Blackwater sound / canal fishing tips, first time UK visitor.

1961sismith1961sismith AylesburyPosts: 2 Greenhorn

Hi.

My two brothers and I are coming over from the UK at the end of February for a couple of weeks fishing, our first trip to the Keys so we are all complete greenhorns when it comes to local fishing know how.

We will be chartering boats during the days but have rented a house on a canal (Paradise Point, Blackwater Sound area) and are looking for some local knowledge of what methods/types of lure/baits etc would be best to use for the canal when we are at the house?
Any info we can get beforehand would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Simon

Replies

• smooth movesmooth move Posts: 369 Deckhand

you guys are going to have a blast! if you use a guide a few times he will give you all the education you need. a few years ago, we drove with our 22' boat to the keys and rented a house on Sugarloaf Key for a week. we fished the Atlantic some days and the Gulf some days. fished reefs, breakwaters, mangroves and cuts. caught all kinds of fish from pompano to reds to sharks. absolutely the best vacation ever. you're in for a treat! we used light weight spincast rigs off the dock at the house and caught mangrove snapper and small barracuda almost at will. we had about a 25 lb grouper under our dock and a huge lobster was there one day. we were throwing soft plastic shrimp type baits on jigheads and paddle tail swim baits. good luck and be sure to post up while there.

le se' bon ton roulet
  • 1961sismith1961sismith AylesburyPosts: 2 Greenhorn

Thanks Smooth Move, we have a selection of soft plastic lures to take but these are designed for UK freshwater fish like pike & perch so looks like shrimp are on our shopping list. I'm sure it will be one helluva time for us.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file