Kayak Registration

Small BoatsSmall Boats HomosassaPosts: 14 Greenhorn

I was considering adding an electric trolling motor to my Ocean Kayak. I bought it used a couple of years ago and do not have a title or bill of sale. How much aggravation am I in for to get it registered? Anyone been through this before? Thanks.

Replies

• krashkrash Posts: 558 Officer

Yes been through it before and it was not a fun adventure in Broward County. It seems to depend on where you are, but I had to jump through many hoops and make 3 trips to the DMV and one to a police station.

What you really need if its never been registered is whats called a "Manufacturers Statement of Origin"... if its been previously you may be able to take the FL #'s with you and go from there.
    I wrote a post on it long ago on this site, here is a post on another thread but is based on having that MSoO.
    My experience was without one.. basically 1st attempt I had a Bill of Sale (handwritten by previous owner) and the DMV lady just laughed at me and sent me packing.. Made a couple phone calls to the State DMV office, and another visit to the DMV and was sent away again, had to get a affidavit from the police that it was not stolen and also get them to inspect and sign another form verifying the serial number.

I've heard reports fomr others who had similar experiences, and some who walked into their DMV office, paid the fee and happily walked away with a registered paddle craft, but its true here in Florida if you have a motor you have to have FL#'s.... good luck

Old Fugger who just likes to fish
  • Small BoatsSmall Boats HomosassaPosts: 14 Greenhorn

Krash - thanks for the info. Sounds like without the paperwork a person is guilty of being a thief until proven innocent. I'm in Citrus County.....and I'll give them a call during the week.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file