New SNAP proposal

Replies

• HeatwaveHeatwave Posts: 1,970 Captain

@Cyclist said:

@mustang190 said:
    Poverty is supposed to be uncomfortable. We have made it comfortable and in some cases, profitable.

Stupid **** thing anybody has every said on this forum.

I don't know, people are taking advantage of the system in poverty situations. White trash, the hud, different inner cities, then they have more kids, get more money and so on. Been going on way too long and it should be stopped. That isn't going to happen with OUR system now when say, the local bridge needs repaired. 75 years ago they would hire 500 people and put shovels in their hands. Today, they hire a corp. where the owner gets 90% of all the money, subs out the other work to small companies run by temp services. So, it wont work.

Tell ya, I agree with you guys, but also know, it isn't going to change, it cant and have a good outcome. If someone can make a legit statement as to how it does, I would love to hear it. Consider all situations, not just what you wish they would do, or what YOU would do. How does the Gov't fix it ? Legit way, not shoot um, move them back to mexico, Africa, something legit and debate it in place of anger and name calling

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 7,698 Admiral

@Cyclist said:
    Fraud in the system is minimal. How come the right doesn't approach fraud by the super rich and the huge companies in the same way. SNAP fraud pails in comparison to say the medicare fraud perpetuated by rich scotts company. Fraud by poor people does not hit the typical tax payers pocket book like fraud by millionaires and billionaires.

There is a new study on why poor people eat junk food and feed it to their kids as opposed to wealthy people. It has everything to do with poor people having to say no to their kids. No to new shoes, no to disneyland, no to new toys. Junk food is the ONE thing poor people can say yes too, it is a psychological validation of their parenting, people hate deprive their kids of every little thing that could possibly bring them joy. Interesting thought.

It's also a much more cost effective method of feeding your kids. I think that plays a much more significant role than monetary guilt. Cheese, milk, pasta cost more together than just buying that $.89 box of thrifty maid mac n cheese. It's also easier to make. Juice is more expensive than soda especially if you buy the generic brands. I've seen the wall of 50 different flavors of carbonate sugar water that chek brand sells. Same thing with cookies, and chips. They also last a lot longer with all the preservatives. If you only make one trip to the store a week, most fresh fruits and vegetables spoil before people use them.

Pumping kids full of sugar and then giving them games that keep them on the couch is not doing them any favors.

People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • Florida Ex-patFlorida Ex-pat Posts: 442 Deckhand

@Cyclist said:
    Fraud in the system is minimal. How come the right doesn't approach fraud by the super rich and the huge companies in the same way. SNAP fraud pails in comparison to say the medicare fraud perpetuated by rich scotts company. Fraud by poor people does not hit the typical tax payers pocket book like fraud by millionaires and billionaires.

There is a new study on why poor people eat junk food and feed it to their kids as opposed to wealthy people. It has everything to do with poor people having to say no to their kids. No to new shoes, no to disneyland, no to new toys. Junk food is the ONE thing poor people can say yes too, it is a psychological validation of their parenting, people hate deprive their kids of every little thing that could possibly bring them joy. Interesting thought.

As with many things in life the actions of a percentage of a group taint the image of that group as a whole. The perception blurs the fact that a life of poverty is somehow easy. Easy is hard to measure. For someone that gets up early and works all day to provide for themselves and their families, a life not working would seem easy.

Healthier items are usually much more expensive and more difficult to prepare than less healthy and pre-made items. I doubt that there is a lot of concern about saying "no" than being able to simply give the child something to eat.

• CyclistCyclist Posts: 22,199 AG
    edited February 14 #35

Right wingers lick the boots and kiss the assess of rich white crooked men but soon as some poor poverty stricken peon steals or try's and beg for 5$ you would think the frigging sky was falling and they were diddling their wives or something.

133cbf2b243368b1ddb2f591a1988076--beach-posters-florida-travel.jpg
  • mplspugmplspug Lake Mary, FloridaPosts: 5,897 Admiral
    edited February 14 #36

@Tarponator said:

@Soda Popinski said:
    And soda. Why in the hell is soda allowed to be bought with ebt cards??? 100% juice or NOTHING!!!

Brilliant! Poor people shouldn't get to enjoy Coke, they should be drinking only Tropicana!

Cynicism aside, I find it curious how enthusiastic some are to take things away from those they look down upon.

I guess they haven't earned it yet and should all just try harder, right?

It's called tough love. It makes people better.

@Cyclist said:

You know what really validates a person as a parent?

Captain Todd Approves

edited February 14 #37

@Cyclist said:
    Right wingers lick the boots and kiss the assess of rich white crooked men but soon as some poor poverty stricken peon steals or try's and beg for 5$ you would think the frigging sky was falling and they were diddling their wives or something.

Captain Todd Approves

@mplspug said:

@Tarponator said:

@Soda Popinski said:
    And soda. Why in the hell is soda allowed to be bought with ebt cards??? 100% juice or NOTHING!!!

Brilliant! Poor people shouldn't get to enjoy Coke, they should be drinking only Tropicana!

Cynicism aside, I find it curious how enthusiastic some are to take things away from those they look down upon.

@Cyclist said:

You know what really validates a person as a parent?

I don't get how the left can try to ban sodas in new york, then defend giving them to children they think are not old enough to make good decisions about their own health. Soda is not a health drink.

People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.

@mplspug said:

@Tarponator said:

@Soda Popinski said:

@Cyclist said:

**> You know what really validates a person as a parent? **

Lucky enough to be born with a safety net, loving parents and not being a person of color are all significant factors....of course there is hard work as well, but if you are starting at the bottom of the ladder, you must be exceptionally hard working and lucky.

edited February 14 #40

Got it. You have a guilt complex. :)

I wish my parents were a little more strict with me. Maybe I would be shooting Tesla's into space instead of trying so hard to be validated on a Fishing Forum.

Captain Todd Approves

• TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 9,611 Admiral

@mustang190 said:

@Tarponator said:
    What bothers me more is he's sincere.

Your **** right I’m sincere.
    The truth hurts, don’t it!

No, but your lack of understanding and compassion does.

edited February 14 #42

@Soda Popinski said:

@Tarponator said:

@Soda Popinski said:

That's not how I feel at all. But I have worked at Winn Dixie and watched people come through with their EBT cards and buy nothing but junk food. And become grossly overweight. And have health issues. Now I'm not only paying for their food, i'm paying for the diabetes medication, and all the things that go along with obesity.

If someone is truly in trouble, then what is wrong with eating frugally? I was out of work for 10 months back in 2012 and I never qualified for EBT or unemployment either. We just suffered along on chicken/rice/pasta, and all the cheap food we could because that's what we could afford.

So speaking as someone who went through it, it infuriates me to see people abuse something that is supposed to go to help people who truly need it. Should we allow EBT cards to be used at fast food restaurants so people can enjoy a night out as well?

It's food. And when you can't afford it and the state has to step in, it should be basic food. If you want it to taste great, learn to cook. That's what i did.

Thanks, for the explanation, but I think I understand how you felt already.

Of course there's no reason for someone "in trouble" not to "eat frugally", as you put it. And nobody is suggesting that EBT cards can be used at restaurants.

The issue is forcing them to buy certain types of foods and not others, as you were so kind to suggest with the example I quoted.

But what's noteworthy to me is the level of "infuriation" about such a small portion of our federal spending that you would have them all eating canned foods or other foods you deem worthy of their socio-economic position...as if a bit more motivation in the form of crappy food is what's needed to address our poverty problem.

There are plenty of things about this country to be infuriated about, but a poor person's food choice is pretty **** low on the list for me....Mike

@Cyclist said:

They do at the start, but it gets squashed by mega millionaire attys. They also pay a PR firm to keep coverage down. This is how a Plutocracy works. Started in the 1980s and it takes at the very least 50 years to get to the point of Full Blown Plutocracy. To the WINNERS ONLY go the spoils.. Everyone else can eat a menorah.

edited February 14 #44

@mustang190 said:

@Cyclist said:

@Bib said:

@Cyclist said:

@mustang190 said:
    Poverty is supposed to be uncomfortable. We have made it comfortable and in some cases, profitable.

Stupid **** thing anybody has every said on this forum.

never heard of people selling food vouchers for .50c on the dollar? or trading them for cigs or booze?

and what pisses me off is places like farmers markets giving .50 on the dollar for ebt holders. god forbid people who work their **** off and aren't on welfare should get any such benefits.

What I think is ridiculous is that some people think that poverty is a day off from work with bon bons. It is anything but, and the people on snap work...likely several low paying jobs that make the wallmarts of the world rich. Ignorance is bliss.

What you and others like tarponator fail to see is the abuse and fraud in the system. So what if there is abuse? As long as those doing it vote for the proper politicians?
    I notice that you lefties scream like stuck pigs when the need for government assistance starts to drop. I guess the more people who are dependent on handouts is a good thing??

Oh, really? Show me the fraud and abuse. I'll wait.

And I never "scream like [a] stuck pig" when "the need for government assistance starts to drop" -- to the contrary, that would be a wonderful thing and should (and is) the goal of these types of government programs. What's more, is we should continue to evolve them to further this goal -- and these programs have room to improve and be reformed -- just not limit them as was suggested by you and others in hopes that it will further motivate the poor into trying harder.

I hope this clears things up for you as to what I think, and I would very much like for you to share the evidence requested above.

Thanks....MIke

@Tarponator said:

@Soda Popinski said:

@Tarponator said:

@Soda Popinski said:

That's not how I feel at all. But I have worked at Winn Dixie and watched people come through with their EBT cards and buy nothing but junk food. And become grossly overweight. And have health issues. Now I'm not only paying for their food, i'm paying for the diabetes medication, and all the things that go along with obesity.

If someone is truly in trouble, then what is wrong with eating frugally? I was out of work for 10 months back in 2012 and I never qualified for EBT or unemployment either. We just suffered along on chicken/rice/pasta, and all the cheap food we could because that's what we could afford.

So speaking as someone who went through it, it infuriates me to see people abuse something that is supposed to go to help people who truly need it. Should we allow EBT cards to be used at fast food restaurants so people can enjoy a night out as well?

It's food. And when you can't afford it and the state has to step in, it should be basic food. If you want it to taste great, learn to cook. That's what i did.

Of course there's no reason for someone "in trouble" not to "eat frugally", as you put it. And nobody is suggesting that EBT cards can be used at restaurants.

The issue is forcing them to buy certain types of foods and not others, as you were so kind to suggest with the example I quoted.

But what's noteworthy to me is the level of "infuriation" about such a small portion of our federal spending that you would have them all eating canned foods or other foods you deem worthy of their socio-economic position...as if a bit more motivation in the form of crappy food is what's needed to address our poverty problem.

No my comments were about soda and luxury items such as crab legs. But misinterpret however you like. I've been in those situations and i've seen people misuse the service. Unless you have also worked at those grocery stores and been there 45 hrs a week watching it happen i really don't feel like you've got as educated an opinion as you think you do.

@mplspug said:
    Got it. You have a guilt complex. :)

I wish my parents were a little more strict with me. Maybe I would be shooting Tesla's into space instead of trying so hard to be validated on a Fishing Forum.

Even if they had been and you were the one doing what Musk does each day. Not everyone can be that or even close to it. The fact still remains, you are a very smart person and sure you do great, like just about everyone here. The problem isn't anyone here, it is all the people above and below us. No way to clean up the bottom unless you take from the top.
    The next problem will be, when there is no middle and that is not far away.

@Soda Popinski said:

@Tarponator said:

@Soda Popinski said:

I agree, now how do YOU fix it ? I like complaining too and think you are right, seen it all before too. A women comes walking in that grocery store with 4 kids, no job, renting an 800$ month apt. Now, fix her situation ? Do we just throw her on the street ? We have all gone over this crap so many times, and never a solution. Just more hate for those that suck on the system. That fixes nothing...

@Heatwave said:

@Soda Popinski said:

@Tarponator said:

@Soda Popinski said:

I agree, now how do YOU fix it ? I like complaining too and think you are right, seen it all before too. A women comes walking in that grocery store with 4 kids, no job, renting an 800$ month apt. Now, fix her situation ? Do we just throw her on the street ? We have all gone over this crap so many times, and never a solution. Just more hate for those that suck on the system. That fixes nothing...

If I had answers I would happily give them. Wasn't Michelle Obama's whole focus as first lady child obesity? Shouldn't getting soda and HFCS drinks out of low income houses been the first priority? Seems like the most obvious place to start.

Unemployment, last time I checked was pretty low. The only people that aren't working right now are the ones who aren't interested in working.

@mplspug said:

@Tarponator said:

@Soda Popinski said:

I'm sure the average widowed grandmother EBT recipient appreciates your caring.

edited February 14 #50

@Soda Popinski said:

@Heatwave said:

@Soda Popinski said:

@Tarponator said:

@Soda Popinski said:

If I had answers I would happily give them. Wasn't Michelle Obama's whole focus as first lady child obesity? Shouldn't getting soda and HFCS drinks out of low income houses been the first priority? Seems like the most obvious place to start.

Unemployment, last time I checked was pretty low. The only people that aren't working right now are the ones who aren't interested in working.

Unemployment is low, under employment is at an all time high. That is employed people working their butts off but still making a poverty wage.

Did you know the top 25 hedge fund managers make more money than all of the middle school teachers in America combined?

The rich used to contribute to society, Carnegie built 300,000 libraries. Today, 50% of the silicon valley millionaires and billionaires spend millions and millions in prepping to survive for societal collapse that will never happen.

@Cyclist said:

@Soda Popinski said:

@Heatwave said:

@Soda Popinski said:

@Tarponator said:

@Soda Popinski said:

Unemployment is low, under employment is at an all time high. That is employed people working their butts off but still making a poverty wage.

Did you know the top 25 hedge fun managers make more money than all of the middle school teachers in America combined?

Guess I should have become a hedge fund manager. I'm jealous now so does that mean I get their money?

@Soda Popinski said:

@Cyclist said:

@Soda Popinski said:

@Heatwave said:

@Soda Popinski said:

@Tarponator said:

@Soda Popinski said:

Did you know the top 25 hedge fun managers make more money than all of the middle school teachers in America combined?

Guess I should have become a hedge fund manager. I'm jealous now so does that mean I get their money?

What is means is we value **** heads over those people who teach our kids.

@Soda Popinski said:

@Tarponator said:

@Soda Popinski said:

@Tarponator said:

@Soda Popinski said:

No my comments were about soda and luxury items such as crab legs. But misinterpret however you like. I've been in those situations and i've seen people misuse the service. Unless you have also worked at those grocery stores and been there 45 hrs a week watching it happen i really don't feel like you've got as educated an opinion as you think you do.

Since when are soda and junk food luxury items?

Listen if someone wants to buy crab legs with their EBT, as much as I would like to teach/force them to make better decisions with their monies, I simply disagree that doing things such as was suggested by GA Fin and you will accomplish the goal, although it might make you feel a bit better about giving $0.05 of your tax dollar to support such a program.

• toomertoomer Posts: 316 Deckhand

Back to the OP: Dumb **** idea to box up 10's of thousands of boxes each month, mail them to addresses that no doubt will be less than 80% accurate, under the watchful eyes of neighborhood scammers, and at an astronomical cost in overhead and logistics.

• cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 23,535 AG

You want to save money and make it simple, just give them cash, Go to a minimum income system. If they fall below poverty, give them an ATM card with the difference to bring them to 110% of the poverty level, This crap of an agency to handle food, another housing, another WIC, inspectors to check stores and all the other costs, Just get rid of it and give them cash, Who gives a crap if they spend it on cigarettes., drugs, or whatever.Then they will starve for a month and learn to be an adult. If they have kids and waste the money take the kids away form them, if they aren't adult enough to handle money, they shouldn't have kids to begin with.

Also require anyone under the social security full retirement age who is not disabled to have a job to get any benefits. Need to provide a day care program to give mothers a place to take the kids while they work somehow, could be a job for those getting benefits who pass a background check. I know a few homeless people capable of working who would rather drink all day and get their EBT to get food.

Mini Mart Magnate

• GA FinGA Fin Posts: 8,460 Admiral

Wow. Cyclist sounds like one miserable dude. I believe your heart is in the right place, your mind just has not caught up.

If anyone can't afford food we should help them(and we do). They should be provided nourishing food.

What we really need to do is help them become self sustaining. The liberals and conservatives are not doing anything to make that happen.

Try as some may to make it a racial issue is ignorant. Plenty of white folk on the EBT(maybe the majority of EBT users, I haven't looked it up).

Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime.

When someone is born into poverty it is hard to get them out. Poverty is all they know. It is generational. They best thing they could do is stop breeding. Take care of yourself before you spawn.

Straight white male living a life of privilege and proud of it.

"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters."

@Cyclist said:

@Soda Popinski said:

@Cyclist said:

@Soda Popinski said:

@Heatwave said:

@Soda Popinski said:

@Tarponator said:

@Soda Popinski said:

I take my kids education very seriously. I valued it and when my daughter wanted advice on a career i gave her good advice. With no scholarships she worked through two years of CC and transferred to FAU and she's getting her degree in accounting while working a 40hr a week job, paying her own rent and expenses without student loans. She has been headhunted by companies and when she graduates she has a job lined up waiting for her.

all this with parents who don't make big money. aren't born of privilege. She's getting by on hard work and dedication and it's stressful. She has broken down before and said she didn't think she could do it all. but then she sees the big picture and keeps at it.

She has had zero advantages in this world. And she will be very successful. I don't know how teaching our kids had anything to do with this SNAP program but since you brought it up as parents we took ownership of our kids education and instead of blaming rich people we raised a kid who's going to join them. But it isn't easy. so not everyone does it.

@Soda Popinski said:

@Cyclist said:

@Soda Popinski said:

@Cyclist said:

@Soda Popinski said:

@Heatwave said:

@Soda Popinski said:

@Tarponator said:

@Soda Popinski said:

I take my kids education very seriously. I valued it and when my daughter wanted advice on a career i gave her good advice. With no scholarships she worked through two years of CC and transferred to FAU and she's getting her degree in accounting while working a 40hr a week job, paying her own rent and expenses without student loans. She has been headhunted by companies and when she graduates she has a job lined up waiting for her.

all this with parents who don't make big money. aren't born of privilege. She's getting by on hard work and dedication and it's stressful. She has broken down before and said she didn't think she could do it all. but then she sees the big picture and keeps at it.

She has had zero advantages in this world. And she will be very successful. I don't know how teaching our kids had anything to do with this SNAP program but since you brought it up as parents we took ownership of our kids education and instead of blaming rich people we raised a kid who's going to join them. But it isn't easy. so not everyone does it.

The fact that the top 25 hedge fund managers make more than all the middle school teachers combined says a lot about how screwed up our society is. I would argue that middle schools teachers provide a service to our community that is a hell of a lot more valuable than what the managers do. America is messed up, and getting worse, what with the orange man ethic an all.

hedge fund
    noun
    noun: hedge fund; plural noun: hedge funds

a limited partnership of investors that uses high risk methods, such as investing with borrowed money, in hopes of realizing large capital gains.

• GA FinGA Fin Posts: 8,460 Admiral

@Soda Popinski said:
    She has had zero advantages in this world. And she will be very successful.

It appears she has one huge advantage. She was raised right by good parents.

Straight white male living a life of privilege and proud of it.

"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters."
  • jcbcpajcbcpa Posts: 1,424 Officer

@cadman said:
    You want to save money and make it simple, just give them cash, Go to a minimum income system. If they fall below poverty, give them an ATM card with the difference to bring them to 110% of the poverty level, This crap of an agency to handle food, another housing, another WIC, inspectors to check stores and all the other costs, Just get rid of it and give them cash, Who gives a crap if they spend it on cigarettes., drugs, or whatever.Then they will starve for a month and learn to be an adult. If they have kids and waste the money take the kids away form them, if they aren't adult enough to handle money, they shouldn't have kids to begin with.

Also require anyone under the social security full retirement age who is not disabled to have a job to get any benefits. Need to provide a day care program to give mothers a place to take the kids while they work somehow, could be a job for those getting benefits who pass a background check. I know a few homeless people capable of working who would rather drink all day and get their EBT to get food.

This 100%.
    A few years back we hired a receptionist at $12.00 an hour. That's our starting pay for anybody we hire that's not a professional. Anyway, she had 3 children and 2 grandchildren that she was raising at home. Her church members pitched in and told her that if she would get a job some church members would help provide child care for her kids when they got home from school. She was a very talented and smart person and really wanted to work. Now, and don't hold me to any dollar amounts because I don't remember, but once she started working her EBT benefits were cut from something like $1,200 a month to $300 or $400. So, instead of being able to provide things that they needed and hadn't been able to do for themselves, she had to now use some of her salary to make up for the cut in EBT.

I can't give you a sure-fire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time.
    Herbert Bayard Swope
    US editor & journalist (1882 - 1958)

@GA Fin said:

@Soda Popinski said:
    She has had zero advantages in this world. And she will be very successful.

It appears she has one huge advantage. She was raised right by good parents.

well when she said she wanted to be a professional musician I almost crapped my pants. Now she understands get a good job, get a great career, and you can pursue things like that in your spare time. And when you've got a great job at a great company, you get to have spare time to pursue those things.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file