Zero oil pressure at idle

cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 23,068 AG

My 07 Ram had the check engine light come on. Then the oil pressure went to zero. Give it a little gas and oil pressure back to normal
Anyways, towing it into Dodge on Monday to see what is wrong and let them fix it under the warranty. The online forums say the sensor is likely the issue, but would hate to try and drive it and ruin the motor.
Glad I was at home when it happened. Now I have to ride the scooter for a few days and there is rain predicted Monday.

Mini Mart Magnate

Replies

• ResinheadResinhead Posts: 7,976 Admiral

Don't forget the jorts and wife beater!

Go GATA!

• dave44dave44 Posts: 6,288 Admiral

Thanks for showing me what “jorts “ looked like. I’m surprised people wear those. They don’t seem to make a good statement

• ResinheadResinhead Posts: 7,976 Admiral
    edited February 11 #4

They do in Hogtown! :D

• bottom feederbottom feeder Posts: 843 Officer

You have warranty on a 11 year old truck?

Leaving Florida... take a developer with you!

• mindyabinessmindyabiness Posts: 3,298 Captain

Is the oil pressure sending unit covered?
    I doubt it.
    Might have been better to replace it first and skip the dealer.

Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway. nj
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 23,068 AG

@bottom feeder said:
    You have warranty on a 11 year old truck?

yep, It was in 2007 that Dodge offered the lifetime bumper to bumper warranty to try and sell trucks when gas was over $4 a gallon.

@mindyabiness said:
    Is the oil pressure sending unit covered?
    I doubt it.
    Might have been better to replace it first and skip the dealer.

It is supposed to cover it, but there is a $100 copay on the warranty, so I doubt the repair will be that much if it is the valve. I let the dealer handle all the repairs and maintenance. That way I am covered when I need the new engine or transmission at 200,000 miles or so.

Mini Mart Magnate

• AC ManAC Man Posts: 3,375 Captain

I had one Dodge/Cummins. It was a 2004 and the **** oil pressure gauge went all the way down at idle then to normal when you gave it the throttle. Forums all said it was just the way they calibrated the gauge and they all were like that. Not saing that is your case.

• ScoutboatScoutboat Posts: 1,582 Captain

Four bad things with a low oil pressure warning.
    The pressure gauge is defective, the pressure sending unit is shot, the oil pump is worn, or the main crankshaft bearings are worn.
    Good lucK!!

• stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 4,216 Captain

Mine did that when it was 6-7 yrs old it was just the pressure sending unit. Didn't take them no time to fix it after it cooled down so they could work on it. We were out of town on vacation too.

• Cane PoleCane Pole Stuart, FLAPosts: 9,563 Admiral

My 2003 F150 oil guage just started doing that. Rather annoying.

• 1outlaw1outlaw Naples FLPosts: 508 Officer

What motor?

Jason :USA
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 6,786 Admiral

That warranty is bananas. Never sell that truck!

People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.

@Soda Popinski said:

The dealer already knows I will never get r> @Soda Popinski said:

That warranty is bananas. Never sell that truck

The dealer already knows I will never get rid of the truck. The only two tricks are keeping up with the service schedule by the manual and it has to be inspected by the dealer ever 5 years or 60,000 miles. You have a 60 days and 10,000 mile window.

as long as you follow that you are good forever. It even included free rental for the first ten years.

The dealer has tried three times to get me to trade it in so far. I had it in for service and they had to keep it overnight, They loaned me a new demo truck to drive home and then kept asking how I liked it and how much my trade was worth. I told them that was the last truck I would own.

Mini Mart Magnate

edited February 12 #15

@1outlaw said:
    What motor?

Hemi.
    I should know tomorrow what the problem is. the tow truck driver even said it was likely a sensor. I told him the tow didn't cost me anything so why risk it. He seemed annoyed.

Mini Mart Magnate

@cadman said:

@Soda Popinski said:

The dealer already knows I will never get rid of the truck. The only two tricks are keeping up with the service schedule by the manual and it has to be inspected by the dealer ever 5 years or 60,000 miles. You have a 60 days and 10,000 mile window.

as long as you follow that you are good forever. It even included free rental for the first ten years.

The dealer has tried three times to get me to trade it in so far. I had it in for service and they had to keep it overnight, They loaned me a new demo truck to drive home and then kept asking how I liked it and how much my trade was worth. I told them that was the last truck I would own.

haha awesome. Have you seen the 2019s? I know you'll never buy one but they look pretty good.

People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.

@Soda Popinski said:

@cadman said:

@Soda Popinski said:

haha awesome. Have you seen the 2019s? I know you'll never buy one but they look pretty good.

i see the new trucks every time i take the truck in, If I win the lottery so something I would get the Ram Rebel.TRX

https://www.ramtrucks.com/en/limited-editions/ram-1500/rebel-trx/

Estimated price is about $90,000.

Mini Mart Magnate

edited February 12 #18

That's an awesome truck. Yeah i'd have to win the powerball for that bad boy. Even then, IDK if I'd buy it. Probably just get a Ram 2500 with the 6cyl diesel to haul toys and go hunting with.

You know I thought they would have put the hellcat motor in that truck instead of a 6.2 hemi. 575hp is good, i mean it's 200 more than my hemi with 383, but for 90 grand....I'd want a hellcat motor.

edited February 12 #19

@Soda Popinski said:
    That's an awesome truck. Yeah i'd have to win the powerball for that bad boy. Even then, IDK if I'd buy it. Probably just get a Ram 2500 with the 6cyl diesel to haul toys and go hunting with.

You know I thought they would have put the hellcat motor in that truck instead of a 6.2 hemi. 575hp is good, i mean it's 200 more than my hemi with 383, but for 90 grand....I'd want a hellcat motor.

the 6.2 is the hellcat. They just tuned down the horsepower. Dodge is rumored to be working on releasing a 707hp Rebel in 2020 or 2021 as an option.

Dodge has also stuck the hellcat in a Jeep.

Mini Mart Magnate

They fixed it fast. It was the oil pressure switch and cost me $90.

Mini Mart Magnate

@cadman said:

@Soda Popinski said:

the 6.2 is the hellcat. They just tuned down the horsepower. Dodge is rumored to be working on releasing a 707hp Rebel in 2020 or 2021 as an option.

Dodge has also stuck the hellcat in a Jeep.

I saw that. AWD, that's a bad grocery getter. That would be the wife's car if I had the money.

• Buford CletusBuford Cletus Posts: 1,701 Captain

Hey Cad just curious if at some point maintaining the manufacturers required maintenance at some point outweighs the value of the warranty?

@Buford Cletus said:
    Hey Cad just curious if at some point maintaining the manufacturers required maintenance at some point outweighs the value of the warranty?

I would think never, when you factor in what a new truck loan would cost you per month. The new ones are 35-40 grand so figure $500 a month. I don't think he'll ever get close to 6,000 dollars a year in manufacturer's maintenence. and if that truck ever throws a rod or the transmission goes, he gets a brand new one. Ball joints, u joints, brake rotors, calipers, air conditioning, radiator. Eventually when all that stuff fails and he gets it replaced for free he'll have a new truck for the cost of maintenance.

edited February 13 #24

@Buford Cletus said:

Well, when I dropped $1000 on changing the transmission, transfer case, and differential fluids, plus changing 16 spark plugs, etc at 60,000 miles it was a bit of a shock.

But the average is about $500 a year in maintenance costs, maybe,

My guess is, most vehicles would last a lot longer if we followed the maintenance schedule.

Mini Mart Magnate

• mustang190mustang190 Posts: 8,448 Admiral

@cadman said:

@Buford Cletus said:

Well, when I dropped $1000 on changing the transmission, transfer case, and differential fluids, plus changing 16 spark plugs, etc at 60,000 miles it was a bit of a shock.

But the average is about $500 a year in maintenance costs, maybe,

My guess is, most vehicles would last a lot longer if we followed the maintenance schedule.

Or don’t treat a 1/2ton pickup like it’s a Mack truck!

2013 Pathfinder 22 TE , 150 Yamaha,
  • Knight9598Knight9598 MrrayPosts: 6 Greenhorn

@Soda Popinski said:

LOL))

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file