I thought Hydrilla didnt grow in okeechobee?

Replies

• N. CookN. Cook Posts: 1,791 Captain

If you had been at the meeting on Lake O aquatic plant management you would have heard that hydrilla does "grow" on Lake O from time to time and place to place...BUT...hydrilla comes and goes because of the water level changes that are occurring constantly on the Lake...Hydrilla is usually covered and killed by rising water levels before it can expand to large areas or "top out".....The major problems on Lake O are the floating exotics and those are constantly popping up and rapidly expanding creating the need for an almost full time operation to keep them under control....water levels have little or no effect on these floating plants which expand rapidly over wide areas. Spraying hydrilla is very rare and very localized when it does occur , perhaps near structures. I suggest you make the March 12 meeting, SFWMD WRAC Recreation Meeting, at the District offices in West Palm Beach on Gun Club Rd at 5 pm....the presentation on the Lake Plant Management will be repeated, with a chance to ask questions...

• binellishtrbinellishtr Posts: 7,149 Admiral

i've heard that record before, dont need U or the people getting paid to run the aquatic meeting to tell me again over n over what we already know. When that monkey starts to dance to the tune ill gladly jump in and join the party. Kind of like the last WRAC meeting when I informed Mr Mike about an email sent to me in from 20yrs ago, that had 11 yrs of pre history to it on the s12... but yet nothings been done about it but just a bunch of meetings w generations of people fighting over it

The Conclusion is an absolute classic, should be used at the next meeting as a reminder from 29 yrs ago

You have a problem with the S 12s ( I sure do!)...you are wasting your time harassing the SFWMD or FWC....The operation of the S 12s is ruled by the U. S. Dept. of Interior.....When have you directed your complaints to them?.....The one place you can look the DOI representative in the eye and let her/him know your position is at the SFWMD WRAC meetings on the First Thursday of each month.....Watch the videos and you will see me "raising cane" (pardon the sugar pun!) about the closures of the S 12s during rain events.... Blocking crucial flows south to drain the system.....I could use some Public Comments in support of getting the S 12s open during rain events....Your next chance to help is March 1 at 9 am....I will be there.

I think the last time I looked a DOI guy in the eye and expressed my concerns were at the big meeting at bass pro/ fishing hall of fame some 10 15 yrs ago.. myself and a room full of grown men and woman and children all did the same..he actually left the meeting because of the barrage of insults being made about his dept's fkups as well as ACOE. Maybe u remember that. But, I'm sure that high ranker isnt there anymore and the buck was passed to the next person. ...ooh ya, i forgot the last time was at the tamiami trail meeting when Bergeron got them all together, my memory is slipping I think U were there as well?

Bergeron has been the "savior" on at least three occasions, spearheading the need for a "special deviation" to allow the approx. 6000 cfs to go under the Trail when normally during Jan. to mid July, it would be a lot less.....However, even with his help (and he can because of his influence with Sen. Nelson and others) the deviation only moves ONE INCH a month out of WCA 3......does not make for any more room for water from the Lake (or any reservoirs)....And, yes, the players have all changed....a couple of times.....but the resistance to letting any meaningful amounts of water flow under the Trail remain...And a few of us fight that fight month after month at the meetings...and are opposed by the Feds and the BULLSUGARS and EVERGLADES TRUST, AUDUBON and other groups who have agendas that are not good for Lake O.....and/or want to treat ENP as Disneyland....never a flood, never a drought , never a fire...NEVER ANYTHING NATURAL.....just a man made movie set....Not going to change without a lot of folks willing to rattle the FEDERAL chains....

And NOT gonna change if the State officials dont join in on the rattling ..as you saw in the last WRAC when THEY get called out them clam up like a turtle head in a shell

Maybe at the next WRAC SFWMD can present the letters they have written to DOI

• godvlmangodvlman Posts: 229 Deckhand

@N. Cook said:
    If you had been at the meeting on Lake O aquatic plant management you would have heard that hydrilla does "grow" on Lake O from time to time and place to place...BUT...hydrilla comes and goes because of the water level changes that are occurring constantly on the Lake...Hydrilla is usually covered and killed by rising water levels before it can expand to large areas or "top out".....The major problems on Lake O are the floating exotics and those are constantly popping up and rapidly expanding creating the need for an almost full time operation to keep them under control....water levels have little or no effect on these floating plants which expand rapidly over wide areas. Spraying hydrilla is very rare and very localized when it does occur , perhaps near structures. I suggest you make the March 12 meeting, SFWMD WRAC Recreation Meeting, at the District offices in West Palm Beach on Gun Club Rd at 5 pm....the presentation on the Lake Plant Management will be repeated, with a chance to ask questions...

Newton,

Think about what you are saying.. So as history has shown the water in the Lake before and at the start of the season seems to always be higher than at the end of the season and as we go into summer, would you not agree?

I have sent to you and have posted countless pics of hydrilla (acres and acres as far as the naked eye could see) at the beginning of the season... Then as the water in the lake starts to drop and the spraying of invasives begins the hydrilla disappears. I have no reason to believe, with the exception of just a couple of occurrences for the last many of years that the RISE in water or changing in water levels is preventing the hydrilla from thriving on the lake.

As evidence Newton, I am sure you have seen this process in the STA's when the water levels drop over the season, and times water levels rising that the hydrilla does not die and disappear. As such, when water levels drop, the tops of the hydrilla may turn brown but it does not DIE and disappear. Unless some sort of chemical was applied to either kill it or the invasives sitting on top of it.

Newton, so if what they are saying is true, lets look at the KCOL for example where hydrilla is being eradicated to control it. With a meeting held on the subject as recently as last night. Should you not make the suggestion to save the thousands and thousands of dollars in chemicals and manpower that is utilized in spraying to just simply continuously raise or lower the water levels from lake to lake?? Why are they spraying if changing water levels solves the problem? Last time I checked the water levels in the KCOL fluctuated just like Lake O and yet hydrilla is still a continuous issue there??

with the list of signatures from the State of Fl representatives from SFWMD,FWC,and whatever other agency dabbles in this mess that has been going on for decades...not yrs, not days but decades.

Who here thinks the ultimate goal is to destroy the glades and make them water holding ponds as a sacrifice to urban living, similar to STA's

U give the exotics like lettuce/hyacinth open water full of N to proliferate and it does. I never saw Harney Pond fill in w water lettuce/hyacinth until after all the mats of hydrilla were gone. The removal of the filtering hydrilla allowed for other exotics to thrive on lake o. So in essence THEY have replaced one exotic for another,but hydrilla offers more by a longshot.

• godvlmangodvlman Posts: 229 Deckhand
    edited February 14 #13

No hydrilla allowed till it reaches the filtermarshes... makes no sense??

• mwkmwk Posts: 1 Greenhorn

Toho is held between 52 and 55 this was said at the meeting last night.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file