How do you carry out your kill (hogs mostly)

dredonndredonn Posts: 36 Greenhorn
I'm just wondering how do you guys who walk miles into the woods get your kills out, I was thinking about just dragging it with a rope but that just seem to be a waste of energy. I'll be hunting some public land here soon and you have to park and walk into the woods, and it's a long walk to get to good hunting areas. 

Replies

• Rich MRich M Posts: 961 Officer
    The public land guys usually have a game cart. 

Some will put the critter on a pack frame and walk out with it too - depends on how tough guy/gal is and how big a critter.
  • gritsnhuntin1gritsnhuntin1 Posts: 776 Officer
    edited March 7 #3
    Game cart, use it for my treestand as well. After you kill a few hogs the idea of transporting one any great distance directly affects how willing I am to take a shot. If it isnt close i usually don't shoot anymore. But only when it comes to pigs.
  • bswivbswiv Posts: 6,887 Admiral
    Have not read the rules in a while but I think it is acceptable to bone out a hog in place. At least that's what we used to do on Cumberland Island where everything was a LONG drag.

Roll them up on their knees and work down, backstraps first, the bone one side after the other. Last thing, if it is big enough to justify, reach in and get the loin. Really not all that hard. And the plastic bags weigh nothing when empty and even when full are a whole lot less trouble to get out of the woods than a whole hog.

That said.......smaller ones.......ones that should be cooked whole.......drag away!
  • Drop ZoneDrop Zone Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    Rebar hooks, cut slit in back legs like your going to hang & have drug 300+lb animals with less effort than a drag harness or sled. I like to drag with truck to gut pile easier than loading
  • MCSHunterMCSHunter Posts: 358 Deckhand
    Game cart is the way to go. Buy a nominally priced cart and change the wheels and tires to pneumatic tires and wheels from Northern tool. I have several carts and as mentioned above, I use the cart to transport tree stand in. I stash cart in woods near stand so its close after I kill. I can bring out 2-3 pigs at a time depending on size. 
  • bgeorgebgeorge Plant City FLPosts: 1,360 Officer
    bswiv said:
    Have not read the rules in a while but I think it is acceptable to bone out a hog in place. At least that's what we used to do on Cumberland Island where everything was a LONG drag.

Roll them up on their knees and work down, backstraps first, the bone one side after the other. Last thing, if it is big enough to justify, reach in and get the loin. Really not all that hard. And the plastic bags weigh nothing when empty and even when full are a whole lot less trouble to get out of the woods than a whole hog.

That said.......smaller ones.......ones that should be cooked whole.......drag away!
    I used to do that all the time.  Then on my WMA they changed the rules to make you bring out whole.  Guess these new officers can not tell the difference between hog and deer meat.  

I would hang from a low branch or on the ground also.  Usually shot pigs on a walk about, so I was never close to where a cart was staged any ways.

If there is any drive-able road that is closed I will go down it in a heartbeat to retrieve an animal I have already dragged to it.  No loaded guns or readily available ones.  Get in get out and pay the man the $25 fine if they want my autograph.  

P.S. FWC needs to remove all rules about dismembering hogs unless they are doing a scientific study that the data is to be used to make decisions.  
    The man who moves a mountain begins by carrying away small stones. Hopefully the next man is not dropping his stones on the mountain you are trying to move.
  • shempshemp Posts: 493 Deckhand
    Have gone to check station before and told them I had a big hog down...operator has said OK to process on site.  Not sure he would recall that conversation if LEO showed up.  Game cart.  At the very least a rope around the neck.  If it's in a swamp a cart can be difficult unless you change out tires which I have never done but have seen some with serious wheels that can clear cypress knees.  Strap game and gear to the cart.  Hogs are best hunted with friends LOL so you aren't pulling them out alone. Note dead hogs will float for a little while if you're by water it can make moving them out a bit easier
  • dredonndredonn Posts: 36 Greenhorn
    Ok I can see a cart for the guys who are using tree stands and staying in one position, but mostly I spot and stalk, I guess the best I could do with that is carry it in part way, and then drag my kill to it. That would help, cause with the rules as there are now, you have to keep the kill whole until it's checked by FWC.
  • Rich MRich M Posts: 961 Officer
    A lot of folks leave the cart in their truck until they need it. 
    Rich M said:
    A lot of folks leave the cart in their truck until they need it. 

Yea but that's a long walk back to the truck, then back to your kill and then back to the truck again, there has to be a better way.
  • kci-miakci-mia Posts: 181 Deckhand
    I used a canoe many times to take out hogs and deer.  Where I hunt it's wet 5 months out of the year and the canoe will float in 6" water.  It's very easy to drag a floating canoe.

• smellybucksmellybuck Posts: 28 Greenhorn
    Hunters out west shoot stuff way out in the mountains all the time. I know bcuz I lived out there ten years. You never really expected to drag anything back to the truck, it all had to be quartered out and packed out on pack frames. Here in the south we're spoiled bcuz our game is usually small enough to get out whole but not with big hogs, sometimes you can just cut them in half and carry it 1/2 out at a time over your shoulder-takes two trips but no big deal.
  • creekgeekcreekgeek Posts: 589 Officer
    My favorite text to send my hunt buddies is, "Cart Please."  :-)  Superseded only by, "Taxidermist Please."  Although the second tends to be more costly!  For short distances I have always used my safety harness to drag them out.  Take plenty of water and remember it's not a race.  Otherwise, go back and get the cart if you need it or stash it if you will be in the same area repeatedly or take it in with your stand on it.  Mine tends to make too much noise so I go back to the truck to get it when needed most of the time.
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 22,532 AG
    Just found this picture. A good friend is key to this method.

133cbf2b243368b1ddb2f591a1988076--beach-posters-florida-travel.jpg
  • gladesmangladesman Posts: 955 Officer
    Done it with big hog Cyclist - 1st time and last time thru a bad **** swamp for a long ways - very painful experience that sucked and lost an heirloom/antique with a jeweled movement compass that day. :(
  • gladesmangladesman Posts: 955 Officer
    Only reason to bring a deer out whole is for the glory of hanging it up in camp and have folks come by to ogle it - y'all know - ego :). Otherwise 4-5 big high quality zip locks for average sized So Fla deer - no matter what FWC's rules are.
    Does anyone use a  bicycle to ride in and drag out your kill?
  • bgeorgebgeorge Plant City FLPosts: 1,360 Officer
    dredonn said:

I had met a guy once that did just that.  His bike seat was able to be released and he had another thing he would slide in that better cradle and support the game.  He would then walk it out.

Many solutions to the same problem.  All I can say for the buddy and stick method is that you need someone in sync with you, if not it will swing bad and kill your shoulders. 

The man who moves a mountain begins by carrying away small stones. Hopefully the next man is not dropping his stones on the mountain you are trying to move.
  • gritsnhuntin1gritsnhuntin1 Posts: 776 Officer
    My son and i tried carrying a pig on a tree once. We made it about 1/2 mile and i ended up dragging it the last 1/4. We kept walking in sync and that **** pig would swing so hard I thought my shoulder was gonna break. What an experience. We both laugh every time we bring it up.
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 5,181 Admiral
    Last one I got I hooked a Tow strap to his neck and drug him 3 miles down the Sugar sand road.
    Found my Pard and we loaded him up. He was 250 or so. Made a Bunch of Sausage real nice.

Cyclist..That's a Perfectly drivable road.. I thought the Prius was a 4x4 bro..
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 12,176 AG
    Me and a friend also carried a deer ONCE on a limb.... Never again for reasons mentioned.
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • HollywoodcorollaHollywoodcorolla Posts: 227 Deckhand
    1)Buddy system with rope. 
    1)Young lads
    3)game cart. 
    4) drive in and take the ticket. Many Leo won’t ticket you cause you have a reason to be there. 
    Last one I got I hooked a Tow strap to his neck and drug him 3 miles down the Sugar sand road.
    Found my Pard and we loaded him up. He was 250 or so. Made a Bunch of Sausage real nice.

Cyclist..That's a Perfectly drivable road.. I thought the Prius was a 4x4 bro..
    It was a closed road and my truck would have rutted it up real bad.
    edited April 30 #28
    dredonn said:

I have used one of these Bobs (Beast of Burden). It's rated for 70 pound but 100 will work. I carted one of these trailers full of gear from Canada to Mexico and they are fantastic.

• Gatorgrizz27Gatorgrizz27 Posts: 4 Greenhorn
    I hunt a 3,000 acre swamp with no roads. You’re not getting a game cart in there and my pirogue can’t get through most of the time due to all the downed trees. 

Previously, I’ve avoided hunting more than a 30 minutes walk in without a load, as it’s too miserable getting stuff out. I recently bought a KUIU pack that has a frame and allows you to strap meat between it and the bag. They are used out west for backpack hunts, but they offer a day pack size that carries through thick woods well.

https://www.kuiu.com/hunting-backpacks-packs/icon-pro-1850/62006.html?cgid=pack-system&dwvar_62006_color=Phantom-MajorBrown#start=5

I’m looking forward to trying it aside from quartering a deer with the mosquitoes. 
  • smellybucksmellybuck Posts: 28 Greenhorn
    This is a Walmart fat tire bike and a cheap game cart, of course you have to have a decent packed road
  • PinmanPinman Posts: 1,298 Officer
    A while back I saw a British military stretcher that was basically a hammock with shoulder straps for 2 people at each end. Thought it would work for getting a Deer or Hog out of deep woods.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file