Anyone remember the old nutria thread from the early 2000's?

psilverspsilvers Posts: 8 Greenhorn

For the old timers here, I thought this would be interesting.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/nov/18/hot-rat-is-so-hot-right-now-moscow-falls-for-the-rodent-burger

In the old thread a guy (Johnny Redneck?) posted a thread about trapping a nutria and preparing it. It was a riot! It must have been about 2002 or thereabouts.

Pete

Replies

• psilverspsilvers Posts: 8 Greenhorn

I see I actually have 4 posts. It has been forever since I have been on this forum!

• pjepje Orlando , FlPosts: 246 Deckhand

I remember that , I had never heard of Nutria's before that thread .

• frankfrank Posts: 12,231 AG
    edited February 12 #4

yep, the the trout slaying table cloth displaying Cajun schooled us all, but wasn't that in the '90s?

No political signature
  • Florida Ex-patFlorida Ex-pat Posts: 177 Deckhand

They are showing up out here in California.

@frank said:
    yep, the the trout slaying table cloth displaying Cajun schooled us all, but wasn't that in the '90s?

I think it was in the early 2000's because I remember where I worked when I saw it. Does anyone know if that thread is archived anywhere? It was a riot!

Pete

• pjepje Orlando , FlPosts: 246 Deckhand
    edited February 12 #7

It was in the 2000's , I barely remember the late 90's , when FS was like a bulletin board . Back in the days of dial up lol

• SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 3,203 Captain

@pje said:
    It was in the 2000's , I barely remember the late 90's , when FS was like a bulletin board . Back in the days of dial up lol

Took all night to make 2 post.

• BeeracudaBeeracuda Posts: 237 Deckhand

I remember it well.....those were some fun times.

• wahoowacker01wahoowacker01 Posts: 1,163 Officer

Best Fish?

• ResinheadResinhead Posts: 7,976 Admiral

@wahoowacker01 said:
    Best Fish?

Yup. He single-handedly reduced the trout population in LA.

I remember, Bryan? could flat out catch Trout.

i remember when some folks gave him a hard time because they didn't understand that florida regs didn't apply to him and he'd catch up a mess of fish for neighborhood fish fry's, he was a hoot
    back before rooty got religion i thought she'd try to steal him away from his wife, chuckle

No political signature

Yep that’s one reason he stopped posting.

here's where LOB tried to revive the thread in 2009
    http://archives.floridasportsman.com/index.php/topic,510498.0.html

No political signature
  • SAENoleSAENole Posts: 9,507 Admiral

That was a really great thread........back in the days before Gary screwed everything up.

I may be entitled to compensation.
  • mindyabinessmindyabiness Posts: 3,298 Captain

@SAENole said:
    That was a really great thread........back in the days before Gary screwed everything up.

Gary seemed to have his way with not only the submissive majority, but also the more assertive, yet fewer, arrogant intellectuals here now and at the time.
    Do you think that was a function of his superior intellect, or because he was the better man...or both?

Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway. nj
  • dave44dave44 Posts: 6,288 Admiral

If Gary wasn’t a moderator he would have been roundly mocked and laughed at. He did like to show he had authority.

He was a perfect cartman.

• ResinheadResinhead Posts: 7,976 Admiral

@dave44 said:
    If Gary wasn’t a moderator he would have been roundly mocked and laughed at. He did like to show he had authority.

He was a perfect cartman.

This is proven by his absence after they stripped his mod status, again. He knows if he showed his face around here without that moderator badge he'd be pummeled.

Gary was a good guy that did a lot to grow the forum and contribute to it in a positive manner
    He championed recreational fishing rights on the forum and in the real world
    He did call out posters he saw contributing to the sleazy side of the forum which rubbed many the wrong way

No political signature

I haven't been on here in a loooonnnnggg time! Sorry, I didn't mean to dredge up old fights!

Pete

• SAENoleSAENole Posts: 9,507 Admiral

I may be entitled to compensation.
  • JohnnyBanditJohnnyBandit Posts: 8,131 Admiral

@psilvers said:
    For the old timers here, I thought this would be interesting.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/nov/18/hot-rat-is-so-hot-right-now-moscow-falls-for-the-rodent-burger

In the old thread a guy (Johnny Redneck?) posted a thread about trapping a nutria and preparing it. It was a riot! It must have been about 2002 or thereabouts.

Pete

The guy was Johnny Bandit.... I trapped one in a pond near my house with my then stepson....

We ate it.....

My apologies Johnny Bandit! I really enjoyed that thread - it was the MOST memorable thread on the forum!

Best,
    Pete

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file