Hope you like mosquitoes!!!!

bswivbswiv Posts: 6,830 Admiral

Based on what we are seeing here in Central Putnam County it is a fair bet that the mosquito population available at about the time spring turkey starts will be off the charts. The last 10 days or so the little guys have been slowly ramping up. Yesterday while working on fire breaks( more like canals right now!! ) there was the occasional during the day.

And then about sunset I was out checking a recently planted stand of trees, in the wide open, and they ramped up out in the field. That is not a good sign.

This is especially true as it seems the long range forecast of a "Dry Spring" is going to be very hard pressed to materialize. Got 4 possible rain days in the short term forecast starting Saturday, and with the groundwater backed up as it is, all the lakes in the Keystone area are at levels not seen in decades!!!, it will take the trees leaving out and starting to suck water to really dry things.

Replies

• gottheitch22gottheitch22 Posts: 4,094 Captain

Might be a stupid question but why does all these place dig fire breaks all over and not burn after . Figured its incase of a fire or was a planed burn ?

living life as i like
  • joekat46joekat46 Posts: 1,848 Captain
    edited February 8 #3

We luv them. Makes me glad I bought the overpriced ThermoCell refills. Anyone tried those refill methods on You tube? Seems more trouble than it's worth. Maybe. Most opening mornings we've had two ThermoCells running until about 9am then been able to shut them down. Even at that a bottle of fluid doesn't last long.

• cracker4112cracker4112 Posts: 612 Officer

Being right down the road from you Bswiv, I'm not happy to hear this. I do think we are dryer than your place but those things have wings!

• flydownflydown Posts: 6,459 Admiral

In that case, I'll be breaking out the tent blind a bit early.

DYING for me was the most HE could do. LIVING for HIM is the least I can do
  • SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 4,118 Captain

@gottheitch22 said:

Might be a stupid question but why does all these place dig fire breaks all over and not burn after . Figured its incase of a fire or was a planed burn ?

Wildfire prevention.

I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
  • james 14james 14 Posts: 2,836 Moderator

And here I was hoping the colder winter would've killed a few of them off.

I don't see how it could be any worse than it's been the last 5-6 years. At this point I say bring it on. At least when I'm turkey hunting on the ground I can get away with one unit. In a treestand with the breeze I can't keep them off me even running two units.

• gritsnhuntin1gritsnhuntin1 Posts: 754 Officer

@joekat46 said:
    We luv them. Makes me glad I bought the overpriced ThermoCell refills. Anyone tried those refill methods on You tube? Seems more trouble than it's worth. Maybe. Most opening mornings we've had two ThermoCells running until about 9am then been able to shut them down. Even at that a bottle of fluid doesn't last long.

I refill the butane but haven't had great success with the blue pads so far. My hunting partner swears saywers helps withe skeeters also. I don't seem to notice. I use a headnet and thermocell and remember being in the woods as akid with nothing but a poncho and headnet and using the poncho to make a cocoon to try and keep the bugs at bay.

• bswivbswiv Posts: 6,830 Admiral

@gottheitch22 said:

Part of it is to have breaks already in place should a WILDFIRE occur.

Another part of it is that the weather may not set up the correct conditions such that the land can be burned safely and in a way that produces the desired ends. Here we are so darn wet that fire breaks I mowed over 2 months ago have not been used yet. Ground is soaked and there is standing water in the beds.

We burned 40+ acres on Tuesday up on our sand hill because it was the only really dry place we could find. In a perfect world we'd of waited another 2-4 weeks to get at that area so as to stimulate a better response from the vegetation, and consequently better outcomes for wildlife. But as we've so much to burn and as you run out of time quickly to get these things done we decided to do it so that if we did get a few dry weeks we could focus on our flatwood sites.

Worth noting too, about the fire breaks........establishing a new break with a plow is often followed over the years with a gradual widening with a tractor and disks which smooths out the break. At least on much private land this is so. Those breaks are then available to club members as food plot locations, though with the burning and long rotation timber management there is really no need for extra food, and as places to set stands.

• drgibbydrgibby Posts: 1,195 Officer

Just would not be the same if I wasn`t straining to hear a distant gobble over the hum of a cloud of skeeters...........

• Big MakBig Mak Posts: 1,604 Captain
    edited February 9 #11

Do you guys ever get hit with tiger mosquitos up there? Those things chew during the day, all day long, swarm in massive flocks, typically hang in the woods, and they are BIG. We had them in SC a couple years ago and I thought I was going to need a blood transfusion at the end of the day.

• flydownflydown Posts: 6,459 Admiral

@Big Mak said:
    Do you guys ever get hit with tiger mosquitos up there? Those things chew during the day, all day long, swarm in massive flocks, typically hang in the woods, and they are BIG. We had them in SC a couple years ago and I thought I was going to need a blood transfusion at the end of the day.

We get them. Came here from Asia, I'm told. Dang things will stick their hose through two layers when I'm trimming lanes and bush hogging. Hate 'em.

DYING for me was the most HE could do. LIVING for HIM is the least I can do
  • gladesmangladesman Posts: 814 Officer

@joekat46 said:

Save up about 10 or 15 therma-cell gas bottles and then refill them - to me that is worth it since it may cover more than a years worth of use. I didn't get involved with any use expoxy methods but just pulled the brass thingy on top out with pliers w.cloth to protect the brass, then insert a punch to push ball check down into container, press brass fitting back in and seat carefully and finally put the gas to it. OBTW b4 doing this mark the fill line on the empties using a full factory bottle as a measuring guide - that way U don't overfill the empties.

@gladesman said:

@joekat46 said:

Save up about 10 or 15 therma-cell gas bottles and then refill them - to me that is worth it since it may cover more than a years worth of use. I didn't get involved with any use expoxy methods but just pulled the brass thingy on top out with pliers w.cloth to protect the brass, then insert a punch to push ball check down into container, press brass fitting back in and seat carefully and finally put the gas to it. OBTW b4 doing this mark the fill line on the empties using a full factory bottle as a measuring guide - that way U don't overfill the empties.

This! Any luck with the pads? I’ve seen some different methods online snd never tried anything yet

• bswivbswiv Posts: 6,830 Admiral

Forest Service guys say the resoaking in the right stuff works...............sort of...............

I keep looking for alternatives...anyone else?

• Big MakBig Mak Posts: 1,604 Captain

Thanks for the refill tips! I can remember pre thermacell days trying to hunt without skeeter spray and thinking I was going to lose my mind from the 'roar' of those things screaming around my ears while hunting Brown's Farm.

• Florida BullfrogFlorida Bullfrog Posts: 1,406 Officer

I also do the Thermacell refills by pulling the check valves out. It saves so much money and it lets me use the unit without thinking about whether the mosquitoes are light enough to just endure so as to not burn a precious cannister. I fill mine 3/4 the way full and get several trips out of one canister.

I use green dog fennel when I’m out of pads. Works just as good. I let it get charred then replace it with fresh green fennel.

I found the butane refills from oreily auto work well, they have the perfect sized tube to fit the thermacell bottles. I should have mentioned that earlier. I used to get butane fromm Wally World but they quit carrying the ones with metal tubes so I finally found the others at oreily. It has a bunch of different sized ones in the cap.

• joekat46joekat46 Posts: 1,848 Captain

At one time the cartridges were available considerably cheaper at beauty supply stores. Wife says they were used in some type hair curler thing. Shop around.

• Rpd63Rpd63 Posts: 14 Greenhorn
    edited February 11 #21

ARS mats. Been using them for several years.

• MaineRidaMaineRida Posts: 147 Deckhand

Have you noticed a performance difference with the Ars mats? There is definitely a cost Benefit!

• ChonggChongg Posts: 268 Deckhand

it was already getting bad when on our lease in Nassau during the last weekend of duck season. There is water everywhere. then again, the bugs are always thick up there. might just be the difference between horrible and real horrible.

• PhattkoppPhattkopp Posts: 20 Greenhorn

For the life of me I cannot keep those dang things lit. I've returned them to Thermacell, bought new ones, emailed company about the way I was storing them, and still have a tough time with some models just staying lit. Does this happen to some of yall?

Phattso

• Florida BullfrogFlorida Bullfrog Posts: 1,406 Officer

Trouble staying lit was a problem I noticed more with the old designed Thermacells instead of the new designed ones. The new ones with the knob for an on switch seem to stay lit better and burn hotter, but at the expense of burning butane faster.

I also think Thermacells have a breaking in period. Every one I've owned runs better after it has a few hours of burn time.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file