Irma, Withlacoochee state forest roads

shempshemp Posts: 435 Deckhand
edited February 12 in General Hunting #1

Drew Richloam for turkey opener. Haven't been there in a couple of years so hit it this weekend for some scouting. Most of the roads, except for the main ones, are completely jacked...even more than usual. I attribute this perhaps to Irma. There was a lot of downed timber. Another nearby tract has most roads obstructed by timber. Looks like what timber has been moved by equipment has left the roadways even more potholed and muddy than usual.

I could not get to 2 of usual go-to spots; it will be a crowded season unless I can get my hands on the wheel of El Toro Loco or something.

Anybody else notice that or see the same thing during gen gun, or am I being too sensitive? Didn't want to risk getting stuck in a 4WD SUV.

Replies

• doghunterdoghunter Posts: 396 Deckhand

Most locals that hunt Richloam have a dedicated hunting truck, as the roads can be terrible. During gun season we kept a chainsaw in camp and cleared roads as we needed to. It was very wet right after the hurricane, but the water was manageable during gum season. Just a week or so ago we got 3" of rain when a front moved through. With the woods a little wet already the woods are fairly wet now. I actually prefer it wet during turkey season. I have a lot less trouble getting away from people.

• shempshemp Posts: 435 Deckhand

Thanks for the intel; I usually prefer it wet as well but some of the roads had a dang moat in them though that was going to be 3' deep. Reckon I'll have to rethink a 4" lift and a snorkel for the future. If it dries up in the next several weeks that may change things a bit I reckon.

FWIW I heard no gobbles but saw a few tracks and a jake

• bgeorgebgeorge Plant City FLPosts: 1,200 Officer

Two years ago I walked a long way and waded many a hole down a road that the big trucks would have gone down. Thought I would try getting a little closer one morning and everything went black as my headlights in the suburban went under water and water rolled up over the hood and broke on the windshield. Was happy to park and walk the rest of the way. Sad part is I got buggered up twice by people jumping fences.

Problem with Richloam is that if you do not know the holes, some are dug out by people having fun and it will put you on the frame quick. Do not be fooled by small holes either. Warned my son when he first got his jeep. He and girlfriend went for a ride. He got out and walked through a hole. No problem. Drove the jeep in and hung. He did not call me but worked hard to get friend of girlfriend to come out. For some reason I do not believe he wanted to hear I told you so. Take a stick and feel the bottom side by side to see if there are deep ruts in it.

If you can not get to your honey holes I will be glad to wade in and check them out for you. Just let me know.

The man who moves a mountain begins by carrying away small stones. Hopefully the next man is not dropping his stones on the mountain you are trying to move.

Thanks; I have a long history of being the guinea pig having to wade out ahead of the truck. I don't mind swimming, but don't want to get stuck and always a bit fretful about walking a mile back only to have somebody in gravedigger come driving up and bust the area

One of my most memorable turkey hunts included chest waders for a 500 yard stretch. On the dry side I was about the only one back there. Killed one and had 3 gobble at my shot

Always figured the dog guys would spin out the start of a trail to give themselves a shot at being solo in a 500 acre block (nothing against deer doggers, nothing against the practice if it is what happens, but I assume I ain't making it through the mudhole in a 4runner w/ no lift)

• ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 8,198 Admiral

Most of the Citrus tract roads are tore up by either the jeep clubs or kids..

I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 4,656 Captain

It's them Bird Hunters with them Fancy Pointing Dogs. They go to drinkin that Brown Liquor at Lunch break...Socializing and Getting Right is was they call it....

Killin and Grillin :grin

@shemp said:
    Thanks; I have a long history of being the guinea pig having to wade out ahead of the truck. I don't mind swimming, but don't want to get stuck and always a bit fretful about walking a mile back only to have somebody in gravedigger come driving up and bust the area

One of my most memorable turkey hunts included chest waders for a 500 yard stretch. On the dry side I was about the only one back there. Killed one and had 3 gobble at my shot

Always figured the dog guys would spin out the start of a trail to give themselves a shot at being solo in a 500 acre block (nothing against deer doggers, nothing against the practice if it is what happens, but I assume I ain't making it through the mudhole in a 4runner w/ no lift)

It sure ain't the dog hunters. It's the kids and partiers drinking and spinning up everything. The last thing a dog hunter wants are bad roads that they have to drive everyday. When I was a kid, there would be deep water at times, but the roads weren't near as bad. It would suit the crap out of me to be able to hunt out of something smaller, and to not have to work on my truck all summer just to get it ready for next year. But the conditions do help me get away from people.

George is right, don't underestimate them holes, and just because that hole was fine on Friday, doesn't mean it will be fine on Monday. Especially if you have to drive that vehicle to work the next day. I probably pull out a dozen or so people a year, and that doesn't count the kids playing. They can call a tow truck $$$.

Reckon it's these guys:

i spent a good bit of Saturday afternoon helping a guy on dirtbike dig out. He was solo w/ no winch. Lucky I came along. Ratchet straps, a dock rope and a lot of heave hoing got him out

Note I had a chain but no come along...I would take one if I was willing to haul the truck in/out to get where I was going. I'm happy to walk or stick to where I can get

@shemp said:
    Reckon it's these guys:

dont't know if it was them or just some that drive like them.

@shemp said:
    Note I had a chain but no come along...I would take one if I was willing to haul the truck in/out to get where I was going. I'm happy to walk or stick to where I can get

usually the best plan.

• bgeorgebgeorge Plant City FLPosts: 1,200 Officer

Last turkey season when roosting one night I came up on some guys in a h3 hummer that had framed it out. Will admit they showed little knowledge by their approach to the crossing. Wedged themselves up against a exposed log. Just dumb. Took two trucks to pop them out. Money can by you a truck but not brains. On another morning going in found three guys that had walked a long way due to getting stuck. Offered to help but they said I would need 44's to get anywhere near them. Way out of my league. I do know they have ticketed people over the years for tearing up the woods but LE is far and few between.

The man who moves a mountain begins by carrying away small stones. Hopefully the next man is not dropping his stones on the mountain you are trying to move.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file