Big Swell on the Way

Anybody else looking at long range swell models for next week?

Starting Sunday, we may see 4-5 days of 8- to 12-foot long period swells.  This is the kind of energy that re-arranges our beaches, reefs, inlets, etc.   Some meteorologists are saying this could be similar to the Ash Wednesday Storm of 1962--the groundswell from which actually punched a hole through Jupiter Island at Peck Lake. 

Anyone care to speculate on what we might see, fishing-wise, during and after the swell?  Super Storm Sandy (2012) delivered this kind of energy. We had great fishing after that--but of course that's when we still had seagrass in the IRL.  

I'm hoping we get some good ocean water flushed into the IRL, maybe displace the crappy brown water that's been sitting between the Jensen Cswy and power lines for the past 3 years.  The tides are going to do some weird things--I bet we get 1 or possibly 2 feet above normal high tide. 

Also hoping for a few days of offshore wind, but that's for another forum!

What do you guys think? 

Jeff Weakley

• hatcityhatcity Posts: 2,848 Captain
    all that new sand at bathtub will be gone
    I was not born stupid, just had lots of practice
  • Ron@.38 SpecialRon@.38 Special Posts: 6,659 Admiral
    This thing could produce a 15 second period.

The surfers are drooling all over themselves right now!
  • GarysmoGarysmo Posts: 144 Deckhand
    I wasn't here for the 1962 so this will all be new to me.  I can't image what the ocean or the inlets are going to look like.
  • SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 3,396 Captain
    Maybe it will calm down before hitting shore.
  • greyreefsharkgreyreefshark Posts: 304 Deckhand
  • privateer19privateer19 Posts: 315 Deckhand
    lol awesome greyreefshark
  • UsedtobeeasyUsedtobeeasy Posts: 5 Greenhorn
    If only an event like this could improve the IRL water quality, it would be great. However it would, unfortunately, be more than a miracle. 60 +  years of severe abuse can't be undone that easy.
  • nowinchattnowinchatt Posts: 45 Greenhorn
    This is like a California forecast. 10' seas with a 10 knot wind...crazy
    TUESDAY  Southeast winds 5 to 10 knots becoming south in the  afternoon. Seas 9 to 12 feet.
  • AftershockAftershock Posts: 156 Deckhand
    Bigger than the perfect storm Halloween swell?  We will have to see.  That was amazing.  I saw waves break across the LWI and a pilot boat swamped.  The Blue Heron was coming in from the afternoon trip and I think the captain was puckered up.

Looks like Monday will be the biggest day.  Surfers will be on the beach but not surfing.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file