Former UWF board member/?president? citied for alleged baiting violation updates thread

Replies

• binellishtrbinellishtr Posts: 7,380 Admiral

maybe surfman can take the lead here, he seems to be in the know?

it's good to see a former restrictionist appreciate what the results have lead to at MINWR

• PinmanPinman Posts: 1,282 Officer

Playing nice with the Refuge staff has resulted in shell limits, reduction in the shooting time, closure of the Indian River, more permits, boat operation restrictions, and a wholesale closure for 2 weeks based on whims. Meanwhile Snow Geese cant be added to the legal game even though they have been legal in the State for years and MINWR is probably the best place to have a chance at one.

crying shame, maybe a group should volunteer to fix more boards or clean the place up and get in good graces with the decision makers.

• H20dadH20dad Posts: 689 Officer

@Pinman said:
    Playing nice with the Refuge staff has resulted in shell limits, reduction in the shooting time, closure of the Indian River, more permits, boat operation restrictions, and a wholesale closure for 2 weeks based on whims. Meanwhile Snow Geese cant be added to the legal game even though they have been legal in the State for years and MINWR is probably the best place to have a chance at one.

And, nobody has brought up that the group that claims they are going to get things improved at minwr, just had two board members implicated in baiting on minwr.

My guess no gains for hunters next year maybe loss of last two weeks of season.

• woeivwoeiv Posts: 55 Greenhorn

If y'all cared half as much about hunting as you do about drama, a lot more ducks would die.

@woeiv said:
    If y'all cared half as much about hunting as you do about drama, a lot more ducks would die.

Go shoot some ducks and post up pictures for us.

• Rich MRich M Posts: 890 Officer

LOL! Just make sure the feeder isn't showing in the background. Aside from offshore bottom fishermen, I don't know of anyone who get jerked around more than duck hunters.

Who's gonna lead this up?

Who is Surfman? I'm just a ball of energy with this one - no-one knows me anymore and that's okay. Shame that we need to rise up once again.

It is like the horror movie and the dude always keeps killing the folks, one at a time, every time they get separated. Need to stick tight and do something memorable.

• duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 18,482 AG

@Rich M said:

Who's gonna lead this up?

The age old question.....

answered with... If it isn't you...it isn't getting done and wasn't that important anyway.

There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
    edited February 20 #71

This is always where Newton stops talking. I'm not a member of UWF, not a director, not anything. Don't want to undo any work the organization may have done.

Direct people to FSCA that Org has no agenda other than equality for all hunting and hunters. They know how to navigate these waters as well. They were the ones who even got those STA's opened

• bgeorgebgeorge Plant City FLPosts: 1,293 Officer

@binellishtr said:
    Direct people to FSCA that Org has no agenda other than equality for all hunting and hunters. They know how to navigate these waters as well. They were the ones who even got those STA's opened

FSCA definitely does good work. They have a membership calendar out that for $35 you are members and have chances to win great prizes each week. I would not pull funding from one but join another if a UWF member.

G&B Gator Gear got 10 extra and gave them away as prizes.

I am still recovering from finding something binellishtr and I both support.

The man who moves a mountain begins by carrying away small stones. Hopefully the next man is not dropping his stones on the mountain you are trying to move.
  • gottheitch22gottheitch22 Posts: 4,094 Captain

@bgeorge said:

@binellishtr said:

FSCA definitely does good work. They have a membership calendar out that for $35 you are members and have chances to win great prizes each week. I would not pull funding from one but join another if a UWF member.

G&B Gator Gear got 10 extra and gave them away as prizes.

I am still recovering from finding something binellishtr and I both support.

What is FSCA ?? ASKING FOR A FREIND

living life as i like
  • bgeorgebgeorge Plant City FLPosts: 1,293 Officer

Florida Sportsman's Conservation Association

http://www.fscai.com/

The man who moves a mountain begins by carrying away small stones. Hopefully the next man is not dropping his stones on the mountain you are trying to move.
  • MarlinBohnerMarlinBohner The darkest depths of Brevard countyPosts: 61 Greenhorn

@woeiv said:

Hit the nail on the head. While everyone was complaining about the restrictions at minwr I was paddling in there in my canoe and having great hunts.

Everybody gets one

I kill plenty of ducks.

@MarlinBohner said:
    @woeiv said:

Hit the nail on the head. While everyone was complaining about the restrictions at minwr I was paddling in there in my canoe and having great hunts.

Good for you both. Seems the Restrictions are working out for some. Ive hunted there since about 95 and I remember awesome hunts with 2 boxes of shells, no permits and running my boat anywhere I want.

Next up; Assigned blinds

• GoldHunterGoldHunter Posts: 195 Deckhand

Seems like an awful lot of gum flapping going on here but not much in the way of real ideas or people volunteering to actually DO anything

edited February 18 #79

@GoldHunter said:
    Seems like an awful lot of gum flapping going on here but not much in the way of real ideas or people volunteering to actually DO anything

Ill be at the meeting Gold.

Ive offered ideas aplenty directly to Refuge "staff" and LEO - 100 yards off the impoundment dike to allow hunting in the Indian River with its multiple islands and layout opportunities in lieu of shutting it down entirely, motor operation outside the rim ditches on hunt days only which would allow hunters, especially those with physical impairments, ease of access to hunt locations without having to worry about fighting a wind to get back and at the same time disturbing other hunters, 50 shells to allow for chasing cripples and those who actually would like to pursue the 26 bag limit of Waterfowl allowed.

What are you going to DO. I'm talking about outside of criticizing...

• MarlinBohnerMarlinBohner The darkest depths of Brevard countyPosts: 61 Greenhorn

I'd say make all of the refuge paddle in only like the STA's. Can only run the rim ditch now is 99% of the cause ofthe problems out there. Trying to post pictures from this season, but this new format blows!

Everybody gets one

• HuntnfeeshHuntnfeesh Posts: 234 Deckhand

No no no... paddle in only will only work if they make all the levees driveable. Just because you're killing birds from your canoe doesn't mean I should have to drag my 90 year old grandad across mud flats when I've got a long tail made for exactly that. The rim ditch only idea at least allows access to areas remote from the ramps without paddling, and good luck getting anybody with limited mobility in and out of a canoe or kayak. We don't need more regulations, we just need better compliance with the existing ones.

• HuntnfeeshHuntnfeesh Posts: 234 Deckhand
    edited February 18 #82

And you don't begin to understand the problems if you think the running outside the rim ditch is 99%... a few of the other 1% are loss of vegetation, water level & salinity mismanagement, loss of hunting area (do you remember hunting west gator creek? The Indian river islands? I do), increased regulation across the board (shell count, rim ditch rule), no transferability of purchased permits, the attempted loss of the last 2 weeks of season, lack of enforcement (I blame the budget, not the officers, they do a jam up job when they're there), the lack of personal accountability and mutual respect amongst some hunters is right up there with the rest of these issues and that's the hard one to manage.

• navigator2navigator2 Posts: 22,395 AG

@Pinman said:

@GoldHunter said:

Ill be at the meeting Gold.

Ive offered ideas aplenty directly to Refuge "staff" and LEO - 100 yards off the impoundment dike to allow hunting in the Indian River with its multiple islands and layout opportunities in lieu of shutting it down entirely, motor operation outside the rim ditches on hunt days only which would allow hunters, especially those with physical impairments, ease of access to hunt locations without having to worry about fighting a wind to get back and at the same time disturbing other hunters, 50 shells to allow for chasing cripples and those who actually would like to pursue the 26 bag limit of Waterfowl allowed.

What are you going to DO. I'm talking about outside of criticizing...

To be fair Ron Gold was a Tag member for a different area. The Tag committee had their hands tied and the FWC ended up doing whatever they wanted to. I feel like it was just a dog and pony show to make hunters think they were listening..........my opinion only. He doesn't hunt MINWR so no need to shoot each other.But your observations about MINWR are spot on. The argument about Black Death mudmotors tearing up stuff was a complete ruse and smokescreen to restrict waterfowlers. Full disclosure, I've got a pop corn fart for a mud motor. It especially torqued my **** about areas very remote from rim canals.Keep people out of there during scouting but give them access during the hunt.

I think Guana got a good screwing and there were plenty of ways to allow walkins at other access points. They FUBARED a perfectly decent place for someone local to go out on last minute's notice. I think the two that were the primary TAG members on that area screwed the entire waterfowling community of northeast Florida. Then again, the FWC didn't need much encouragement to do that on their own.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • N. CookN. Cook Posts: 1,917 Captain

Lots of good suggestions. I am still traveling for a few days but will try to get more info on the meeting tomorrow. Incidentally, UW-F did not support the shell limit nor any restrictions. Personally I totally opposed shell limits. Refuge staffs are inherently “restrictive”. People are not paid a lot in those careers and are dedicated to wildlife preservation. We have to work through that prejudice. As a member of the TRUST group, incidentally with FSCA( a great group I belong to) we have been working several years to add new hunting to Florida’s NW Refuges. Added gators to LOXNWR and deer to MINWR plus others. More to come. We have been meeting over three years, using the National Wildlfe Refuge Association and FWC as the conduits. UW-F makes these meetings over the years as it will be TRUST between the USFWS and sports people, hunters, that will improve hunting opportunities. Not easy, and frustrating slow. But, I can tell you, without the relationship developed at those TRUST meetings over the years I do not believe the upper management at USFWS would have reversed the reduction in the MINWR season.

• ChetChet Posts: 290 Deckhand
    edited February 19 #85

Is it true that the feeder had been out since October? Must have been quite the hot spot! Trail by jury? I hope I get called up.

Is it true Mr. Jones told the FWC officer after the officer identified himself that "I'm President of UWF"?

@Chet said:

Is it true that the feeder had been out since October? Must have been quite the hot spot! Trail by jury? I hope I get called up.

Is it true Mr. Jones told the FWC officer after the officer identified himself that "I'm President of UWF"?

Read the attached incident report in post #21 all your questions answered.

• ChetChet Posts: 290 Deckhand

Snap!

edited February 19 #89

Nav I know Goldhunter probably does more than I will ever do (pretty sure he's UWF Regional too)

What some may not know, but you do, is that "flapping gums" on the internet (Southern Duck Hunter) started what would eventually become UWF. Actions start with ideas.

And then there needs to be support for things to become reality.

• BodineBodine Posts: 2,847 Captain

LMAO at that feeder, amateurs for sure.

F the feds

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file