Extreme Kayak Fishing Tournament Sailfish Smackdown February 10th-11th

It is not too late to sign up. It is going to be sporty out there. Even if you are not participating, one can win some cool kayak gear in the raffle tonight at the Captain's meeting at Bru's room from 5-8 pm tonight.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Bru's+Room+Sports+Grill/@26.2290851,-80.1053809,1016m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x88d902834215af5f:0xeaba39413ad2c3ae!8m2!3d26.2290803!4d-80.1031922

https://www.extremekayakfishingtournament.org/winnings.html

Good luck to all that are participating !

https://www.extremekayakfishingtournament.org/sailfish-schedule.html

Replies

• jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,248 Moderator

Good luck to all participants.
    I'm sitting this one out. I could make an excuse about busy schedule, but truth is, I just never have good luck with Sailfish lol

Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 1,479 Officer

A lot of no shows, odds are up fewer anglers going after the same amount of awards, and weather is moderating.

edited February 12 #4

I heard it was quite a challenging event.
    Congrats to the winners:
    1st place went to Jacksonville angler Franco Natividad
    2nd place went to one of our local boys Rob Rodriguez
    3rd place went to Texas angler Erik D'aloise
    Kingfish Calcutta winner: Benny Scoca
    Dolphin Calcutta winner: Brian Nelli

• fordmag84fordmag84 Bradenton, Fl Posts: 89 Greenhorn

Any advice on any online inshore tournaments? Never done one, have no idea where to look.

@fordmag84 said:
    Any advice on any online inshore tournaments? Never done one, have no idea where to look.

I can't speak to the inshore tournaments since I rarely fish inshore, but if its online tournaments you want, you probably want to check out: https://www.kayakwars.com/

Unlike the online tournaments, I find the Extreme Kayak Fishing Tournaments to be much more exciting and the potential for payout is huge, but of course, you have to be local or willing to travel here to catch one of the events (so worth it!).

Thanks, jcanracer

• krashkrash Posts: 551 Officer

@fordmag84 said:

If you are in the Tampa area.. the HardCoreKAC guys have this series going on...

Old Fugger who just likes to fish

Thanks, krash

@jcanracer said:
    Good luck to all participants.
    I'm sitting this one out. I could make an excuse about busy schedule, but truth is, I just never have good luck with Sailfish lol

Hind sight, You did well to sit this one out, I got smacked down at the sailfish smackdown.

@jcanracer said:
    I heard it was quite a challenging event.
    Congrats to the winners:
    1st place went to Jacksonville angler Franco Natividad
    2nd place went to one of our local boys Rob Rodriguez
    3rd place went to Texas angler Erik D'aloise
    Kingfish Calcutta winner: Benny Scoca
    Dolphin Calcutta winner: Brian Nelli

Congratulations to all the winners ! That is the third time that Rob Rodriguez has taken second place. He is well positioned to take the championship in this series.

I still can't believe you flipped John. If a pro like you had trouble, I'm certain I wouldn't have made it past the first breaker either.

• SpineymanSpineyman Posts: 7,591 Admiral

Oh heck no. I'll stick to inshore, thanks.

Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!
    II Chronicles 7:14

if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

@jcanracer said:
    I still can't believe you flipped John. If a pro like you had trouble, I'm certain I wouldn't have made it past the first breaker either.

I was overconfident going out, and did not take as many precautions as I should have. When the weather is bad, gear should be down-scaled. I should have gone with the 8 gallon live well instead of the 11, plus a lot of other extra stuff. Day 2 was just too rough for a pro angler. In weather that rough, a kayak with a pointed bow and stern are optimal. On day 1 there were occasional waves that caught the square end of my PA, nearly jack knifing me as the bow was nearly buried by the waves quickly pushing me down the swells.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file