SFWMD WRAC Recreation Meeting March 12

N. CookN. Cook Posts: 1,931 Captain
The SFWMD Recreation Meeting will be Monday March 12 at 5 pm at the District Offices on Gun Club Rd. in West Palm Beach.  These quarterly meetings involve issues from all stakeholders, including hunters and anglers, who recreate on the 600,000 acres of District land open to the public
All are welcome to the table.

Replies

• N. CookN. Cook Posts: 1,931 Captain
    This meeting will include A FWC PRESENTATION WITH PROPOSALS TO CHANGE THE WALK IN PROGRAM AT THE STAS.....If you hunt on the STAs you will want to be at this meeting.
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 18,508 AG
    N. Cook said:
    This meeting will include A FWC PRESENTATION WITH PROPOSALS TO CHANGE THE WALK IN PROGRAM AT THE STAS.....If you hunt on the STAs you will want to be at this meeting.
    This should get a tremendous turn out....or....
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • H20dadH20dad Posts: 746 Officer
    duckmanJR said:
    N. Cook said:
    The people who have jobs still can’t go. 
    H20dad said:
    duckmanJR said:
    N. Cook said:
    5 PM seems do-able....if you are concerned enough....I...am not. 
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • binellishtrbinellishtr Posts: 7,456 Admiral
    How is 5 do-able.. should start at 7 period
  • Big MakBig Mak Posts: 1,621 Captain
    Wouldn't matter if it started at midnight for me. There's no way in hayel it would be possible for me to get off my tug boat until Wednesday to attend ANYTHING, except a death or delivery. How's that for an excuse?
    Have to be concerned enough... 
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • gottheitch22gottheitch22 Posts: 4,101 Captain
    duckmanJR said:
    H20dad said:
    duckmanJR said:
    N. Cook said:
    5 PM seems do-able....if you are concerned enough....I...am not. 
    Yea I work till 7 so im out
    living life as i like
  • Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 2,605 Captain
    I've always wondered. Are the people at the SFWMD paid employees or is all their work voluntary? 

Or does working with the public and having stakeholder meetings not part of their job? Do they just do all of these things out of courtesy on their own time?

Reel Teal said:
    I've always wondered. Are the people at the SFWMD paid employees or is all their work voluntary? 

Or does working with the public and having stakeholder meetings not part of their job? Do they just do all of these things out of courtesy on their own time?

:D      

They are no different than anyone....they want to be home with wives and children after 5....and not listening to people whine and ****.....so a few times a year they have an evening meeting to say
     " There...we had a meeting" . 

Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    Everyone has choices JR. 

You want a lazy 9-5 job and don't want to have to deal with people and have no obligations then pick something else. I haven't heard anyone on a Water Management District say they were forced to take that job.

My company operates 24/7 bc we provide a service. Now, the water management district doesn't have to work 24/7 but to have a public meeting while the public is working to PAY THEIR SALARIES is a bit disingenuous. 

This is why the people are upset and usually are combative with public sector staffs. The public is treated like dirt. Not everyone works 9-5 like the employees of the government agencies. And 9-5 is being generous, bc some shut down even earlier than that
    It's 2108 and I'm busy docking a tanker. I will be here, locked in on duty until Wednesday morning. Staff's scheduling for this meeting does not work for me. Btw, I  haven't seen my family in 6 days while at work, so the chances of me doing anything outside of my family is slim to none. I barely have time to even hunt so the last thing I'm going to do this week is have smoke blown up my butt at a meeting.... Hopefully one day that will change, but as of now, it won't.
  • binellishtrbinellishtr Posts: 7,456 Admiral
    Just finished my last call for the day, now for some overseas follow up and hopefully 5 good hrs of sleep. It's really unfortunate we even need to have these meetings. Here's to hoping the guys who made it to the meeting made a diff. Otherwise nobody will be at the next meeting #neveragain
    I'm still moving ships and it's 0100. 
    #allidoiswork
    #joehasnoclue
    edited March 13 #16
    Reel Teal said:
    Everyone has choices JR. 

You want a lazy 9-5 job and don't want to have to deal with people and have no obligations then pick something else. I haven't heard anyone on a Water Management District say they were forced to take that job.

My company operates 24/7 bc we provide a service. Now, the water management district doesn't have to work 24/7 but to have a public meeting while the public is working to PAY THEIR SALARIES is a bit disingenuous. 

This is why the people are upset and usually are combative with public sector staffs. The public is treated like dirt. Not everyone works 9-5 like the employees of the government agencies. And 9-5 is being generous, bc some shut down even earlier than that
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Meh...  I worked a full career on either a 24 hr on 48 hr off...or a 12 hour shift... and oddly, still made it to meetings. If you *WANT* to make it...you do. 

I will say that the St Johns has theirs from 6 PM till 8...which gives a little more time for a 9 to 5 er so it is easier ....but a meeting *STARTING* after the work day...is not as terrible as one conducted DURING the work day. 

Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    Did you ever attend a meeting while on duty?

edited March 13 #18
    I'm still working...

#joestillhasnoclue
    Reel Teal said:
    Did you ever attend a meeting while on duty?

No, I took vacation leave, personal leave...or arranged a stand by.... because...I felt it was important.  ;)
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled

Big Mak said:
    I'm still working...

#joestillhasnoclue
     :D   Yep....never had a job....so I have no clue...  :D
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    edited March 13 #21
    Must've been nice. Guess the government only says "NO" to the people they serve. 

Not every employer sees meetings concerning recreation important enough to allow employees to miss work. They are there to run a business, make a profit, pay their employees. Just because you have time accrued doesn't always mean you get the time off granted for various reasons. 

That's the differnce in private and public sector. If public employees are not there, it's not like the fire station or police station will lose money. It's not like they can't do their job.

They aren't selling anything, there is no loss in the bottom line affecting other officers or firemen. You just have someone take the shift. Not everyone works in shifts. Some people are valuable to their employer and not every company has multiple people to perform the same task.

edited March 13 #22
    Amen Teal... There is no arranging a relief for me because my relief lives 5 hrs away, and he holds down his TRUE 24/7/7 hitch like I do. Not to mention, you can't just plug n play some **** clown in my seat like you can a security service gate operator like Joe was.

#joedontknow

Still working here... 7 days straight...

#cantleaveworktomakemeetings

• H20dadH20dad Posts: 746 Officer
  • Rich MRich M Posts: 927 Officer
    LOL!

You guys are funny!
    edited March 13 #25
    Sometimes the funniest things in life are hard truths, so it comes easy Rich....
  • spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 417 Deckhand
    edited March 13 #26
    Shouldn't even be a debate here.  These meetings should be READILY attendable by the public. 

When decisions are being made that affect the public at whole, the decision makers should expend a reasonable amount of energy to foster engagement and feedback.  When they schedule public meetings during normal business hours, it sends a message that they don't care to hear from the public. 

I believe FWC wants and supports hunting.  It's self preserving.  I also believe they acknowledge mistakes and are working to make the system better.  Closing and limiting access is NOT in their best interest.

Still don't understand the reasoning for reducing access by eliminating the walk on program.  Uniformity is not an answer.  There could uni-formally be walk on programs...
  • Rich MRich M Posts: 927 Officer
    Big Mak said:
    Sometimes the funniest things in life are hard truths, so it comes easy Rich....
    Very true.
    spangler said:
    Still don't understand the reasoning for reducing access by eliminating the walk on program.  Uniformity is not an answer.  There could uni-formally be walk on programs...
    It is a cop-out kind of answer.  There is an underlying issue that they are trying to solve and it is not uniformity if Goodwin gets to keep their walk-in program.
    What is funny...is that it would not matter one little bit the time of day...or which day ot was held....None of those who responded here would have attended. 
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    Rich M said:
    Big Mak said:
    Very true.
    spangler said:
    It is a cop-out kind of answer.  There is an underlying issue that they are trying to solve and it is not uniformity if Goodwin gets to keep their walk-in program.
     Rich, The district does not like the large crowds that gather in the pre dawn darkness..... 
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled

spangler said:
    Shouldn't even be a debate here.  These meetings should be READILY attendable by the public. 

When decisions are being made that affect the public at whole, the decision makers should expend a reasonable amount of energy to foster engagement and feedback.  When they schedule public meetings during normal business hours, it sends a message that they don't care to hear from the public. 

I believe FWC wants and supports hunting.  It's self preserving.  I also believe they acknowledge mistakes and are working to make the system better.  Closing and limiting access is NOT in their best interest.

FWC has nothing to do with this...they only *ADMINISTER* hunts....this is the district driving this. 
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled

Reel Teal said:
    Must've been nice. Guess the government only says "NO" to the people they serve. 

Not every employer sees meetings concerning recreation important enough to allow employees to miss work. They are there to run a business, make a profit, pay their employees. Just because you have time accrued doesn't always mean you get the time off granted for various reasons. 

That's the differnce in private and public sector. If public employees are not there, it's not like the fire station or police station will lose money. It's not like they can't do their job.

They aren't selling anything, there is no loss in the bottom line affecting other officers or firemen. You just have someone take the shift. Not everyone works in shifts. Some people are valuable to their employer and not every company has multiple people to perform the same task.

My employer did not get a reason why I take vacation or personal leave...nor did they care if I arranged a swap as long as it was done as outlined in my contract. 

You can make any excuse in the world why you didn't go...but as I said...If it was important enough...you go....period. 
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file