Replies

• GRSCGRSC Posts: 931 Officer

Marlin

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • flknifemakerflknifemaker Posts: 102 Deckhand

...another marlin

• CoastalCatchCoastalCatch Posts: 170 Deckhand

And not one PFD visible... :s

'The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.' ~ George Orwell

• JIMinPBJIMinPB Posts: 1,875 Captain

I would not be surprised to see enhanced safety equipment enforcement in the wake of these incidents. It's probably a good time to check that all your gear is correct to the letter of the law.

• OwlseyOwlsey Posts: 281 Deckhand

Oh they probably had PFD's. They where safely stored away in a closed chamber ,deep in the hull of the boat, where they aren't a "problem".No one expects an accident. Have your PFD's accessible !!!

• Tori'S ToyTori'S Toy Posts: 263 Deckhand

@Owlsey said:
    Oh they probably had PFD's. They where safely stored away in a closed chamber ,deep in the hull of the boat, where they aren't a "problem".No one expects an accident. Have your PFD's accessible !!!

We were out yesterday "3 miles east of inlet". It was sporty. I could see if they were trolling N/S or drifting with the boat pointed N/S and the guys are on one side of the boat were it could have rolled. The waves were big enough and close together under some circumstance they could roll it. If that's the case, there probably wouldn't be enough time to access life jacket.they should have had them on before leaving ICW.

attachment.php?attachmentid=230307&d=1483582365
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 7,697 Admiral

@Owlsey said:

watched the video of that boat last year that came into the inlet overloaded and sank in 10 seconds. the one that was filmed by the drone.

we keep em stowed as well most of the time, but the class 5 throwable is always out, and the PFDs are usually snapped to the bimini if it's up and we're going out of an inlet. I don't always have em out in the bay, but i probably should.

People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • ResinheadResinhead Posts: 8,858 Admiral

Any Mahi swimming around under them?

On my bayboat, my front casting platform had a hatch cover on the front so you can access the area below. I removed the hatch and cut the opening larger and trimmed it in starboard. The hatch area is now a large open area and all my pfd's are right there in sight. I keep a cooler in front of the opening but you can easily reach behind and grab one if needed. Hopefully never will.

Since having my knees replaced a few years ago, I wear a PDF 98% of the time I'm on the ocean.only times I don't would be perfectly flat summer seas and hot. I recently made an unscheduled exit out of a sailboat. If I hadn't had the PDF on, I would not have had time to look for it and grab it.

• GarysmoGarysmo Posts: 255 Deckhand

@Owlsey said:

My wife and I have stared wearing the offshore inflatables when we head off shore. So far I have to say they are very comfortable. Like some of the others once we get out to fishing areas and it is real flat I'll take mine off and then put it back on for the ride in. If it's rough I'll keep it on.

According to WPEC12 tonight, they had life jackets in center console but boat flipped and they couldn't get them.
    Of course, if they are worn to begin with........

US Coast Guard member talks about the risky rescue of 5 boaters near Lake Worth
    LAKE WORTH, Fla. (CBS12) — A risky save with five lives on the line.

Curren O’Grady was one of several U.S. Coast Guard members who saved five boaters near the Lake Worth Inlet.

O'Grady makes the save sound easy, but it wasn’t.

“ We just got me off and got ‘em home,” he said.

His Coast Guard Unit had to save five people from a 26-foot boat that capsized.

“ I saw the black bottom of the hole sitting on top of the water and 5 guys sitting on top of it holding each other trying not to fall off,”

His crew had to wrestle waves as high as 6 feet to get to them.

To make matters worse, none of the victims had on a life jacket.

“Their life jackets were all in the cutting cabin," O'Grady said. "So when they flipped, none of them had time to get hold of a life jacket."

So when O’Grady and his crew spotted the boat, they knew they had to act quickly.

“Since the waves were so rough and it was shaking back and forth, we decided it would be safer to use an even line bag throw a line to them and get them ,” he said.

One by one, he lifted all five to safety.

“They got very lucky their cell phones were working because when they flipped, they didn’t have the flares readily available,” O’Grady said.

All of the victims are OK. The U.S. Coast Guard says they were visiting the area.

U.S. Coast Guard officials say to avoid a situation like this, be sure to listen to channel 12 on your VHF and make sure your life jackets are easily accessible.

http://cbs12.com/news/local/us-coast-guard-member-talks-about-the-risky-rescue-of-5-boaters-near-lake-worth

• JIMinPBJIMinPB Posts: 1,875 Captain

@Tori'S Toy said:

“ I saw the black bottom of the hole sitting on top of the water and 5 guys sitting on top of it holding each other trying not to fall off,”

“Their life jackets were all in the cutting cabin," O'Grady said.

U.S. Coast Guard officials say to avoid a situation like this, be sure to listen to channel 12 on your VHF

http://cbs12.com/news/local/us-coast-guard-member-talks-about-the-risky-rescue-of-5-boaters-near-lake-worth

Wow, talk about shoddy reporting
    hull = hole?
    cuddy = cutting?
    VHF16 =VHF12?

What next? Claims that they were attacked by an alligator with an AK-16 who tried to hijack them to Iowa?

LOL

make sure your life jackets are easily accessible

Guess being stored in the "cutting" cabin wasn't very accessible

@Tori'S Toy said:
    According to WPEC12 tonight, they had life jackets in center console but boat flipped and they couldn't get them.
    Of course, if they are worn to begin with........

Is that like leaving your condom in your trousers that you threw on the floor before doing that hot number you met at the bar 5 minutes earlier? Just wondering!

'The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.' ~ George Orwell

• MakoLogicMakoLogic Posts: 569 Officer

probably the same great reporter that believed that a marlin can sink a boat...

I always see everyone criticize about the lifejackets when these things happen, but truthfully, how many of us really have them somewhere we can get to them if you end up upside down before you can get them. Funny, i'd say less than 1% of the pics you see of everyone on here are wearing one. Strapped inside the t-top would be pretty tough to get to in 5 foot seas, bout bouncing up and down if it happened too quickly. I'm guilty, and looking for a good solution on my boat. Mine have always been in a hatch up front, but if I were upside down, they'd be pretty tough to get out.

Fisherman, outdoors enthusiast, and software geek (not necessarily in that order, depending on the day)
    www.makologic.com
    patrick@makologic.com

Formerly TxToFl...

Old one..was too heavy..meant for circumnavigating.

Newer one with PLB in little bag attached

• OwlseyOwlsey Posts: 281 Deckhand

With the amount of money every boater wastes each year on unneeded stuff, invest in the best PFD you can afford. Buy a couple for your friend who are boaters for Christmas. Look on it as an investment. Accidents never give warnings. If you're too macho to wear them all the time, at least wear them going in and out of the inlets. I don't have the stats, but I'm willing to bet most accidents/errors occur in the inlets. Heck, I wear one when I walleye fish on the Detroit River. Accidents happen.

edited February 13 #20

Bought my brother one for Xmas to replace above gray/black one that was activated when I bailed from the sailboat. It was older and turns out it had an unfixable leak in it.
    West Marine had a great sale on them for Black Friday

@Owlsey said:
    With the amount of money every boater wastes each year on unneeded stuff, invest in the best PFD you can afford. Buy a couple for your friend who are boaters for Christmas. Look on it as an investment. Accidents never give warnings. If you're too macho to wear them all the time, at least wear them going in and out of the inlets. I don't have the stats, but I'm willing to bet most accidents/errors occur in the inlets. Heck, I wear one when I walleye fish on the Detroit River. Accidents happen.

Especially navigating inlets in the dark on an outgoing tide, into a easterly, heading for your favorite gog spot!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file