Red Snapper inside of 3 Miles?

canubeatme68canubeatme68 Posts: 8 Greenhorn

What is the law on this topic? Got a few rock piles that we Sheephead fish on inside of 3 miles that we have been catching small RS
on. Just wanting to know the law for inside of 3 miles here on the East coast?

Replies

• oldbigbucksoldbigbucks Posts: 144 Deckhand

20 inch minimum, two per harvester, open year-round...Not many legal size in state waters but a few big ones are caught each year off the southeast coast.

• canubeatme68canubeatme68 Posts: 8 Greenhorn

Forgot to ask what if they say you didn't catch it withing the three miles. GPS track tells the tale but, there the ones with the ticket book!

• Rich MRich M Posts: 886 Officer
    edited February 9 #4

It is crazy that we have 2 different regulations for many fish. I'm looking at fishing mangroves in FEDERAL waters this year - limit is 10 vs 5 in state waters. I just need to travel straight from the ramp to federal waters to fish. If I stop in state waters, I can't keep 10 but can only keep 5.

Clear your old GPS tracks and only have the current one on there - stay inside 3 miles that day and you're golden. If I could go out and catch a bunch of sheeps along with some snapper, I'd be all over it.

Another thing to do is to keep your mouth and cooler shut - many folks who see or hear about red snapper being kept will report you and then you'll have to fight prejudice instilled in the LEO.

If you just get stopped, then show the lone track on the GPS and point to the hard copy of the regulations that you have with you. It will go easier than if some jealous fellow sends the LEO to arrest the guy with "illegal fish".

• NorthernNorthern Posts: 711 Officer

Rich M..... I'm somewhat of a novice on state vs, federal water regs, but your post seems like very solid advice. Thanks.

• shempshemp Posts: 489 Deckhand

I would suggest taking a couple of cell vids while someone is hooked up / upon landing fish, and including a shot of the coords from the plotter

• HuntnfeeshHuntnfeesh Posts: 234 Deckhand

No need to prove innocence

still waiting for a FWC officer to comment. Thanks for input.

• BarrellBarrell Posts: 967 Officer

I think you figured it out.

Yep like fishing with no bait!

Though the thread said SA Coker would answer questions? Hello

• conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 3,364 Captain

Special Agent Coker is not with the FWC, he works for the Feds (NOAA) and generally defers in State questions.

Agent Coker may have retired though as I haven't seen a post from him in a while but maybe not.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

Pick up the phone and make a call...
    Everyone on the other end of the phone takes my number, but never get a returned call. Plus they sure can answer the question either.
    Well, then you get credit for trying to get an answer.

If the law says 2 red snapper 20-inches or better in state waters.  State waters is 3 miles.  And you are catching them inside state waters - without entering federal waters - go and have fun.  Perfectly legal.
  • saltybumsaltybum Posts: 1,561 Captain
    Is that statute miles or nautical?
  • swampmonsterswampmonster Posts: 249 Deckhand
    Just remember not to leave state waters on your way in. A gps unit may show the line. 
  • SJCSJC Posts: 2,560 Captain

No need to prove innocence

This made me literally laugh out loud. I hope you're joking
    The Beatings will continue until moral improves!
    He does have a point, but we know that it isn't likely that any LEO would just let them go without "proof".
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 3,663 Captain
    Usually the state and fed will set the rules the same but, with red snapper the fed is so hung up on protecting this fish for the commercial fishermen that they won't give the recreational fisherman a chance at them at all, so in this case the state set their own rules for this fish. Unfortunately they are a deep water fish so finding them close to shore is tough to do. Only certain areas can really produce any fish. If you go to the FWC web site they spell out the rules for recreational finishing pretty clearly.

http://www.myfwc.com/media/4219696/QuickChart.pdf
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file