New SNAP proposal

toomertoomer Posts: 308 Deckhand

I think the move to mail food to people is one of the dumber ideas to come along in many years. It has nothing to do with the morality issues. Can you imagine the theft of boxes that would be going on? And it will be more expensive.

Replies

• MGTeacherMGTeacher South GaPosts: 1,351 Officer

Great Idea Ga Fin

My Favorite Smile Is Vertical
  • ResinheadResinhead Posts: 7,914 Admiral

@GA Fin said:
    Open EBT stores or have EBT only products in regular retail stores.

Cheese.
    Produce.
    Milk.
    Chicken.
    Tuna in the can.
    Rice.
    Bread.
    Dry beans.
    Peanut butter.

If you want anything else get a job(or another job).

Open EBT stores and have them staffed by EBT using folks. Give them a hand up not a hand out.

TOUCHDOWN!

• dave44dave44 Posts: 6,229 Admiral

Best idea I’ve heard! Up here you can only buy alchohol from state run stores that send you out with your purchase in black plastic bags, like a nudy magazine is with it.

Since infrastructure is already there it should be an easy jump for GA Fins idea to work.

• SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 3,144 Captain

@GA Fin said:

Cheese.
    Produce.
    Milk.
    Chicken.
    Tuna in the can.
    Rice.
    Bread.
    Dry beans.
    Peanut butter.

Open EBT stores and have them staffed by EBT using folks. Give them a hand up not a hand out.

That's the way it use to be. You could only buy basic (but Good) food, that you had to prepare.

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski Posts: 6,743 Admiral

I agree 100%. I'm tired of seeing people with two separate sets of items at the grocery store. One is all their free food....the other is usually cheap beer and then they ask for cigs from behind the counter. and when I see them buying seafood like crab legs with ebt cards it makes my blood boil. Rice pasta bread chicken ground beef vegetables. And whole canned veggies like tomatoes. Make your own sauce instead of hunts that's full of sugar.

And soda. Why in the hell is soda allowed to be bought with ebt cards??? 100% juice or NOTHING!!!

People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • mustang190mustang190 Posts: 8,402 Admiral

Poverty is supposed to be uncomfortable. We have made it comfortable and in some cases, profitable.

2013 Pathfinder 22 TE , 150 Yamaha,

@toomer said:
    I think the move to mail food to people is one of the dumber ideas to come along in many years. It has nothing to do with the morality issues. Can you imagine the theft of boxes that would be going on? And it will be more expensive.

Why would theft be a problem? The recipients are home. They ain’t got a job.

@mustang190 said:

@toomer said:

Well you know if they leave the house they might accidentally stumble into somewhere that's hiring and get a job. can't have that.

People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.

You might be right.
    When they find out their only getting black beans, rice, grits and cheese they might decide to go look for a job.

• MGTeacherMGTeacher South GaPosts: 1,351 Officer

@mustang190 said:
    You might be right.
    When they find out their only getting black beans, rice, grits and cheese they might decide to go look for a job.

One can only hope.

My Favorite Smile Is Vertical
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 8,422 Admiral
    edited February 14 #13

@mustang190 said:

@toomer said:

So you seem to a bit confused, Mustang. Please allow me to help:

https://www.fns.usda.gov/snap/facts-about-snap

_With certain exceptions, able-bodied adults between 16 and 60 years of age must register for work, accept an offer of suitable work, and take part in an employment and training program to which they will be referred by the SNAP office.

Generally, able-bodied adults aged 18 to 50 who do not have children and are not pregnant can only get SNAP benefits for 3 months in a 3-year period unless they are working or participating in a work or workfare program. There are a few exceptions._

edited February 14 #14

@Slough said:

@GA Fin said:

Cheese.
    Produce.
    Milk.
    Chicken.
    Tuna in the can.
    Rice.
    Bread.
    Dry beans.
    Peanut butter.

That's the way it use to be. You could only buy basic (but Good) food, that you had to prepare.

That's still the way that it is -- except there never was a "EBT store". Nothing about EBT/food stamps has changed in this regard.

https://www.fns.usda.gov/snap/facts-about-snap

_SNAP benefits can only be used for food and for plants and seeds to grow food for your household to eat.

Sales tax cannot be charged on items bought with SNAP benefits.

SNAP benefits cannot be used to buy:

. Any nonfood item, such as pet foods; soaps, paper products, and household supplies; grooming items, toothpaste, and cosmetics
    . Alcoholic beverages and tobacco
    . Vitamins and medicines
    . Any food that will be eaten in the store
    . Hot foods_

edited February 14 #15

@Soda Popinski said:
    And soda. Why in the hell is soda allowed to be bought with ebt cards??? 100% juice or NOTHING!!!

Brilliant! Poor people shouldn't get to enjoy Coke, they should be drinking only Tropicana!

Cynicism aside, I find it curious how enthusiastic some are to take things away from those they look down upon.

I guess they haven't earned it yet and should all just try harder, right?

• CyclistCyclist Posts: 21,660 AG

@GA Fin said:

Cheese.
    Produce.
    Milk.
    Chicken.
    Tuna in the can.
    Rice.
    Bread.
    Dry beans.
    Peanut butter.

If you want anything else get a job(or A FIFTH job).

133cbf2b243368b1ddb2f591a1988076--beach-posters-florida-travel.jpg

@mustang190 said:
    Poverty is supposed to be uncomfortable. We have made it comfortable and in some cases, profitable.

Stupid **** thing anybody has every said on this forum.

What bothers me more is he's sincere.

• BibBib Posts: 2,327 Captain

@Cyclist said:

@mustang190 said:

never heard of people selling food vouchers for .50c on the dollar? or trading them for cigs or booze?

and what pisses me off is places like farmers markets giving .50 on the dollar for ebt holders. god forbid people who work their **** off and aren't on welfare should get any such benefits.

@Tarponator said:

@Soda Popinski said:

Brilliant! Poor people shouldn't get to enjoy Coke, they should be drinking only Tropicana!

Cynicism aside, I find it curious how enthusiastic some are to take things away from those they look down upon.

I guess they haven't earned it yet and should all just try harder, right?

That's not how I feel at all. But I have worked at Winn Dixie and watched people come through with their EBT cards and buy nothing but junk food. And become grossly overweight. And have health issues. Now I'm not only paying for their food, i'm paying for the diabetes medication, and all the things that go along with obesity.

If someone is truly in trouble, then what is wrong with eating frugally? I was out of work for 10 months back in 2012 and I never qualified for EBT or unemployment either. We just suffered along on chicken/rice/pasta, and all the cheap food we could because that's what we could afford.

So speaking as someone who went through it, it infuriates me to see people abuse something that is supposed to go to help people who truly need it. Should we allow EBT cards to be used at fast food restaurants so people can enjoy a night out as well?

It's food. And when you can't afford it and the state has to step in, it should be basic food. If you want it to taste great, learn to cook. That's what i did.

@Bib said:

@Cyclist said:

@mustang190 said:

never heard of people selling food vouchers for .50c on the dollar? or trading them for cigs or booze?

and what pisses me off is places like farmers markets giving .50 on the dollar for ebt holders. god forbid people who work their **** off and aren't on welfare should get any such benefits.

What I think is ridiculous is that some people think that poverty is a day off from work with bon bons. It is anything but, and the people on snap work...likely several low paying jobs that make the wallmarts of the world rich. Ignorance is bliss.

• HeatwaveHeatwave Posts: 1,922 Captain

@toomer said:

Hilarious when I seen it yesterday. Logistical nightmare, delivery, how too ? Pick up ? Sorry, no car. and so on. The idea to save the money is good, but you cant be a millionaire or billionaire and think these things thru... Not everyone has a Butler to deliver food to them...
    I do get the point, and a lot of things do need cleaned up. But not to just put money in hands of friends, this is the real goal, not the one they pass off. Just like shutting down PBS, the point it to drive people to paid for TV by conservatives. If they could, they would just go full on plutocracy and call it a democracy. And the super libs would put a daisy in everyone's hair. Neither side wants to meet in the middle, that is the sad part for all of us.

• BibBib Posts: 2,327 Captain

@Cyclist said:

@Bib said:

@Cyclist said:

@mustang190 said:

What I think is ridiculous is that some people think that poverty is a day off from work with bon bons. It is anything but, and the people on snap work...likely several low paying jobs that make the wallmarts of the world rich. Ignorance is bliss.

you must be the happiest mf'er around.

@Tarponator said:
    What bothers me more is he's sincere.

Your **** right I’m sincere.
    The truth hurts, don’t it!

@Cyclist said:

@Bib said:

@Cyclist said:

@mustang190 said:

What you and others like tarponator fail to see is the abuse and fraud in the system. So what if there is abuse? As long as those doing it vote for the proper politicians?
    I notice that you lefties scream like stuck pigs when the need for government assistance starts to drop. I guess the more people who are dependent on handouts is a good thing??

• toomertoomer Posts: 308 Deckhand

Almost half of all recipients have kids in the house. Around a fifth are elderly and roughly the same amount are disabled (and may have kids home too). Only around a quarter are non-disabled adults in childless homes and they can only get 3 months worth.

But I get it. It makes me angry too to see all the junk food get bought with them. But the kids and the elderly need these benefits. And we the taxpayers need to be assured that it is done as cost effectively as possible.

• HeatwaveHeatwave Posts: 1,922 Captain

@Resinhead said:

@GA Fin said:

Cheese.
    Produce.
    Milk.
    Chicken.
    Tuna in the can.
    Rice.
    Bread.
    Dry beans.
    Peanut butter.

TOUCHDOWN!

Actually a great idea... I think everyone is sick of seeing people on food stamps, welfare, govt subsidies, and so on... Hopefully a well paying factory will be opening near them all soon.

Walmart might be the only store able to participate. Are they going to do it for free ? Can I buy the rice at the same price, or do I have to go to another isle and pay twice the amount ? All this is going to do is lead to more people on the streets, we will see yet another BIG depression, cant wait, I have a business idea all ready to go...

Or, we can send them a shirt with a bullseye on it, with every care package.

@toomer said:
    Almost half of all recipients have kids in the house. Around a fifth are elderly and roughly the same amount are disabled (and may have kids home too). Only around a quarter are non-disabled adults in childless homes and they can only get 3 months worth.

But I get it. It makes me angry too to see all the junk food get bought with them. But the kids and the elderly need these benefits. And we the taxpayers need to be assured that it is done as cost effectively as possible.

Your right. Those that actually need the help should get it especially if there’s kids involved.
    But how many times have you seen where the kids are malnourished and dirty but the so called parents were fat, stoned and happy??

edited February 14 #29

Fraud in the system is minimal. How come the right doesn't approach fraud by the super rich and the huge companies in the same way. SNAP fraud pails in comparison to say the medicare fraud perpetuated by rich scotts company. Fraud by poor people does not hit the typical tax payers pocket book like fraud by millionaires and billionaires.

There is a new study on why poor people eat junk food and feed it to their kids as opposed to wealthy people. It has everything to do with poor people having to say no to their kids. No to new shoes, no to disneyland, no to new toys. Junk food is the ONE thing poor people can say yes too, it is a psychological validation of their parenting, people hate deprive their kids of every little thing that could possibly bring them joy. Interesting thought.

• ResinheadResinhead Posts: 7,914 Admiral

We need to bring back the roll eyes emoticon

• toomertoomer Posts: 308 Deckhand

@mustang190 said:

@toomer said:

Your right. Those that actually need the help should get it especially if there’s kids involved.
    But how many times have you seen where the kids are malnourished and dirty but the so called parents were fat, stoned and happy??

I see it all the time. I work in high poverty schools. However, the libertarian in me says we do all we should do as a society by we providing those in need with the means to help themselves. If they f... it up then that is on them. But you cant legislate responsibility and it is a waste of time (and too often money) to try.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file