. 3/13-3/14

Early Tuesday morning my friend and I head down south to Choko with the goal of riding down to Lostmans, camping, and riding back the next afternoon. Not too sure what to expect, aside from a stiff breeze the whole time :P

Day 1 - get to the visitor center in Everglades City just as they open, get out camping permits and then splash the boat in Choko. Didnt have much of a fishing plan, just fish what looked fishy on our way to Lostmans via the backcountry.
First place we stopped to fish pretty thoroughly was Alligator Bay, ended up seeing more gators and sharks than we did fish! 
Kept motoring south and decided to stop once we reached the eastern end of lostmans river, turned out to be a good idea :P After casting for about 5 minutes, my friend hooks up with a stud 33" snook. Great start to the trip! And confirmed our beliefs in fish being there!! 
Few more casts and I connect with a smaller snook, nothing to brag about. 
We keep trolling along the shoreline and make some sandwiches for lunch, then head out towards to mouth of the river to see what it has.
Pulled up to a creek mouth right at the entrance of Lostmans, and saw FOUR sawfish within 100' of eachother! Tried to catch one, but no luck. Still a very cool sight

There was a nice westerly breeze coming in that kinda hampered our plan to take the outside to New Turkey Key where we planned on camping, so while we still had plenty of daylight, we motor back up the inside towards the Chatham river. Decided to take a few more casts right around where we caught the first big snook, and boom. Connected with another slot fish. But unfortunately, this one got away before we could get it in the net. 
Made it to the mouth of the Chatham river with about 2 hours of daylight to spare, so we fished around for a few minutes in hopes of finding some dinner! Quickly followed by a nice 20" red in the cooler. 
Get to New Turkey and string up some hammocks, then light a fire and cook us some redfish for dinner! 

The plan was to slowly work our way back to Choko on Wednesday (after the boat was floating again. Plenty of gas to spare, so we ran and stopped wherever looked fishy. We took the Huston river north just for a change of scenery, and pulled a few small snook out of some mangroves. I think the cold weather and northerly winds keeping the water low wasnt in our favor, so we decided to get back to Choko around noon, and fish the oyster bars at the mouth of the Turner River before loading up and heading home. 
Turns out that was a good decision... Landed a 26" red within sight of the ramp! Threw it on ice and called it quits.

Overall it was an awesome trip down there, and gave us both some information to build on for next time. Definitely more exploring, and hopefully more than just 2 days down there next time.

Cheers!

Replies

• SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 4,242 Captain
    Good dill. Very nice report and great pics.
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
  • nobleonenobleone Posts: 47 Greenhorn
    Nicely done, thanks for the report.

"If it's not one thing, it's an alternator"

• snookaffinitysnookaffinity Naples, FLPosts: 962 Officer
    Excellent. Thanks for the report.
    "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
  • Caxambas KidCaxambas Kid Posts: 153 Deckhand
    Well done. Good report, great pics. Keep 'em coming!
    Polar 1900 Yamaha 115
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 5,084 Admiral
    I've caught some big Snook in Alligator Bay. The land of a Thousand Casts.
    The snook might be 50 yards off the shoreline, you never know where their at..but their there.
    Got into a school of Reds there one time and we drifted over them , they all went to croaking a warning and you could hear them up in the boat..weird

Killin and Grillin :grin
  • chalmerspchalmersp Posts: 257 Deckhand
    I've caught some big Snook in Alligator Bay. The land of a Thousand Casts.
    The snook might be 50 yards off the shoreline, you never know where their at..but their there.
    Got into a school of Reds there one time and we drifted over them , they all went to croaking a warning and you could hear them up in the boat..weird

Ah thats good to hear! We fished Alligator bay for probably half an hour as we were making our way down, but saw more gators and sharks than fish.
    I figure that theres big fish that always live in the back and dont move outside in the summer... Correct thinking? 
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 5,084 Admiral
    YUP..They look like big brown logs..real dark almost black.
    The bay of a thousand casts...
    Stay at Darwins place and fish the creek right there during the night.
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • Reel4ReelReel4Reel Posts: 413 Deckhand
    Thanks for the repo
  • chalmerspchalmersp Posts: 257 Deckhand
    YUP..They look like big brown logs..real dark almost black.
    The bay of a thousand casts...
    Stay at Darwins place and fish the creek right there during the night.
    Any guess as to when the back country camp sites will be opened back up again? Looked like Watsons place had a brand new dock...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file