first drift 15 pound golden in the box.Go back and make another drop
    fish on 18lb tile then we call it a day.Very slow out there glad we brought
    deep drop reels. PICS TO COME

• GATEKEEPERGATEKEEPER Posts: 48 Greenhorn

• tank85tank85 Posts: 44 Greenhorn

Nice job

• probate-rprobate-r Posts: 252 Deckhand
    edited February 18 #5

Great Job guys. We went out yesterday and trolled the reefs south of PE. Nice current rip in 165' but no bites in the first 2 hours. Decided to try out deep and found the Rosie’s plentiful. 3 drops and we had a dozen in the cooler and decided to go out and try for our first tilefish. Unfortunately 3 drops and no luck. What a nice day to be on the water though!

By the way, that’s my dad and daughter. That’s the first time my dad ever tried deep dropping and I think he’s hooked.

Intrepid 370 - "My Favorite"
  • Plastered2850Plastered2850 Posts: 1,322 Officer

@probate-r said:

Great Job guys. We went out yesterday and trolled the reefs south of PE. Nice current rip in 165' but no bites in the first 2 hours. Decided to try out deep and found the Rosie’s plentiful. 3 drops and we had a dozen in the cooler and decided to go out and try for our first tilefish. Unfortunately 3 drops and no luck. What a nice day to be on the water though!

By the way, that’s my dad and daughter. That’s the first time my dad ever tried deep dropping and I think he’s hooked.

Way to go we fish every Saturday if your out give
    us a call on 72.

• Flight RiskFlight Risk Posts: 2,370 Captain
    Neal, You Rock Brother! Outstanding.
    Remy sent me these pics a while back, this is first chance to see them here. Nice job man...
    Still getting used to this new forum format. Not sure if I like it.

Pura Vida!
  • b1gdog83b1gdog83 Posts: 93 Greenhorn
    It looks like your using rebar as your weight.  I can't quite tell from your pick how you made the loop to connect your snap swivel.  I'm just getting into deep dropping and I was using rebar also with a zip tie duct tapping it to the rebar.  However after about 15 drops the zip tie either broke or the duct tape didn't hold and I lost the rebar.  I was wondering if anyone could share a better way to connect rebar to a snap swivel?
  • Plastered2850Plastered2850 Posts: 1,322 Officer
    Neal, You Rock Brother! Outstanding.
    Remy sent me these pics a while back, this is first chance to see them here. Nice job man...
    Still getting used to this new forum format. Not sure if I like it.
    Thanks Bill i dont think anyone is happy
     with the new forum.
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 3,441 Captain
    b1gdog83 said:
    It looks like your using rebar as your weight.  I can't quite tell from your pick how you made the loop to connect your snap swivel.  I'm just getting into deep dropping and I was using rebar also with a zip tie duct tapping it to the rebar.  However after about 15 drops the zip tie either broke or the duct tape didn't hold and I lost the rebar.  I was wondering if anyone could share a better way to connect rebar to a snap swivel?
    use a cheap hose clamp  to squeeze a loop of 300 lb mono to the rebar. I generally add a cheap swivel to the heavy mono loop to tie a "breakaway" section of 40lb test to attach the sinker to the drop rig.
    Best if you can cut come chain links in half and weld them to the rebar but the hose clamp works fine.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 4,240 Captain
    Sweet
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
  • CountryBumpkinCountryBumpkin Fla. Piney WoodsPosts: 1,260 Officer
    I see people weld washers to the rebar also.

I say......I say son.......new & improved my tail feathers.

• FrydaddyFrydaddy Boynton BeachPosts: 357 Deckhand
    Call your local scrap yards and see if they have any counterweights for old windows and buy them from the scrap yard they already have the eyes on them and everything and you can cut them to size depending on how much weight you want
  • FrydaddyFrydaddy Boynton BeachPosts: 357 Deckhand
    You can also call local window companies and ask them to save them for you when they remove them and buy them even cheaper from them
  • Flight RiskFlight Risk Posts: 2,370 Captain
    If you have access to a a welder, you can take chain links, cut them in half and weld that to the top. I've brazed them on with an acetylene torch also, easy job.

Pura Vida!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file