fishing w/ 3 yr old

IS IT SLOTIS IT SLOT Posts: 187 Deckhand

i`m guessing. . . dock and shrimp see where goes from there.

Replies

• ResinheadResinhead Posts: 7,961 Admiral

Both my boys started very young. The key with mine was let them do what they want and stop when they want. We'd fish a little, anchor up, swim and snorkle. Eat lunch. Let them be the boss.

Mine are 21 and 16 now and both love the water and boating lifestyle. My 21 year old wants our bayboat when he gets out of college and most likely will get it.

Gives me an excuse for a new ride. ;)

• MonelloMonello Posts: 46 Greenhorn

A small pond that has a nice population of bluegill will hold their interest.

• Bite 1Bite 1 Posts: 478 Deckhand

Big Boy pants and 'gills makes them feel fine

• snookaffinitysnookaffinity Naples, FLPosts: 927 Officer

@Resinhead said:
    Both my boys started very young. The key with mine was let them do what they want and stop when they want. We'd fish a little, anchor up, swim and snorkle. Eat lunch. Let them be the boss.

Mine are 21 and 16 now and both love the water and boating lifestyle. My 21 year old wants our bayboat when he gets out of college and most likely will get it.

Gives me an excuse for a new ride. ;)

Did the same with my grand kids and they are grown, both love fishing and all outdoor activities.

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
  • Nick NikonNick Nikon Posts: 1,619 Captain
    edited February 10 #6

... #1 ... a well timed nap.

... #2 ... a life vest that fits.

... #3 ... a bobber under bait.

The beauty of the bobber is that it doesn't require constant attention.

• lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 2,696 Captain

Great suggestions all... I tell parents that if they're bringing young kids to schedule much shorter trips than usual and when they're aboard I make a point of allowing young kids to play with the fish in the live well among other tricks... Any fish on the line is a treat for young-uns so I also make a point of telling them a bit about each specie we come across - it's my favorite classroom...

With young'uns aboard I give up targeting big fish and concentrate on action - for anything that will bite... Those first trips will determine whether you raise a young fisherman (or lady...) or have kids that think fishing is something to be avoided....

With our grandkids aboard we've also done a bit of wading and shelling along the way (and I try my best to avoid bad weather -had some failures in that department over the years) - so I always try to avoid getting caught in sudden bad weather situations with kids aboard if at all possible....

Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • fordmag84fordmag84 Posts: 36 Greenhorn

Shrimp and a poppin' cork, gives them something to do, and everything eats shrimp.

• hardwayhardway Posts: 109 Deckhand

Started my girls when they where very young, Two out of three, still do it and the third, once in a while, Capt, George the voice of experience

• GarysmoGarysmo Posts: 115 Deckhand

I started my boys early. We used the little kid rods and fished with a float. My middle guy was about 3 and loved to cast so I took a lure and cut the hook off so he could cast...worked well until he figured out he didn't have a hook :). Once they got the hang of it they would fish a rubber worm and cast under the docks for bass. Big thing was they knew that the first thing they did was put on their PFD!!! Have fun and enjoy

• IS IT SLOTIS IT SLOT Posts: 187 Deckhand

hmm hookless plug. . . .

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file