Aeration or recirculation for baitwell

EdwardoEdwardo Posts: 16 Greenhorn

I'd like to install some sort of aeration or recirculation system in my 15-20 gallon baitwell on my bay boat. I want to use it for baitfish and maybe shrimp. Which method (aeration or recirculation) is better. For aeration I could just use a Bubble Box I guess. For recirculation I was looking at something like SEAFLO Portable Livewell Aeration Pump System. Can you guys give me some other ideas?

Replies

• Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 3,989 Moderator

Sorry to bust your bubble, but neither will keep scaled sardines or threadfins alive for a day of fishing. What you need is raw water in and a way to drain it. You will even have to change water several times a day for pins or shrimp with either a bubbler or a recirculation system

• TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 8,423 Admiral

Jack got it right.

The good news is that you can run a raw water system without a built in -- a friend had one mounted near the back of the boat with the intake going over the transom -- but you'll have to remove the intake when you're on plane.

• SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 3,144 Captain

Jack hit the nail on the head.

• EdwardoEdwardo Posts: 16 Greenhorn

I have a pump bringing outside water into the tank and a drain with plug but don't know how to equalize input and output. I usually pull the plug to let some water out and then turn the pump on a while. I was hoping for a simple solution to keep baitfish and shrimp alive.

• Alex from GAAlex from GA Posts: 1,083 Officer

Does the drain have a pipe in it for the water level or just a plug? The drain has to be larger than the intake.

• Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 3,989 Moderator

Where does the water drain when the plug is pulled. Simple answer is to put a stand pipe in place of the plug

Just a plug. I'll have to look and see if the drain is threaded; maybe I can rig something up.

@Jack Hexter said:
    Where does the water drain when the plug is pulled. Simple answer is to put a stand pipe in place of the plug

It drains out the back of the boat. I'll have to check about installing a drain pipe.

• Rich MRich M Posts: 624 Officer

I have a 10-gallon bait saver (looks like a white garbage can). The aerator in that thing is sick and works great. The only thing I haven't kept in there yet is live squid. Never caught a live squid - yet. Shrimp, mullet, pins are all hardy and easy to keep. Sardines, pilchards, menhaden are harder to keep alive so I limit the quantity of them in there based on the size of the baits.

I also use it with a Mr. Bubbles type aerator too.

The bilge pump style circulators seemed to kill more baits, strip the scales off 'em, etc. I think a bubbler is better than the bilge pump style rigs.

I guess where I'm going with all this is for you to have some form of aeration as it does make a big difference - bubbler is sufficient in most situations. Changing the water out is important too. Type and quantity of bait makes a difference too.

I wouldn't invest a lot if all you need for bait is 24 small pins/finger mullet or 100 shrimp. If we are talking 100s of pilchards, sardines, etc. every trip/often. Then, yes upgrade.

Think about what you are doing - you asked if a bubbler was good for shrimp and baitfish and you got - don't use a bubbler for sardines as an answer. Don't overdo it if you aren't gonna need it.

As it turns out, the drain in the baitwell is 1" diameter that uses a regular T-handle plug like in the rear of the boat; the drain is not threaded. I haven't found any 1" stand pipes. Does anyone know where I might find one? Any suggestions on fabricating one? Would a 1" stand pipe likely handle the outflow? Thanks again.

• Alex from GAAlex from GA Posts: 1,083 Officer

It depends on the inflow. As I said the outflow has to be larger than the inflow. You may have to put a larger drain in the tank and hose to run it out of the back. It sounds like you have a bassboat type of livewell that uses an aerator.

" It sounds like you have a bassboat type of livewell that uses an aerator." Its an aluminum bay boat; pretty much a bass boat with a center console. Xpress H20bay.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file