What Is The Best Freshwater Catfish Baiit?

Never targeted them, in fact haven't fished freshwater since I can remember. Last time I talked to someone they said chicken livers left out in the sun outside for 24 hours. Gonna try the river I mentioned before. No idea, but should be fun and relaxing in the evening. Waiting on the gulf to be on fire soon! 

Replies

• SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 2,026 Captain
    Ivory soap
    You should have been here yesterday
  • Hunter85Hunter85 Posts: 30 Greenhorn
    I have always used chicken livers. Take a piece of panty hose and wrap the livers in it other wise they are a bear to keep on the hook 
  • Alex from GAAlex from GA Posts: 1,148 Officer
    Fresh dove livers.  When I lived in CA I went dove hunting in the morning, cleaned the birds and used the livers for limits of catfish in the afternoon.
  • CountryBumpkinCountryBumpkin Fla. Piney WoodsPosts: 1,260 Officer

I say......I say son.......new & improved my tail feathers.

• ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 8,412 Admiral
    live bream for flatheads, never targeted any other cats.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • brotherinlawbrotherinlaw Posts: 2,803 Captain
    mullet guts
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 7,981 Admiral
    hot dogs.   Seriously, nothing catches catfish like the cheapest garbage style hot dogs you can find.   
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • MGTeacherMGTeacher South GaPosts: 1,569 Captain
    Old shrimp work well.
    My Favorite Smile Is Vertical
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,294 Moderator
    Any cutbait. I like fresh mullet if I can get it. Shrimp work well and also catch bream. Livers, beef heart , worms etc..
    With cutbait be prepared for some mudfish and gar action and sometimes softshell turtle. Take what you can get and isn't too messy. Daytime fishing find a laydown tree on a deep bend, fish bait upcurrent as close to it as possible.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • AMobleyAMobley Posts: 188 Deckhand

live sunfish, must be caught on a line and hook. (stupid rule I know, but using a cast net for sunfish to use as bait is illegal)

liver and ivory soap twisted into a chunk of panty hose works great as well, gizzards may be better route if you have mud fish problems.

• AC ManAC Man Posts: 3,658 Captain
    What type of catfish can be found in the Withlacoochee River at Dunnellon? Thanks for the replies so far.
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 5,975 Admiral
    I've had good luck with dip baits.
    Any kind, I don't really go to much effort to choose one over the other. They have all worked well for me.
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,294 Moderator
    AC Man said:
    What type of catfish can be found in the Withlacoochee River at Dunnellon? Thanks for the replies so far.

Channels , brown bullheads , yellow bellies and possibly white cats. 
    "You'll get your weather"
  • leeward51leeward51 Posts: 10 Greenhorn
    River mussels for channel cats
  • Geno67Geno67 Posts: 144 Deckhand
    hot dogs.   Seriously, nothing catches catfish like the cheapest garbage style hot dogs you can find.   

tHIS^^
  • excaliberexcaliber Posts: 13 Greenhorn
    I'll take cut Mackerel over anything.
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 4,475 Captain
    ANUMBER1 said:
    live bream for flatheads, never targeted any other cats.
    That's what I was gonna say.  Flint river flatheads.
  • redeye76redeye76 Posts: 411 Deckhand
    AC Man said:
    Never targeted them, in fact haven't fished freshwater since I can remember. Last time I talked to someone they said chicken livers left out in the sun outside for 24 hours. Gonna try the river I mentioned before. No idea, but should be fun and relaxing in the evening. Waiting on the gulf to be on fire soon! 

• redeye76redeye76 Posts: 411 Deckhand
    On the St John's river system fresh chunks of panfish work great. 
  • HARRYDHARRYD Posts: 161 Deckhand
    leeward51 said:
    River mussels for channel cats
    St John's river cats will physically fight you for a mussel. 

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file