Yankee Capts Feb. 5-8, to Parts Unknown. LOTS of pics.

TeamTekeTeamTeke Posts: 927 Officer

Just got back this morning from a long range trip aboard the Yankee Capts. Somewhere out in the Gulf of Mexico we traveled a long ways before starting to fish. Mostly anglers from New Jersey with their group from their local tackle shop called the Reel Seat. A fun bunch of people including myself and forum member Cameron Sleep. A limited load that I guessed was in the low 20's.

The 100' Yankee Capts at their dock on Stock Island.

Many of the Jersey boys were serious butterfly jig fishermen. Top of the line, expensive tackle they brought. Tiny little narrow reels and skinny rods were their tools. But WOW, a couple of them made a believer out of us bait fishermen. No problem for the big muttons and red grouper we were catching. Even a very large amberjack fell to their tackle.

The catch was mainly muttons and red grouper as I said, but we had a large and varied catch. Also in our bag were African Pompano, kingfish, black grouper, skamp grouper, even a couple of snowy grouper which are rare in our 200-300' of water. Sand tilefish, huge porgy's, barracuda, and sharks also were taken. The hot bait was fresh dead spanish mackerel that I had brought, fresh kingfish caught on-board and also the fresh barracuda which was the best.

During this trip I became better friends with forum member Cameron Sleep.who posts often on this forum about the Yankee Capts. We had met a couple of times before while recreationally fishing for middle keys shrimp. A fine, skilled fisherman he is and we each shared tips and past fishing adventures.

The shrimp fleet in Safe Harbor

One of my muttons from the first night shift.

A mongo porgy was also a common catch.

One of my many muttons.

Blackfin tuna caught on the butterfly jig.

Big amberjack caught on jig with tiny reel and rod.

Christine with a nice mutton snapper.

Christine again with a skamp grouper.

Forum member Cameron Sleep with one of his many muttons.

Cameron and myself with two red groupers.

16 totes I counted. All the back coolers on the Capts were full with fish. Not bad for a limited load trip.

My haul for the trip. Donating it to the Key Colony Beach Clam Bake in about 10 days. 450 people are fed a variety of seafood with plenty of beer and wine.

Happiness is the journey, not the destination.

Replies

• AOKRVsAOKRVs Posts: 1,560 Captain

one of your red groupers turned into a mutton lol
    Thanks for taking the time to put together a nice report with pics
    you guys slayed 'em -
    glad the mods finally approved the report - what a load of **%#

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Marathon, FL -- World Cat 320CC -- Fishing/Snorkeling/Sunset Cruise

. www.AOKCharters.com
  • TeamTekeTeamTeke Posts: 927 Officer

AOKRVs - I fixed it. Sometimes tough to see what you have in the small thumbnails.

• AOKRVsAOKRVs Posts: 1,560 Captain

When you catch that many it is hard to pick one out of the bunch

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Marathon, FL -- World Cat 320CC -- Fishing/Snorkeling/Sunset Cruise

. www.AOKCharters.com
  • globalwavetrackerglobalwavetracker Posts: 226 Deckhand

Nice Catch. What is your take on the jig and drift combo? Must have been fun having the stern to yourself with mostly jiggers. Still a pinky in-place of a RG pic.

• piner_wahoopiner_wahoo Posts: 2,723 Captain

leave it 2 greg to solve problems and make things happen

28' SEA VEE BRAND NEW 200 SUZUKI's- LIVE BAIT OFFSHORE WRECKS DEEP DROP REEFS BACKCOUNTRY
    CUSTOM CHARTERS u pick the boat- Capt.Harlan Trammell
    American Allegiance Charters -LOWER KEYS BACKCOUNTRY FISHING,LOBSTER dives, fish the 33' WORLDCAT w/ AOK+Allegiance!
    your boat or mine, my spots+my gear, your fish.
    BIG WAHOO
    checkout our new website- http://www.american-allegiance-charters.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/American-Allegiance-Charters/708182519302079[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • stc1993stc1993 Posts: 4,199 Captain

You earned your keep on that trip.

• MonelloMonello Posts: 44 Greenhorn

Nice report. I've gotta try 1 of those over night trips.

• NorthernNorthern Posts: 666 Officer

That was a great trip! Soooo many nice fish ! Thanks for hanging in there Team Teke to get the pictures posted.

I'm not sure who is who in some of those pictures, but there is a guy with a blue T-shirt / khaki shorts, and holding a Red grouper. He has a very cool tool holster on his hip. Does anybody know where a guy could buy that holster?

• KCBKCB Posts: 118 Deckhand

Nice trip Ron and Cameron. i live in Jersey and have a house on 9th street in KCB. I enjoy reading both of your posts. I live near Dave from the Reel Seet and he is my go to tackle shop. i will see his pictures this weekend.
    Thanks
    Mike.

@Northern said:
    That was a great trip! Soooo many nice fish ! Thanks for hanging in there Team Teke to get the pictures posted.

I'm not sure who is who in some of those pictures, but there is a guy with a blue T-shirt / khaki shorts, and holding a Red grouper. He has a very cool tool holster on his hip. Does anybody know where a guy could buy that holster?

I think that it is Cameron with the cool tool holster. Hard to tell with the hat and sunglasses. There is also a picture of him holding a Mutton. The holster that I have will only hold a pliers and short knife. I like that his has room for a hook remover and scissors as well.

Northern- that holster is from Home Depot. All the mates use them also.

I forgot to mention that we did have a major emergency on the boat the second day. The coffee machine started leaking and would not stop. Captain Greg and chef Chad tried several tricks to get it sealed without luck. Chad ended up brewing a super strong batch of cowboy coffee (just throwing the grounds into the pot) that you would take half a cup then add the other half cup of hot water from the machine. OK, emergency adverted.

@TeamTeke said:
    Northern- that holster is from Home Depot. All the mates use them also.

Thanks Ron! I'll try to find one at a Home Depot up north here, so that I will be ready for the next time that I come to the Keys.

Cowboy coffee is good.... if it isn't too chewy! Grandma used an egg or 2 at the end to settle the grounds.

• cameron sleepcameron sleep Posts: 405 Deckhand

@Northern said:

Tool holster is less than ten bucks at Home Depot. The version with the metal clip across the front is a bit better than without,

• cameron sleepcameron sleep Posts: 405 Deckhand

Well that report was worth waiting for! Great pics and story, Ron!
    I've been donating my used tool holsters to the crew over the years, they don't wear out, but they need some deodorizing from time to time. The newer version loops on a belt via a big flap with Velcro. It is Husky brand , four barrel pouch, the tag says 1002299996, and the bar code is 6 4432300131 5 Home Depot will probably order them in for you.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file