Boca Raton Inlet ?

jriverajrivera Posts: 171 Deckhand
edited March 3 in Angler On Foot #1

Hi guys planning on going there on my day off this week will be taking live shrimp is there any particular species I should be targeting this time of year there ? First time heading up there.

Thanks

John

Replies

• andrewthe1andrewthe1 Posts: 505 Officer
    be careful it is narrow and full of boaters. I would try the beach side, or near the rocks for snapper and sheephead.
    we need more internet money
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 7,923 Admiral
    be careful it is narrow and full of boaters. I would try the beach side, or near the rocks for snapper and sheephead.
    from the Jetty it's a complete s#it show to watch and very entertaining.   We used to sit there and watch boats get to the inlet...."nah, maybe next time" then turn around and leave. 
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • jriverajrivera Posts: 171 Deckhand
    LOL. Was thinking of keeping it close and fish for sheepies if thats the case !
  • 10kman10kman Posts: 310 Deckhand
     One my regrets when living in Boca was the number of large
    snook in the Boca Inlet I never fish for.Never really learned
    how to fish for snook until moving to Naples.
       But live bait near the North side should get you a snook.
    Ty 10kman for the info. 
    10kman said:
     One my regrets when living in Boca was the number of large
    snook in the Boca Inlet I never fish for.Never really learned
    how to fish for snook until moving to Naples.
       But live bait near the North side should get you a snook.
    The current in that inlet is bananas.  I've fished it from the south side and it's about impossible to keep a bait in one place.   And on the ocean side there is always an accumulation of seaweed to the point your bait is always snagged on something.    You can see tarpon and snook cruising, but i was never able to hook up with one.  Then you can head down to the deerfield pier, and catch nothing lol.  That's what we always caught. 
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
    edited March 22 #8
    @Soda LOL. I been to Deerfield once very nice pier wasn't as congested as Dania Pier or Pompano Pier when it was still open. Hear guys getting lesser amberjacks all the time from there as well as spanish macs.
    I'm sure people catch fish there, i just never did.  But i was fishing back in the 80s-early 90s and i was 10 years old.   With no real guidance either.  so 4oz pyramid weight, store bought 50lb wire leader and cut ballyhoo or dead shrimp.    I was an amateur so i'm not surprised at this point i didn't catch fish.   i did see a guy reel in a fat snook there one time.   

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file