Inshore rods and reels..

ragincajun92ragincajun92 Posts: 391 Deckhand

Looking for some inshore rods and reels that want break the bank but are good quality. Also where are some good online stores to buy from? Tackle direct I’m not a real fan of as there website is kinda a pain to find what you are looking for.

Reelintension Go Pro Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/85stangbanger (plz like and subscribe)

Replies

• Nick NikonNick Nikon Posts: 1,621 Captain

Trout and slot Redfish, or over-slot Redfish and Snook?

"Inshore" covers a lot of territory.

Spinning or traditional casting?

What, if anything, are you replacing?

This is another alternative: www.tacklewarehouse.com

Another one is: https://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com

Bass Pro, Cabela's, Ebay, and Amazon also have tackle.

• fordmag84fordmag84 Posts: 37 Greenhorn

Support your local tackle shop, the advice you get from those guys is not only applicable to your specific area, it's worth more than you will save online. IMHO.

• SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 1,747 Captain

@fordmag84 said:
    Support your local tackle shop, the advice you get from those guys is not only applicable to your specific area, it's worth more than you will save online. IMHO.

This*^^
    Do you really want to buy a rod that you’ve never felt?

You should have been here yesterday
  • smooth movesmooth move Posts: 369 Deckhand

a lot of really good used stuff on these forums too. this one, 2 cool, pensacola fishing and many more. you won't be able to touch em till you buy em, so be sure you know what you're buying. i haven't bought a new reel in many years. i buy used rods also, but with them, i want to look em over pretty good.

le se' bon ton roulet
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 3,990 Moderator

@fordmag84 said:

X 2 or 3

• ragincajun92ragincajun92 Posts: 391 Deckhand

I’m all about buying local just looking for some recommendations on what’s good so I have a starting point. Looking for something to throw jigs and what not all day for trout,reds,flounder etc

Reelintension Go Pro Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/85stangbanger (plz like and subscribe)
  • GarysmoGarysmo Posts: 117 Deckhand

I'm with everyone else, its hard to beat the local shops. Take a look at the Daiwa BG series. They are nice reels at a good price. I have a couple and I like them a lot. As for rods there are a few that are pretty good. There was a recent thread on the subject you might want to check it out. A lot of people commented and there was some good feedback. One last comment, some people don't like buying combos but you could look at the Battle II combos. You can get a 2500 or 3000 series for about $110. Downside is they are a little heavier.

@ragincajun92 said:
    I’m all about buying local just looking for some recommendations on what’s good so I have a starting point. Looking for something to throw jigs and what not all day for trout,reds,flounder etc

Word, I didn't mean as an insult. Tackle Shops are a valuable commodity, I think people get caught up on price, and forget about value. I'm telling you find a good shop, if don't already have one, and you won't ever regret it. I've been going to the same shop, for as long as I can remember, I've learned a lot from the old and young salts that have and still work there. Tight lines.

• kellerclkellercl Posts: 895 Officer
    edited February 14 #10

I'm a personal fan of Crowder Salute or Crowder E-lite. I also personally like Shimano's Nasci. Whole package can be had for $200-$250, and it is really good gear.

edited February 14 #11

@kellercl said:
    I'm a personal fan of Crowder Salute or Crowder E-lite. I also personally like Shimano's Nasci. Whole package can be had for $200-$250, and it is really good gear.

I just bought a Nasci, and so far so good, been out twice so far, got a 21.5" trout and a snook just under slot, and a few fish not worth reporting. Thinking of stepping up and buying a Saltist next. Always had diawa and shimano, never had a problem worth either. Just retired my $35 diawa regal z after 15 years, and still going strong with my Shimano Spheros 4000, also 15 years old. Wish they still made the Spheros in a smaller size. Just remember diawa reels are a size up.

• Bassin AssassinBassin Assassin Posts: 1,200 Officer

What is your budget? I also just got a Shimano Nasci 3000 and I like it. You can go cheaper on the rod, but not on the reel imo. Nothing beats a good quality rod paired with a good quality reel.

Improve Our Fishery - Practice Catch and Release

I think I have found the combo I like. I went to strike zone in Jax fl and looked at a few things. I like the Daiwa BG reels and mojo inshore rods for spinning tackle. On my baitcast stuff I’m still undecided

BG's are solid, a little heavy, but solid. As far as what's more important, rod or reel, a reel's primary function is to retrieve line, a rod affects casting, fighting, and accuracy to a much greater extent. If you have a budget of $150, I would rather have a $120 rod and $30 reel, than the other way around.

Don't really know of any $30 reels or any worth buying. Can't see a $30 reel lasting very long either. A 7' Calico Jack casts pretty much the same as a 7' St. Croix Tidemaster. I have fished both. A H, MH, M etc. power rod are very similar across all brands. Accuracy in casting is mostly determined by the angler's ability and his hand/eye coordination. The length of the rod is also a factor in accuracy. A reel is much more important than a rod when fighting fish. It is all about the drag and the smoothness, especially when fighting a big fish.

• kellerclkellercl Posts: 895 Officer

$250 is my sweet spot. $100 reel and $150 rod is a great combo. Durability has never been an issue in that range. I have $250 combos that are 10 years old and work great.

@Bassin Assassin said:
    Don't really know of any $30 reels or any worth buying. Can't see a $30 reel lasting very long either. A 7' Calico Jack casts pretty much the same as a 7' St. Croix Tidemaster. I have fished both. A H, MH, M etc. power rod are very similar across all brands. Accuracy in casting is mostly determined by the angler's ability and his hand/eye coordination. The length of the rod is also a factor in accuracy. A reel is much more important than a rod when fighting fish. It is all about the drag and the smoothness, especially when fighting a big fish.

I had a 15 year old diawa regal z that I just recently retired. Reels don't give you leverage, the rod does. If you have 20lbs of drag, and have a 30lb fish on, the only thing stopping that fish is your hand and that rod. Last I checked, calicos go for a little more than $30.

@kellercl said:
    $250 is my sweet spot. $100 reel and $150 rod is a great combo. Durability has never been an issue in that range. I have $250 combos that are 10 years old and work great.

@kellercl said:

Yeah I don’t mean nd paying more if they hold up over time in salt

I don’t mind paying.

Rod power ratings are basically the same. Pay $150 for a Medium power Tidemaster or $50 for a Medium power CJ. The stopping power is the same. More important is the reel's quality of components, gear ratio, dragforce, line capacity, drag smoothness, amount of line retrieved per crank and number of bearings/roller bearings. If you know how to fight a fish, it doesn't matter if you are using a GLoomis or a broomstick with guides.

What are you guys thoughts on the lews inshore stuff including both there rods and reels. I also want to look into some Shimano Calcutta baitcast reels.

I'm sorry, I respectfully disagree

• Yeaaa_ChrisYeaaa_Chris Posts: 516 Officer

I’m in the camp that the rod is more important than the reel in most fishing situations. Most weekend warriors won’t wear out 70-100 dollar reels unless they are cranking the hell out of the reel with locked drag/braid.

But they will knock out the guide inserts and bend the guide frames on cheap rods. Not uncommon for cheap rods to have the reel seat come loose (have two ugly sticks in the shed with this problem.

The poster who said 250 bucks is a good price point for a quality combo is spot on. You can even get some solid stuff for a bit cheaper.

I think a reel is very important, but if I had low budget(150), I would splurge on the rod, and buy a cheaper reel. I would save up, and buy a better reel later. No doubt a $100 reel is better than a $30 reel, that wasn't my point. The difference between $30 rod and a $100, is far greater than the difference between a $30 reel and a $100 reel. Not to say I want a $30 reel. I tend to keep my combos around $250-300.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file