Tying surf rigs

12"+ of snow in the last 3 days and another snow day has me thinking warm thoughts and checking gear for another trip to the beaches of SGI!

Have purchased pompano rigs for years but will tie up a few of my own this year.

Question: I saw a pic online of someone surf fishing and it looked like they had 4-5 hooks on their line. Does FL have a limit on hooks/line? (MI it's 2)

Plan to use 25# fluorocarbon leader material and 2/0 and 3/0 circle hooks.

Replies

• ferris1248ferris1248 North GeorgiaPosts: 13,551 Moderator

I do not know anything about that but hopefully some others do. It does sound like good weather to stay indoors and create some fishing rigs. :)

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)
  • stc1993stc1993 Posts: 4,199 Captain

The only one I know of is flounder fishing. Multiple hooks are prohibited. Don't know of any others.

• skyway andeskyway ande Posts: 2,653 Captain

Tie on the # of hooks that are manageable. Most people go with 2 hooks.
    I wouldn't run 5 hooks simply due to tangles... I don't really care for Sabiki with 8 hooks. I prefer to cut them down.

God, save the South!
  • Nick NikonNick Nikon Posts: 1,608 Captain

Two hooks are plenty.

Attach them with the point facing down.

O/1 and 0/2 are a bit large for Pompano.

Try size 1 & 2 Gamakatsu Octopus Circle hooks.

Put shrimp Fishbites on the upper, and sand-flea on the lower.

I pre-cut the pieces, and then poke holes in them.

Makes it easier to bait up, and won't dull the hook.

Florida prohibits multiple point hooks for live, frozen, or cut bait.

That means No treble hooks for shrimp, or any natural bait.

• GANDERGANDER Posts: 298 Deckhand

Thanks Nick. Wasn't aware of the treble hook restriction. We've had good success on pompano with the 2/0 rigs. Most seem to get around the lower jaw and stay there. Do the smaller circle hooks do that or lodge in the flesh in the corner of the mouth?

Only recall losing a couple pompano over the years--always when they turned to run when bumping their belly at the break just before coming into the beach! One of those was on a long shank Aberdeen hook.

• conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 3,225 Captain
    edited February 12 #7

Look on U tube for some videos of our forum member, Pompano man (Larry Finch). He has some great stuff on the tube related to your inquiry.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• Nick NikonNick Nikon Posts: 1,608 Captain

@GANDER said:
    We've had good success on pompano with the 2/0 rigs. Most seem to get around the lower jaw and stay there. Do the smaller circle hooks do that or lodge in the flesh in the corner of the mouth?

Haven't noticed any particular hook position.

Just happy to avoid deep hooking any of them.

( Haven't used a disgorger since circle hooks appeared. )

Many of the commercial Pomp rigs do use 1/0 or larger hooks.

Bigger hooks lend themselves to fishing with Shrimp ... they fit.

We'd probably use 2/0 only if Redfish were in the 1st trough.

• ferris1248ferris1248 North GeorgiaPosts: 13,551 Moderator

For y'all surf guys, there's an fount of info about fishing on foot over here also.

http://forums.floridasportsman.com/categories/angler-on-foot

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)
  • GANDERGANDER Posts: 298 Deckhand

Thanks for the links guys.

We've used the 2/0 commercial rigs w raw full or 1/2 shrimp and also the fish bites. Sand fleas when we can find them. Most years they are barely around and small if we find any. A local next door a few years back gave me some nice ones he got over on Alligator Point. He used the commercially available rigs only.

Wanted to tie a few of my own with other float colors/bear combos to see if something else works!

38 days...but who's counting!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file