"Surprise Redfish" Homosassa 2/17/2018

Butch and Barbara(Mr and Mrs Butchbal) invited us out for a spin on the bay and maybe catch some sheepsheads. No wind, seas perfect, but major sea fog. River was clear, but starting at Marker 2a the fog started to get bad. It stayed that way to noon! Fished the nearshore rock plies with sheeps as our target. The girls caught all that came into the boat. Total of four with only one being legal. We worked hard, at least it looked like we were working.

Caught all the usual suspects, from baby groupers to almost everything that lives on the bottom with Spanish mackerel added to the list. We were just enjoying the day, shooting the bull, and then it happened! We got a triple. I had the elusive sponge fish, Barbara had the mini devil bass fish, and here comes the surprise, Butch had a 25 and 1/2 in. Redfish!!

Surprise, because we are sitting on a rock in 12ft of water. Butch then went on to boat another redfish exactly the same size and added to that a 20 in trout. It's the middle of February!!

Nothing like flats fishing in 12ft!! With the way things are shaping up, bait is back already, Spanish macks are showing up. Water temps are at 68 degrees. Cobia have to be right around the corner. We did watch an older guy by himself catch a big fish that carried him around the boat quite a few times. After watching him for 25 minutes we all took a guess that he had on a cobia.
Nice day on the water. Always an enjoyable day with the Butchbals. Spring has arrived early and this trip was one of those sit back and relax and enjoy Big Bend surprises.
Enjoy.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Replies

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 7,981 Admiral

Good day. We're looking forward to trying again this year for our first cobia.

People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 7,981 Admiral

Good day. We're looking forward to trying again this year for our first cobia.

People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,294 Moderator

Amazing . Not the redfish , the sponge. Tough getting those to bite. :D
    Looks like it's going to be a weird spring. I know you are excited about the possible cobia sighting !

"You'll get your weather"
  • SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 4,240 Captain

Good dill. Ya'll hit the jackpot.

I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
  • mburke001 aka TripleBmburke001 aka TripleB Posts: 1,025 Officer

👍

• HARRYDHARRYD Posts: 161 Deckhand

Anticipation is killing me. What did the "older guy" catch?

• Ruff OneRuff One HomosassaPosts: 1,818 Captain

After the 25 minute battle, he lost it. Line broke. He sat down in the boat and did not move. I think he was crying. Reason we thought maybe cobia was it took him round his boat over and over. A big grouper would have rocked him up.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,143 Captain

I wonder if the January freeze killed a lot of the crabs and other stuff inshore and the reds are on the deeper rocks looking for something to munch on. That's 4 reds in a week in that area. I've caught a few trout out there in the winter, but never reds before this year.

As for the big fish, it was probably a ray.

• Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,818 Captain

I haven't fished the creeks in a bit but with the warm early spring I guess I'm not terribly surprised the fish are leaving the creeks and starting to invade the flats. I much prefer that they be stacked up in a creek for easy pickins tho.

• Snook SpankerSnook Spanker Inglis / YankeetownPosts: 1,722 Captain

So that's where they are!! I've been out a couple times in the shallows around Yankeerown and haven't even seen a redfish even when the water hit 70!! Plus no trout either till I went out looking for sheephaidz! Out on some rocks in over 10' I caught a few 17"~19" troutz which I took home and ate!! Weird Spring is right!!
    Sounds like Y'all had a good time out yonder!!!

I am'z what I am'z and that'z all that I am'z!! > Popeye!
  • xmuskyguidexmuskyguide Beautiful HomosassaPosts: 1,415 Officer

Sounds like a lot of fun to me. Wife may get the all clear today. After several months, i'm ready to beat the water to a froth.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • permit_mepermit_me Posts: 821 Officer
    crazy. spring is here no doubt.
    the 16th Ted put me on a huge redfish i hooked in about 2 feet of water. braid broke when fish was in open and close to boat. saw a few fish slip by. no other bites. no trout or snook either. I did see a pair of adult poons roll in the river though on our way out. that made my day before we started, knowing whats on the horizon.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file