Single vs multi piece rods

charlessyversoncharlessyverson Posts: 41 Greenhorn

I recently moved to Florida and have previously purchased several St Croix Legend 3 piece travel rods. Now that I am a permanant resident, is there a benefit to purchasing one piece rods? The
Legends are obviously high quality, and I use braid, so I'm not sure there will be much benefit to buying new one piece rods. I am not against spending money!!! But am still looking for any feedback on the benefits of doing so. If I were to purchase one piece rods for inshore, any recommendations for high quality rods?

Replies

• charlessyversoncharlessyverson Posts: 41 Greenhorn

Also, would you rather fish a 1 piece tidemaster or a multi piece legend??

• FlecFlec Posts: 403 Deckhand

I prefer one piece for a more true,uniform action that is not interrupted by joints. 2 piece rods have their place, especially if storage space is limited.

• Bassin AssassinBassin Assassin Posts: 1,200 Officer

One piece always. Two piece rods can come apart at inopportune times.

Improve Our Fishery - Practice Catch and Release
  • jdl1948jdl1948 Posts: 79 Greenhorn

I prefer one-piece for the same reasons as Flec and Bassin Assassin. Plus, I've broken two rods on fish and both were two-piece that broke at the joint. I keep a couple of two-pieces for travel but seldom are they my first choice for a local trip out.

• fordmag84fordmag84 Posts: 37 Greenhorn

I just got a 8' Shimano Teramar, fast action, medium power. So far I am happy with it. I wish I would have got a 7'4", the 8' makes it kinda one dimensional, once you figure it out, it casts a mile, but forget about skipping under docks or 'groves.

• DES51DES51 Posts: 36 Greenhorn

If you are not having issues with the 2 piece, then why replace something that is not broken? I have fished a 2 piece rod for many years and only had a separation happen once!

• Rich MRich M Posts: 638 Officer

Guy I know has a 3 piece St Croix and he uses it for everything - inshore, offshore, freshwater. Great rod.

• jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,211 Moderator

2-piece rods are useful if you're on vacation or if you want to stash one in the car for those days when you can sneak outta work early enough to hit the pier. For offshore, I probably wouldn't use a travel rod. For inshore, as long as you're not targeting big drums/red/tarpon, I guess you'd be fine.

Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • Alex from GAAlex from GA Posts: 1,084 Officer

It's the KISS principle.

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 6,786 Admiral

Never had a big issue with either one. I've cast the end off one before but that was on me.

People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • kellerclkellercl Posts: 895 Officer

In theory 1 piece is better. Having said that I have a couple 3 piece St Croix travel rods... for when I travel by plane and it works just fine. I have landed reds and snook on a 3 piece medium rod, no problem.

• kellerclkellercl Posts: 895 Officer

Oh and if I were going to purchase a 1 piece, I would look at Crowder E-lite, great bang for the buck, great rod.

• cprcpr Posts: 9,170 Admiral

I've caught plenty of fish with both and really don't think it matters (if live baiting) all that much but.....I have very few 2 piece rods left. There have been great deals on quality 1 piece CJ's and redbones the last 3 christmases.

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr
  • GarysmoGarysmo Posts: 117 Deckhand

I have both single and 2-piece. I like the 2-piece if I have to travel somewhere but usually fish single. However, I have to say that when I'm using a decent 2-piece I don't really feel or have any issues with it. I guess it would come down to storage and travel.....

• SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 3,199 Captain

Like the feel of a 1 piece the best and like said before, have had 2pc come apart at the most inopportune time.

• dcrdcr Posts: 257 Deckhand

My 2¢. About half my rods are 2-3-4 piece. The 3 rods I fish the most are 3-piece. It's never occurred to me to save them for traveling. I've never had an issue. Why don't you keep using your travel rods until you need to replace them. By then you'll have a real good idea of what you want.

• TXWahooTXWahoo Posts: 410 Deckhand

While it sound's logical that a 1-piece is better.... guys here catch big tarpon on 4-piece fly rods all the time without issue. The vast majority of fly rods are 3 or 4 piece. I would think if any rod would benefit from 1-piece construction it would be a fly rod but then I'm not a rod builder so I'd be interested to hear from someone who more knowledgable on the subject.

Most rods there days seem to be fast action too, only really bending in the upper 20-25% of the blank so I don't know why a ferrule half way down the blank would matter much.

• excaliberexcaliber Posts: 9 Greenhorn

I think the actions overall are much better on a one piece blank. I do own several two piece ultralight trout rods(Fresh water) but all my saltwater sticks are all one piece. I can see the need for a traveling fisherman to own a two or three piece rod as it can be a pain to travel with rods longer than 7'

• IS IT SLOTIS IT SLOT Posts: 188 Deckhand

gloomis (fan)
    shimano tc4 blanks (amazing)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file