New SNAP proposal

Replies

• GA FinGA Fin Posts: 8,246 Admiral

@Soda Popinski said:
    well when she said she wanted to be a professional musician I almost crapped my pants. Now she understands get a good job, get a great career, and you can pursue things like that in your spare time. And when you've got a great job at a great company, you get to have spare time to pursue those things.

I said the same things to my daughters.

Straight white male living a life of privilege and proud of it.

"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters."
  • dave44dave44 Posts: 6,288 Admiral

In the early 80s I found myself in a really tough spot. You all may not know, and I’m sure the hard left won’t know, but that “government cheese” was pretty good, and it helped me tremendously.

There is nothing wrong with giving people what they need to survive and nothing more, it’s downright stupid to give them anything they want.

• Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 25,913 AG

Feed the poor miserable people, it won't fricken kill you, for Christ's sake. I can't imagine how **** a life must be living on food stamps and section 8 housing. I'd stay too drunk to hold a job.

Vote for the other candidate
  • fins4mefins4me Posts: 13,661 AG

Whether it is a community center where very BASIC food stuffs could be picked up after very strict standards are met or vouchers for very BASIC food stuffs or the delivery of very BASIC food stuffs,,,,, it should be limited and made more rare.

ALLISON XB 21,, MERCURY 300 Opti Max Pro Series (Slightly Modified) You can't catch me!!!
    "Today is MINE"

@fins4me said:
    Whether it is a community center where very BASIC food stuffs could be picked up after very strict standards are met or vouchers for very BASIC food stuffs or the delivery of very BASIC food stuffs,,,,, it should be limited and made more rare.

Why do care, it's likely no skin off your rear-end?

• ResinheadResinhead Posts: 7,976 Admiral
    edited February 15 #67

@Mister-Jr said:
    Feed the poor miserable people, it won't fricken kill you, for Christ's sake. I can't imagine how **** a life must be living on food stamps and section 8 housing. I'd stay too drunk to hold a job.

How many people are you feeding outside of you and your " fiance"?

@Mister-Jr said:

Obviously you’ve never been there and you feel guilty. Start giving till it hurts for Christ sakes. Don’t rely on the Gov to make everyone else do it. Put your money where you claim your guilty heart is!

• mustang190mustang190 Posts: 8,446 Admiral
    edited February 15 #69

Amazing how this devolves into a successful people are the evil ones! And I don’t mean the richest of people either.
    As far as tarponators rant, in my opinion there are no “poor” people in this country.
    Unlike tarponator I have been to countries where there are real poor people! Being poor here means you can only afford 3G’s not5! Or KFC not Outback Steakhouse!
    I don’t see Americans rooting around in a garbage dump looking for scraps.
    Maybe you should put down the cocktails at the yacht club and take a look around at the fraud and abuse that is there that I and others see every day.
    As someone said, teach a man to fish,,,,,,,

2013 Pathfinder 22 TE , 150 Yamaha,
  • mustang190mustang190 Posts: 8,446 Admiral

@Mister-Jr said:

They are being fed. Obesity is the number one health problem of the poor.

2013 Pathfinder 22 TE , 150 Yamaha,
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 23,068 AG
    edited February 15 #71

@mustang190 said:

I have, Check out the homeless around restaurants or stores. We have them come around the store and look through the garbage all the time, Saw one guy pull a cup out of the dumpster, shake it, and start drinking out of the straw in the lid,

Mini Mart Magnate

@mustang190 said:

@Mister-Jr said:

I imagine people living in poverty have a higher rate of smokers.

@cadman said:

@mustang190 said:

I have, Check out the homeless around restaurants or stores. We have them come around the store and look through the garbage all the time, Saw one guy pull a cup out of the dumpster, shake it, and start drinking out of the straw in the lid,

I’ve seen that too. It doesn’t seem to be necessary for them, most choose it. I think it’s more of a mental illness they have. They distrust any help.

They use to be institutionalized, but I think the movie “ one flew over a cuckoos nest” was a propaganda bonanza to close them down.

Of course, that is my opinion and others may vary.

edited February 15 #74

@Mister-Jr said:

@mustang190 said:

@Mister-Jr said:

If they are in poverty, how do they afford a $6 pack of cigarettes? or even a cheap $4 pack?

Seriously, this is one thing I see that bugs me. I get homeless people and people using SNAP buying $6 Newports or Marlboros and blunts from my stores, They buy the blunt to smoke Pot. How the heck does a homeless person afford Pot?

I have been told a lot of them smoke the spice crap since it is cheaper. but it is not a cheap habit. We have one homeless couple that buys 6 to 8 blunt wraps a day.

Mini Mart Magnate

• fins4mefins4me Posts: 13,661 AG

@Mister-Jr said:

@fins4me said:

Because as a taxpayer (not many of us these days) I am told it is my responsibility to keep these folks alive. Well ok. But it is not my responsibility to make them happy or satisfied. Cheese, flour, overstocks or surplus, pasta and maybe some oats and dried beans. Nothing more.

And no,,, it is not the taxpayers responsibility.

ALLISON XB 21,, MERCURY 300 Opti Max Pro Series (Slightly Modified) You can't catch me!!!
    "Today is MINE"
    edited February 15 #76

If you look at how cheap clean water ( out of your tap) is its amazing. Most countries can’t come close, and it doesn’t take much more than that to be a sustainable life. Dried foods have come a long way.

@cadman said:

@Mister-Jr said:

@mustang190 said:

@Mister-Jr said:

If they are in poverty, how do they afford a $6 pack of cigarettes? or even a cheap $4 pack?

Seriously, this is one thing I see that bugs me. I get homeless people and people using SNAP buying $6 Newports or Marlboros and blunts from my stores, They buy the blunt to smoke Pot. How the heck does a homeless person afford Pot?

I have been told a lot of them smoke the spice crap since it is cheaper. but it is not a cheap habit. We have one homeless couple that buys 6 to 8 blunt wraps a day.

Anyone poor in this country has some problems I don't have. If they want to spend whatever money they get panhandling or whatever else they do, I don't care how they spend it. I'm telling you, I would drink the cheapest hooch I could buy 24 hours a day.

@Mister-Jr said:

@cadman said:

@Mister-Jr said:

@mustang190 said:

@Mister-Jr said:

Anyone poor in this country has some problems I don't have. If they want to spend whatever money they get panhandling or whatever else they do, I don't care how they spend it. I'm telling you, I would drink the cheapest hooch I could buy 24 hours a day.

Most do, They buy high alcohol cheap beer from the time they wake up.

Mini Mart Magnate

@fins4me said:

@Mister-Jr said:

@fins4me said:

Because as a taxpayer (not many of us these days) I am told it is my responsibility to keep these folks alive. Well ok. But it is not my responsibility to make them happy or satisfied. Cheese, flour, overstocks or surplus, pasta and maybe some oats and dried beans. Nothing more.

If you don't want dead carcasses littering the street you better help them. Sometimes life's a ****, but that's the way it is.

If you don't want dead carcasses littering the street you better help them. Sometimes life's a ****, but that's the way it is.

No, it’s not the way it is. Sounds like talking points based in hyperbole.
    You claim to be smarter than that? Is that all you have?

edited February 15 #81

@Mister-Jr said:

@fins4me said:

@Mister-Jr said:

@fins4me said:

Happens anyway, we called the ambulance for a homeless guy passed out behind our dumpster about 3 weeks ago, He was dead when they got there,.

Mini Mart Magnate

@cadman said:

@Mister-Jr said:

@fins4me said:

@Mister-Jr said:

@fins4me said:

Happens anyway, we called the ambulance for a homeless guy passed out behind our dumpster about 3 weeks ago, He was dead when they got there,.

Quite the life these poor bastards have. I'm not crackin' on a guy that dies behind a dumpster.

@Mister-Jr said:

@cadman said:

@Mister-Jr said:

@fins4me said:

@Mister-Jr said:

@fins4me said:

Quite the life these poor bastards have. I'm not crackin' on a guy that dies behind a dumpster.

When you choose to drink your life away instead of trying to do better, the results are never promising.

Mini Mart Magnate

@cadman said:

@Mister-Jr said:

@cadman said:

@Mister-Jr said:

@fins4me said:

@Mister-Jr said:

@fins4me said:

When you choose to drink your life away instead of trying to do better, the results are never promising.

I don't know the circumstances that got these people to where they are. Some are lazy, many, I believe are mentally ill, but whatever the reason, their life is already ****, so I'm not piling on.

@cadman said:

@Mister-Jr said:

@cadman said:

@Mister-Jr said:

@fins4me said:

@Mister-Jr said:

@fins4me said:

I don't know the circumstances that got these people to where they are. Some are lazy, many, I believe are mentally ill, but whatever the reason, their life is already ****, so I'm not piling on.

• mplspugmplspug Lake Mary, FloridaPosts: 5,318 Admiral

@Tarponator said:

@mplspug said:

@Tarponator said:

@Soda Popinski said:
    And soda. Why in the hell is soda allowed to be bought with ebt cards??? 100% juice or NOTHING!!!

Brilliant! Poor people shouldn't get to enjoy Coke, they should be drinking only Tropicana!

Cynicism aside, I find it curious how enthusiastic some are to take things away from those they look down upon.

I guess they haven't earned it yet and should all just try harder, right?

It's called tough love. It makes people better.

I'm sure the average widowed grandmother EBT recipient appreciates your caring.

I love anecdotes! But even this imaginary person should be practicing tough love.

Captain Todd Approves

• mplspugmplspug Lake Mary, FloridaPosts: 5,318 Admiral

Ok, we all need to agree to clean up our quoted text. I could follow the last couple of dozen replies on my phone because there were so many multiple quotes , every reply was several scrolled screens long.

Captain Todd Approves

@mplspug said:
    Ok, we all need to agree to clean up our quoted text. I could follow the last couple of dozen replies on my phone because there were so many multiple quotes , every reply was several scrolled screens long.

Yes! I have started cleaning up the quotes from quotes of quotes. It seems like a bit of overkill to keep rehashing the original quote when it has progressed to something entirely different.

• Bimini TwistedBimini Twisted Posts: 10,510 AG

About 23,000 active-duty troops use food stamps in 2013, the most recent year for which such data were available.

@Bimini Twisted said:
    About 23,000 active-duty troops use food stamps in 2013, the most recent year for which such data were available.

It looks like you are trying to start a different thread? Go ahead and go for it. That has been the case for decades, well before food stamps.

The basic staples were good at one time, and I used to love MREs.

@cadman said:

@Mister-Jr said:

@cadman said:

@Mister-Jr said:

@fins4me said:

@Mister-Jr said:

@fins4me said:

I don't know the circumstances that got these people to where they are. Some are lazy, many, I believe are mentally ill, but whatever the reason, their life is already ****, so I'm not piling on.> @Resinhead said:

@Mister-Jr said:

Says the person who put his dad in a nursing home and watched him die instead of keeping him at home where he would watch over him and comfort him.

POS

The internet is a safe place for cowards like you. Say whatever you want with no consequences.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file