Rod floats/teathers

Go0ganGo0gan StuartPosts: 82 Greenhorn
Got waked by a commerical a hole under the stuart cause way and lost my crowder/penn combo. Thats the second nice combo I have lost. Do the pool noodles attached above the reel cause issues when casting? Does anyone have a teather system? Is it annoying? 

Replies

• jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,249 Moderator
    I've never used rod floats because I question whether they would hold up my heavy offshore combos.

I made rod leashes with parachord: they are a bit annoying when you carry 4 rods and want to switch between them offshore, or if kooks get caught in the leashes. But you know what? It's much cheaper than having to replace all that gear if you flip offshore. When I take guests on my kayaks, I leash the gear I loan them too lol.

I've gotten a bit lazy and now only leash my gear when I know the waves will be high. I just don't bother in flat calm conditions and I never leash my rods inshore. Yes, I understand the risks of my hubris.

Sidenote: If you own a Hobie, I highly suggest leashing your mirage drive as well. That leash is one I ALWAYS use.
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • GarysmoGarysmo Posts: 313 Deckhand
    I have rod leashes on all of mine; in fact I leash everything including my paddle.  I bought some from West Marine and I also made some.  The ones I made were out of the line that goes into a weed wacker; they are actually pretty nice.  There are youtube videos on how to make them...basically you wrap the line around a wooden dowel and then boil for 10 mins and then in the freezer for 10.

As for annoying, both are a little annoying but I play around with how I attach them around the rod base to get a comfortable position.  There are some nice little cords that you can use around the reel and these go to the leash.  I do have to say that if I am in a real calm area like the mangroves and fishing for reds or snook I sometimes take them off but most of the time they are on.
  • BarrellBarrell Posts: 991 Officer
    Never used a leash in 30 years. Only bring one rod and its always in my hand. Hobie! The more stuff you bring, the more you have to loose.
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 1,493 Officer
    I have always hated leashes, but they are necessary to reduce losses.  Sadly, I once had a rod slip out of my hands while I was fighting a fish on it :(  I use ProYaker leashes.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file